• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was dreaming today about a new gun. I've been thinking 1911 for a while, but I like the idea of having my good, cheap 9mm luger ammo to feed it.

What has been your experience with them? I'm thinking Springfield, cause I really didn't want to spend a whole lot. Is there any real differences or problems?

I'll start saving up so that I might be able to get one by the time I graduate med school.

Thanks.
    DK Firearms

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm not much help but can tell you this. My wife has a new Ultra (3") Kimber 1911 in 9mm. It choked more than our other 4 Kimbers combined, the mag sucks (major major major) and sticks going in and coming out. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed it, the mag, and the springs before using taking it to the range.

She's put 300 or so rounds through it, didn't care about the break in ordeal, and absolutely loves it. I wanted her to get the PX4 Storm.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It choked more than our other 4 Kimbers combined, the mag sucks (major major major) and sticks going in and coming out.

The Springfield EMP has been recommended to me by some trainers.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think one of the major problems with 9mm 1911's is the mags. I think the mag that causes the problems are the ones with spacers. A lot of people have and love them once they figure out what works best in them.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Just a thought! Why would you carry a full size 1911 in 9mm? I read something the other day, and I quote" .45 because shooting twice is just silly"

This should gety some replies>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You should do well with a fullsize 9mm. Colt, Springfield and STI make reliable running guns.

Many 3" 1911s in 45 and 9 have trouble as the recoil cycle is drastically shortened. When there is a very narrow margin for every step in the timing cycle to begin with, then chop that margin even more, timing is even more critical.

Use good mags with a 9mm and you should be ok.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Just a thought! Why would you carry a full size 1911 in 9mm? I read something the other day, and I quote" .45 because shooting twice is just silly"

I can think of a few but I'm sure those reasons wouldn't stand when compared to the ego you place on the caliber. :rolleyes:

Cost - cheaper
    Handling - quicker on target after a shot; easier recoil for injured or disabled hands & wrists; lighter recoil spring; capacity

Baiting is not a good way to go on the forum. Contribute something worth reading. Yes as Navyguy posted 115+115 = 230.

I guess those who use a .45 don't use the technique of shooting until the threat is stopped? Are you certain the .45 will stop with one shot all the time?

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I'm not much help but can tell you this. My wife has a new Ultra (3") Kimber 1911 in 9mm. It choked more than our other 4 Kimbers combined, the mag sucks (major major major) and sticks going in and coming out. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed it, the mag, and the springs before using taking it to the range.

She's put 300 or so rounds through it, didn't care about the break in ordeal, and absolutely loves it. I wanted her to get the PX4 Storm.

Couple of quick Q's?
    If you know, how's the recoil on the Kimber compared to the PX4 or even the 92FS?

Did you get the 9mm Kimber locally, or did you have to order it?

Thanks,
    Rich

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Recoil is light on both the Kimber and Beretta, at least in my opinion. Got the Kimber local and sadly paid close to retail. My wife loves Kimbers and doesn't ask for much so I didn't fight it, lol.

Just ordered some new mags from Tripp. Hopefully that will fix my break-in issues.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I can think of a few but I'm sure those reasons wouldn't stand when compared to the ego you place on the caliber. :rolleyes:

Cost - cheaper
    Handling - quicker on target after a shot; easier recoil for injured or disabled hands & wrists; lighter recoil spring; capacity

Baiting is not a good way to go on the forum. Contribute something worth reading. Yes as Navyguy posted 115+115 = 230.

I guess those who use a .45 don't use the technique of shooting until the threat is stopped? Are you certain the .45 will stop with one shot all the time?I didnt realize I was posting with a caliber ego. I am sorry if I offended your sensitive feelings. I didn't bait anyone. If you can do it then you dont have to question it!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Couple of quick Q's?
    If you know, how's the recoil on the Kimber compared to the PX4 or even the 92FS?

Did you get the 9mm Kimber locally, or did you have to order it?

Thanks,
    Rich

My lady loves her kimber custom in 9 and the recoil allows her to put them in nice tight groupings... I've never shot one of the PX4s before but there was a guy next to us at the range a couple weeks ago that was complaining that it was the biggest piece of shit he'd shot in a long time

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    series 70

if you can find a series 70 colt they are the dream. I have shot mine over two thousand times with little problem. fits my wifes hand nicely also

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've never shot one of the PX4s before but there was a guy next to us at the range a couple weeks ago that was complaining that it was the biggest piece of shit he'd shot in a long time

I'll have to tell my wife that for some brownie points. Luckily, I didn't push the px4 on her.

Had this been my first Kimber, I would have hated the brand.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

Some 9mm loads have more energy than the same brand loads in .45

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    9mm is a high pressure load while 45 is low pressure, +P excepted, and to me, I prefer the 45 recoil as it may be greater but is more of a push than a kick.

Ego has nothing to do with shooting a 45. Several of the forum members have seen me shoot 380, 9 and 45 (all 1911 style pistols of course).

The quote about shooting twice is silly and silly to boot. It is just with a 45, a single stack of ammo will do it. With double stack 9s, well look at what Navyguy said.

besides double stacks are for pancakes or people who plan on missing half the time.:p

1911 9mm is a good gun. STI makes some reasonable ones her in TEXAS
    and mine has been trouble free from day one.

All my guns are trouble free or I would make them so. Any malfunctions I have ever had could be attributted to either ammo or magazines. Granted they all regardless of brand require break in when new. But so what.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I didnt realize I was posting with a caliber ego. I am sorry if I offended your sensitive feelings. I didn't bait anyone. If you can do it then you dont have to question it!

I do it ;) Do you think I'm putting full confidence in only one shot of my .45? Do you carry one round and one round only? How certain are you? Hmm?

I misinterpreted then. Explain to me this, what was your intention behind your original comments? Help me understand.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    9mm is a high pressure load while 45 is low pressure, +P excepted, and to me, I prefer the 45 recoil as it may be greater but is more of a push than a kick.

Ego has nothing to do with shooting a 45. Several of the forum members have seen me shoot 380, 9 and 45 (all 1911 style pistols of course).

The quote about shooting twice is silly and silly to boot. It is just with a 45, a single stack of ammo will do it. With double stack 9s, well look at what Navyguy said.

besides double stacks are for pancakes or people who plan on missing half the time.:p

1911 9mm is a good gun. STI makes some reasonable ones her in TEXAS
    and mine has been trouble free from day one.

All my guns are trouble free or I would make them so. Any malfunctions I have ever had could be attributted to either ammo or magazines. Granted they all regardless of brand require break in when new. But so what.

I would not venture to say that double stacked mags are meant for those that plan on missing... I know that me personally if I ever got to the point where I couldn't hit it with my carry or my car piece that they would be worthless to me and I'd stop toting them around... That being said a double-stack for home defense could be a strong case due to research that home break-ins that are operated by teams are on the statistical rise in the united states when they occur at night... Inidividuals (your one shot taking care of the problem situation) have smartened up and only pull their looting during daytime hours with less interference... For a carry piece I would say single or double just depends on that persons preference...

Top Bottom