9x21

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
9x21 is primarily a European cartridge, though I think it has seen some adoption in South America and parts of the middle east and Asia. It's my understanding that the intent behind it was to offer a cartridge of different dimensions so as to be different from the NATO standard 9x19, as some countries do not allow civilians to own firearms in "military calibers". I may be off on this, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing to keep in mind with 9x21 is, as far as I'm aware, the cartridge is NOT capable of handling significantly increased loadings. I've heard in the past that people have gotten ideas from 9x23 Winchester, which can be loaded extremely hot for a 9mm cartridge, that somehow the same could be done with 9x21. That is not the case, and it doesn't have quite the same potential. I figure SAAMI spec pressure levels, but I don't believe 9x21 can be pushed substantially hotter than standard pressure levels.

Anyways, in America, there is basically no point to this caliber, so I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire something in it unless you're just wanting to add something different to your collection.

London

The advocate's Devil.
TGT Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
Twilight Zone
9x21 is primarily a European cartridge, though I think it has seen some adoption in South America and parts of the middle east and Asia. It's my understanding that the intent behind it was to offer a cartridge of different dimensions so as to be different from the NATO standard 9x19, as some countries do not allow civilians to own firearms in "military calibers".
I have heard that as well. So you're saying it's pretty much on par power-wise with 9x19? Way to go, Euro gun-grabbers! Make it illegal to own 9x19, offer up its nearly identical brother instead! I wonder if .45 GAP is legal in places like Mexico which ban all "Military ammunition?"

Is there any, even slight, advantage to having a race pistol chambered in x21 rather than x19? A tiny bit more accuracy perhaps?

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Is there any, even slight, advantage to having a race pistol chambered in x21 rather than x19? A tiny bit more accuracy perhaps?
I would think if you are wanting to go that route, the .38 Super would be a lot easier path and has more power and uses the same bullet.

(9x21 115 gr =>420 ft/lbs./1300 fps., .38 Super 115 gr =>497 ft/lbs./1395 fps.)

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
I would think if you are wanting to go that route, the .38 Super would be a lot easier path and has more power and uses the same bullet.

(9x21 115 gr =>420 ft/lbs./1300 fps., .38 Super 115 gr =>497 ft/lbs./1395 fps.)
You're right on the money from what I understand.

noylj

Jun 18, 2011
arizona
Gee, I've been shooting 9x21 for about 20 years. Load it long like a .38 Super and run 'em hot.
If you load it to 9x19 COL, then it is simply a 9x19 that head spaces funny.
For whatever reason, the 9x19 and 9x21 can take more pressure than a .38 Super case. Love people talking about what they have never used.
Remember, don't buy any 9x21 guns. Just let me know about them, please.

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Gee, I've been shooting 9x21 for about 20 years. Load it long like a .38 Super and run 'em hot.
If you load it to 9x19 COL, then it is simply a 9x19 that head spaces funny.
For whatever reason, the 9x19 and 9x21 can take more pressure than a .38 Super case. Love people talking about what they have never used.
Remember, don't buy any 9x21 guns. Just let me know about them, please.
I have shot .38 super, and it's max pressure (36,500) is more than the more niche, less powerful, less popular 9x21 (34,084). Maybe you use cheap ass cases or push your loads past max safe pressures to shorten the life of the cases.

Don't need to use one to talk about how deficient it is in performance, popularity, guns chambered for it, etc. No reason to waste good money on one like that. IMHO :peace:

TexMex247

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
May 11, 2009
Leander(NW Austin)
I love my 38 super but my nines end up seeing a lot more daylight and range time. If I ever want to turn it up a notch, I'll get a 357 sig or 9x23 Winchester much sooner than I'd get a 9x21.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
Jul 11, 2009
East Houston
I went to the Baytown Academy store and saw 9-10 boxes of 9x21 on the shelf. I had to ask about what it was and researched it when I got home. Still, it was interesting to see that unusual cartridge in stock and it gave me a chance to learn something new.

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
The Academy in Webster has this round on the shelves. You guys even know a person who has a gun that can shoot this stuff? They have dredged up all the ammo they can find hoping to sell it to flippers and hoarders, LOL.

581120.jpg

Top Bottom