Lynx Defense

9mm with (got lucky earlier last year): ~5000 Small Pistol Magnum Primers (NOT LOOKING TO SELL/TRADE) SMPP (SPPM/SMPP?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    I bartered away some SPPs for some rifle powder I like, and was short on, but have almost a full case of small magnum pistol primers SMPP (SPPM?), but mostly reload 9mm, as we have 3 guns that use them...

How much should I back off my load when using SMPP?

Load data (Hogdon site) says 3.8 to 4.4 Universal for 124gr projectiles.
    Lee Second edition has similar data for 100gr frangables (3.8 - 4.2gr Universal).

Assuming conservative lawyer data, as the max speed for 124gr lists 1045 FPS with 4.4gr on Hogdon,
    Should I even back-off 4.0gr of universal with 124gr projectiles, if I use CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers?

I have been using right-at the same data for 115gr FMJ, 124gr X-treme plated FP, and 124gr Acme 124gr RN with S&B/CCI SPP.

During the last shortage, I did test CCI #41 Hard Cup Small rifle primers in 9mm, and small pistol primers (various) in .223/5.56, w/out issue.
    As I recall, #41's chrono'd about + 50-75 FPS in 9mm with the same charge.

The .223/5.56 I did not chrono, but they shot as well as I can shoot with iron-sights in a 1:8 20" AR.

Thoughts?

Please advise...
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I picked up some by mistake once. In my experience with the powders I was using it didn’t make any noticeable difference in velocity or pressure.

Velocity checked with a chronograph. Pressure was only assumed by eyeballing the primers and cases for signs of overpressure although I believe magnum primers are supposed to have a harder cup anyways so it probably wouldn’t show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If you aren't loading near max don't sweat it. I've even used small rifle primers in 9mm using titegroup with no issues. They actually had a slightly lower SD, no pressure signs and almost identical velocities. Only thing you may run into, depending on brand...magnum primer cups are harder and may cause malfunctions in striker fired guns.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    If you can stand youtub, there's a video on there where a guy had a chamber pressure unit, and he tested the difference between primers, everything else equal... he found no difference in pressure, and no difference in velocity. Same loads, everything. You should be good to go with regular loads. That's what I plan to do when I get down to that point.

Top Bottom