I'm looking at getting a AK pistol for home defense/ CQC

Which caliber would be better/best ... 9mm or 556
    Venture Surplus ad

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    5.56 but it'd be an AR. And it'd have a suppressor.
    I chose the AK because I have mastered it plus when it comes to cleaning, by the time you have striped, including the bolt, an AR I would already be done with the AK, I have even striped and cleaned an AK blindfolded, cleaning and maintenance is quick and easy

I plan to have a suppressor; I have fired a short barrel weapon in doors before and I don't want to do it again if I have to use it

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I chose the AK because I have mastered it plus when it comes to cleaning, by the time you have striped, including the bolt, an AR I would already be done with the AK, I have even striped and cleaned an AK blindfolded, cleaning and maintenance is quick and easy

I plan to have a suppressor; I have fired a short barrel weapon in doors before and I don't want to do it again if I have to use it
    Ar's are quick an easy too. But thats really not going to matter on a house gun

Ak's aren't always concentric, and not as easy to tune, though KNS makes an adjustable piston, you don't have near the options for the AR. If you are really stuck on an AK, i guess get an AK105 from PSA and hope you get a good one.

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Ar's are quick an easy too. But thats really not going to matter on a house gun

Ak's aren't always concentric, and not as easy to tune, though KNS makes an adjustable piston, you don't have near the options for the AR. If you are really stuck on an AK, i guess get an AK105 from PSA and hope you get a good one.
    All my weapons are dual purpose, which is the reason I put "home defense / CQC", primary use 'home defense', if SRHTF "CQC", which I have training in

""IF"" SRHTF does happen I want a weapon I'm used to and easy to maintain

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Are you going to suppress it? If not, the first time you fire a 5.56 pistol inside will make you wish you had, possibly for the rest of your life.

Suppressing AKs comes with some challenges. If that's the way you're going to go, I'd do some research into it.

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Are you going to suppress it? If not, the first time you fire a 5.56 pistol inside will make you wish you had, possibly for the rest of your life.

Suppressing AKs comes with some challenges. If that's the way you're going to go, I'd do some research into it.

The MP 5 I trained on was suppressed so I have a general idea

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you have any close neighbors, they would probably appreciate you not using a 5.56 in the house. After it goes through your walls, it will likely do the same to someone else's nearby. AK and AR are poor platforms for a 9mm. I recommend a 9mm PCC. If you were going to do a pistol anyway, look at the HK MP5K or clone. Easier to suppress and large magazines, not to mention endless accessories. If you want more power than a 9mm, select a handgun load that suits your needs.
    Of course if you buy a .22 TCM handgun, no one entering the house will hang around for the second shot. You may sustain permanent hearing loss from the exploding fireball coming out the end of the barrel. Can effectively be used as a stun grenade. It makes you feel like you are wielding Thor's hammer. 2,000 fps out of a 5" barrel.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If you have any close neighbors, they would probably appreciate you not using a 5.56 in the house. After it goes through your walls, it will likely do the same to someone else's nearby. AK and AR are poor platforms for a 9mm. I recommend a 9mm PCC. If you were going to do a pistol anyway, look at the HK MP5K or clone. Easier to suppress and large magazines, not to mention endless accessories. If you want more power than a 9mm, select a handgun load that suits your needs.
    Of course if you buy a .22 TCM handgun, no one entering the house will hang around for the second shot. You may sustain permanent hearing loss from the exploding fireball coming out the end of the barrel. Can effectively be used as a stun grenade. It makes you feel like you are wielding Thor's hammer. 2,000 fps out of a 5" barrel.
    9mm will typically penetrate more drywall than 5.56, 5.56 will typically yaw and deviate while 9mm keeps going with little deviation.

caliburn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    Houston
    Here are two I have been looking at...

Zastava Arms ZPAP85
    Pioneer Arms Polish Hellpup 5.56
    both those look good. If it were me, I would pick whichever one I could get the better deal on because I figure either 9mm or 556 are equally good for an AK pistol that is planned for close quarters. But probably better lean heavier on whatever would suppress quieter or whatever goes with your family or friend's SHTF stuff if that were the case.

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Unless you're needing it to reach out past 50yds outdoors, I'd go with the 9mm. You can easily get affordable subsonic ammo for it, and it'll do fine for short-range work without the permanent hearing damage. Leave the rifle calibers for rifle-sized firearms....
    This is the 9mm I'm looking at

Kalashnikov USA KP9 KP-9

Top Bottom