Venture Surplus ad

9th circuit ruling on marijuana... can it apply to firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Interesting question. I suspect the ruling won't stand on appeal.

Several states have tried to pass laws saying guns manufactured in a state and kept in that state are not subject to federal regulations. They were all challenged by the Feds and lost in court.

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    This is true that laws did not stand challenging the federal use of Commerce clause, but this is different because it sets precedent (I believe a 3 judge panel does at least). By removing the federal registry wording of the law, you would only be in violation of federal law while fully compliant with state law. You could then cite the 9th circuit ruling saying they need to pound sand.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I wonder what the defense's argument was that they used. I'm guessing they used something along the lines of right to life. If they however used 10th amendment grounds then perhaps there is some precedent that could back up what you are saying although I would guess they would find some way to weasel out of it.

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
    From the article, this appears to be a key point:

[FONT]Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, but Congress has barred the Justice Department from spending money to prevent states from regulating the use or sale of medical pot.

[/FONT]
    Even if Texas changed the law to remove the "if registered under federal law" language, you'd still need Congress to bar the Justice Department from spending money to enforce federal gun laws that are inconsistent with state laws.

Texas is in the 5th Circuit, so the 9th Circuit ruling isn't binding here. So, you'd need to get the 5th Circuit to adopt the 9th Circuit ruling and apply it to state gun laws.

txjames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Top Bottom