922(r) compliance on an SKS

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Dust, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

Dad wants to use the SKS to go hunting, and has some modifications that detract from the Curios and Relics. SKSboards shows that there are 14 parts to an SKS
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678.0

• Frames
    • Barrels
    • Bolts
    • Bolt Carriers
    • Gas Pistons
    • Trigger Housings
    • Triggers
    • Hammers
    • Sears
    • Disconnector B
    • Buttstocks
    • Forearm handguards
    • Magazine Bodies
    • Follower
    It seems that a detachable magazine would be follower and magazine body, and an aftermarket stock would be buttstock and handguard. This would bring me to 10 or less imported parts right?

2. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    SKS

I have hunted with my SKS, though I might have seen a Game Warden or two, no ATF agents out there on the hunting lease. But...that particular
    SKS differs only from its original appearance by a VietNam era plastic stock spray painted flat black, and an ugly snouted removable hi cap magazine. There are removable (still ugly snout) 5 round magazines available to comply with some different areas laws pretaining to mag capacity.

Personally, if my SKS was stocked up to look like an AR or AK, with all the
    military bells and whistles I would choose another rifle to take hunting.:texas:

3. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I agree with cuate. The sks doesnt work as well with detachable mags.

4. jamesmp

jamesmp Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    I have a Yugo SKS and use stripper clips. They seem to work well...:happy0001:

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You don't need modifications to an SKS to go hunting. You aren't going to be railing off more than 2 - 3 shots before everything in a square mile has booked it.

6. Dust

Dust Active Member

Dad can't find the original stock, so we need the DBM plus stock until we can find the other stock. We have mags that feed fine with the gun, just a little difficult getting them out of the gun.

7. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think you're good to go if you replace the items you listed above. As long as you are at only 10 original items you should be ok. I had to go through the same process when I was doing some work on a Saiga AK47 variant. If anything consult a reputable local dealer you buy parts through and see if they could point you in the right direction just to be sure.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You might try filing down the edges of the mag. The mags and receivers are made to all kinds of tolerances and variations.

9. Dust

Dust Active Member

yeah, that I what I am looking at. The new thing I am told is tapco magazines. There is a bolt mod you can do to get the magazine to load without having the bolt open, so I may try to get some more info on the mod, and try to get the gun modified by dad while I am here.

10. Eli

Eli Well-Known

Just leave the damn fixed magazine in it and 922 doesn't apply.

Eli