9mm Defense ammo of choice

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by navyguy, Apr 22, 2009.

1. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    What are you 9mm guys and gals loading up as a defense round? I lean towards the Federal HST and Hydro Shok in 147 Gr. I've not done any expansion or penetration testing of my own, but what I have read is impressive.

What say you

2. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I typically use the Federal also, but have a few CorBon self-defense rounds mixed in.

3. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points are my self-defense round of choice regardless of the caliber that I am dealing with..

Only thing I have wanted to try but haven't gotten a chance to test them properly are the CorBon Powerball.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    147 golden sabers or 124 HST...

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Whatever cycles reliably and won't blow the gun to pieces. :p

JHPs are all good these days, make sure you use at least 100 rounds of the stuff through your pistol so you know it feeds properly.

6. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    +1 on the GDHP's

in 9mm, I use 124gr +P, they have a very high energy level and good, reliable expansion

7. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P

8. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hydrashok's are old school, and there is much better stuff out there now so I wouldn't use them unless you don't have a choice. They are not quite as consistent at expansion as some of the newer stuff. When penetrating through certain heavier barriers (like the FBI four layer denim test) they tend to over penetrate like an FMJ after the JHP nose gets plugged up (at least that's what I've seen on several ballistic tests). Here's my short list of good self defense rounds:

-Federal HST
    -Winchester Ranger SXT
    -Corbon DPX (this is what I use currently)
    -Corbon Pow'RBall (not as good as some of the others, still decent and tends to feed better)
    -Speer Gold Dots
    -Winchester Bonded JHP's (forget the exact name, PDX1 maybe?)
    -Remington Golden Sabers

My top 3 would be:

-Corbon DPX (what I use currently as it's one of the most consistent expanding rounds I've seen)
    -Federal HST
    -Winchester Ranger SXT

Out of all the professional ballistics test I've seen and all the recommendations I've seen from knowledgeable sources, those 3 seem to be some of the better and more consistent rounds out there. The SXT's and HST's get used by many LE departments too I believe.

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I like DPX, but currently can't afford them. I have some cheap Federal Classic 115 gr. HP rounds that should still work just fine. I'll just make up with volume.

10. lsmith103

lsmith103 New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Seguin, TX
    Home cast 125 gr soft lead HP's. Enough penetration, great expansion and minimal chance of collateral damage.