Capitol Armory ad

95% of population should not go to college...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some of the least intelligent people I've met were highly educated, and like vegans spared no moment telling you about it.

What kind of engineering? I'll use (one part of) my field, where the "software engineer" title I personally feel is thrown around like Oprah audience prizes. "You're an engineer, she's an engineer, he's an engineer, you're all engineers!" Some are well educated with CS degrees. Some are actually brilliant and had no formal education at all.

I get your point on doctors and dentists, but the crux of your argument most certainly cannot be applied universally.
    Mechanical engineering. Electrical engineering. Civil engineering. Chemical Engineering.

I am not talking about titles (everyone in a bank is at least a VP, including tellers). I am talking about function.

You don't want a HS grad designing the bridge you drive over. Nor the skyscraper in downtown.
    Target Sports

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wrong.

Try doing an engineering job without the knowledge gained in an engineering college. Want your dentist or surgeon to have only gone to high school?

People need to think before they type.
    Yes that is correct, Oldag. I was basing it off of the header. 95%. Obviously you can't be a surgeon without college. I didn't know I had to convey it wasn't an absolute.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Son and I work in the same field. I have a 4 year degree and he doesn't though we make nearly the same amount. We will typically work for large corporations and his issue later may be not having a degree as he progresses. Too many companies require a degree above a certain level in the company though you could have a degree in basket weaving and it would qualify you since...you just need a degree.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Mechanical engineering. Electrical engineering. Civil engineering. Chemical Engineering.

I am not talking about titles (everyone in a bank is at least a VP, including tellers). I am talking about function.

You don't want a HS grad designing the bridge you drive over. Nor the skyscraper in downtown.
    Hell naw I don't want high-school grads working on me I just had arterial surgery on me .
    I don't want stupid people building bridges etc...
    My dad was a tower crane operator for better part of 35 years. No college but could build a house from scratch watched him do it.
    Me no college but I'm not stupid l drive a truck hauled hazmat including nuclear weapons and waste. So I had to learn s lot of shit.
    I'm not college material never was. But in some areas I'm just as smart.

So in my uneducated mind college is a calling period. Philosophy ain't shit to me . Come explain one night at a well in the middle of nowhere by yourself dark all alone when you are loading oil and something goes wrong how to fix it. I don't want to know about Plato sun su or something that ain't going help you survive.
    Some of those boys out there ain't college educated. But by ojt are just as Smart I'd roll with them anyday that a so-called college grad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Hell naw I don't want high-school grads working on me I just had arterial surgery on me .
    I don't want stupid people building bridges etc...
    My dad was a tower crane operator for better part of 35 years. No college but could build a house from scratch watched him do it.
    Me no college but I'm not stupid l drive a truck hauled hazmat including nuclear weapons and waste. So I had to learn s lot of shit.
    I'm not college material never was. But in some areas I'm just as smart.

So in my uneducated mind college is a calling period. Philosophy ain't shit to me . Come explain one night at a well in the middle of nowhere by yourself dark all alone when you are loading oil and something goes wrong how to fix it. I don't want to know about Plato sun su or something that ain't going help you survive.
    Some of those boys out there ain't college educated. But by ojt are just as Smart I'd roll with them anyday that a so-called college grad
    Please understand, one does not get a high IQ by attending college. Intelligence is a trait some people are born with (others less so). Some highly intelligent people never attended college. My grandfather didn't make it to junior high, but he could design and put up a house or two story garage with ease. And some people with low intelligence have gone to college, some of them even gained degrees.

One gains knowledge, techniques, tools, etc. in college. Some this can be gained outside college. But it is harder and requires a mentor in the workplace who is capable and willing to teach.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yep not going to pay tens of thousands of dollars to have some communist brainwash my kids to hate themselves for being White.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Yep not going to pay tens of thousands of dollars to have some communist brainwash my kids to hate themselves for being White.
    Damn dawg I can do that for under 5k but wait there's more with the 5k I can deplete yo bank account and make you feel good about yoself
    giphy-1.gif

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Please understand, one does not get a high IQ by attending college. Intelligence is a trait some people are born with (others less so). Some highly intelligent people never attended college. My grandfather didn't make it to junior high, but he could design and put up a house or two story garage with ease. And some people with low intelligence have gone to college, some of them even gained degrees.

One gains knowledge, techniques, tools, etc. in college. Some this can be gained outside college. But it is harder and requires a mentor in the workplace who is capable and willing to teach.
    Yes sir iQ is a gift but in my travels your want to is bigger than anything else

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The apprenticeship seems to have gone by the wayside . I would suggest that is where most of the farriers now learned their trade.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I believe there are farrier (horseshoeing.) schools. I have read some full-time farriers teach classes on horseshoeing so it doesn't become a lost art.
    See my original post for link to only farrier school in TX.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Drive can make up for a lot, but not always everything.
    With out a doubt I'm not gonna besmerch college at all we can't live without smart people. My point is college for most of us is a waste of time. I need smart people in my life period we all do those people impress me. I'm talking about someone that says I'm a college grad and I'm smarter than you is bullshit.
    I'm also always down with someone smarter than me.
    Because guess what they Can give me something more important than anything
    KNOWLEDGE AND THAT THEY CAN NEVER EVER TAKE AWAY FROM ME.
    IM blessed to have known some very smart people.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Let's just call it out for what it is - college is a niche environment being force-applied to the masses in the name of profits. There are many fields where a degree is unnecessarily required, soft required, or recommended and may not guarantee the true applicability of the person to the craft. Some of the most successful businessmen don't hold business degrees. Some of the most talented and successful musicians don't hold a music degree. So on and so on. For that matter some doctors have degrees and a medical license but have no business practicing. Pushing the idea that college is a prerequisite to living a comfortable life is one of the biggest boondoggles we've seen in recent decades.

To address the reply a bit earlier in the thread from oldag, colleges offer up an engineering degree for computer science, so it's more than "just a title." Is the degree required to be successful in the field? Hell no. In my experiences the best often are not "engineers."

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Let's just call it out for what it is - college is a niche environment being force-applied to the masses in the name of profits.
    In general, I'd agree with that statement. I'm the Director of Engineering at my company, I've worked with some of the best degree-less software and electrical engineers you can imagine for 35 years. I don't give a damn if you've got a degree or not - I want you to be able to design stuff artfully. What makes these guys exceptional, is that they had the smarts, and the drive to learn the knowledge without going to college. That drive and inquisitiveness made them exceptional engineers.

That being said, they are the exception, not the rule. Most engineers (ME, EE, CE) gain a lot of knowledge in college that they probably wouldn't have had the drive to acquire otherwise - I put myself firmly in that category.

I think to some extent, software engineers are fringe to this. I've written a lot of code, and some of the structure of the code of our degreed software engineers makes me cringe.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Let's just call it out for what it is - college is a niche environment being force-applied to the masses in the name of profits. There are many fields where a degree is unnecessarily required, soft required, or recommended and may not guarantee the true applicability of the person to the craft. Some of the most successful businessmen don't hold business degrees. Some of the most talented and successful musicians don't hold a music degree. So on and so on. For that matter some doctors have degrees and a medical license but have no business practicing. Pushing the idea that college is a prerequisite to living a comfortable life is one of the biggest boondoggles we've seen in recent decades.

To address the reply a bit earlier in the thread from oldag, colleges offer up an engineering degree for computer science, so it's more than "just a title." Is the degree required to be successful in the field? Hell no. In my experiences the best often are not "engineers."
    Your experience is apparently limited in scope. I have had the fortune/misfortune of working in a number of industries. Not just CS.

Since you don't think an engineering degree is required, can you design a 20 story building for Houston? Can you specify the material to use for a storage tank holding steam turbine condensate? Or for a product stream containing hydrogen cyanide? How about designing a transistor? Can you specify the bolt size, material and heat treat for the bolts holding a wind turbine blade to the hub? Designed a jet engine recently?

Your generalization is simply not valid.

Top Bottom