9mm 1911's

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
I was dreaming today about a new gun. I've been thinking 1911 for a while, but I like the idea of having my good, cheap 9mm luger ammo to feed it.

What has been your experience with them? I'm thinking Springfield, cause I really didn't want to spend a whole lot. Is there any real differences or problems?

I'll start saving up so that I might be able to get one by the time I graduate med school.

Thanks.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I'm not much help but can tell you this. My wife has a new Ultra (3") Kimber 1911 in 9mm. It choked more than our other 4 Kimbers combined, the mag sucks (major major major) and sticks going in and coming out. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed it, the mag, and the springs before using taking it to the range.

She's put 300 or so rounds through it, didn't care about the break in ordeal, and absolutely loves it. I wanted her to get the PX4 Storm.

fm2

Event Coordinator
Apr 27, 2008
It choked more than our other 4 Kimbers combined, the mag sucks (major major major) and sticks going in and coming out.
The Springfield EMP has been recommended to me by some trainers.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I think one of the major problems with 9mm 1911's is the mags. I think the mag that causes the problems are the ones with spacers. A lot of people have and love them once they figure out what works best in them.

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
Just a thought! Why would you carry a full size 1911 in 9mm? I read something the other day, and I quote" .45 because shooting twice is just silly"

This should gety some replies>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
You should do well with a fullsize 9mm. Colt, Springfield and STI make reliable running guns.

Many 3" 1911s in 45 and 9 have trouble as the recoil cycle is drastically shortened. When there is a very narrow margin for every step in the timing cycle to begin with, then chop that margin even more, timing is even more critical.

Use good mags with a 9mm and you should be ok.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
Just a thought! Why would you carry a full size 1911 in 9mm? I read something the other day, and I quote" .45 because shooting twice is just silly"

This should gety some replies>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can think of a few but I'm sure those reasons wouldn't stand when compared to the ego you place on the caliber. :rolleyes:

Cost - cheaper
Handling - quicker on target after a shot; easier recoil for injured or disabled hands & wrists; lighter recoil spring; capacity

Baiting is not a good way to go on the forum. Contribute something worth reading. Yes as Navyguy posted 115+115 = 230.

I guess those who use a .45 don't use the technique of shooting until the threat is stopped? Are you certain the .45 will stop with one shot all the time?

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads