• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I went and looked at guns today. What fun that was. I was lucky enough to find someone behind the counter who was very knowledgable and able to communicate that knowledge to me. I was very proud to be the only woman amongst about 10 men at the counter. I learned some good stuff today.

I saw a Sig 9mm that I liked but the gun was just too big in size to conceal on me. I asked him if there were 9mm smaller in size. (By the time I left, he suggested I maybe take a look at a Baretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact.)

He began to tell me about the guns, the weight of the bullets (I'm sure y'all don't call them bullets) and velocity. The whole velocity thing was so interesting. He said the velocity of a 9mm is fast thus able to cut through your target (victim) quickly. He said it was not uncommon to hear a story about a "target" being shot several times and still not down. He explained how a .45 has a slower velocity therefore picking up energy as it travels and making a more fatal impact. So I asked then why would someone use a 9mm vs. a .45 if the goal is personal protection and the 9mm might not do the job? My sole intent is personal protection and if I'm a good shot, I don't want my target still standing when I hit with a 9mm. I don't want any second guessing if it's between me and someone who is threatening my life.

Am I going in the right direction here or am I missing something?
    9 vs 40 vs 45...this will go on for ages - hehe. The best advice I can give you is; find your gun, then fire it in different calibers then get the biggest one you could comfortably shoot. Shot placement is key, of course a bigger bullet helps.

Top Bottom