• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    How do you think the slide broke? Any pictures of that?

Forgive my artist skills...I couldn't find the photo's I took....I thought Colt would cover it under warranty when they asked me to send it to them.......but after 3 months they called and wanted payment before they would repair it. I don't have a clue why it happened. The customer was shooting standard Winchester 230 gr. FMJ when it happened.
    slide_a82781644acaf11f79bc0d6e719b532473c79c5a.jpg
    Target Sports

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    You think I don't own a Sig..........or 5?

Sig makes a lot 1911's........and nice ones at that....

...although in all honesty, I only own one personal Glock...

You are kidding (I hope).....
    Well yes I did know that. After much consternation...it has become apparent that a person nearly has to be former military to have learned to appreciate the merits of the 1911 pistol. Some of us did not get a chance to serve due to various reasons...the best of which was a student deferment back during Nam so those of us left behind to guard the wmmen and chillins...learned on DA Wheel guns. Most specifically SW and Colt .357 magnesiums. Transitioning over to a DA semi auto was peasy peasy. 1911 has too many flippers...flappers and bogus safety gizmos for we uns. lol. Thats all I know other than I had a bunch of its clones in mostly .380 off duty guns back in the day...and it scares the heck out of me to lug one around fully cocked and a live one in the chamber. It just dont seem safe. Not to even mention how many people I have known who accidentally shot holes in unintended objects while fiddling around with one of those crazy things. My partner nearly killed the jailer up in Wilbarger County..when he shot one off into the wall where the poor jailer was sleeping in the adjacent room.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Well yes I did know that. After much consternation...it has become apparent that a person nearly has to be former military to have learned to appreciate the merits of the 1911 pistol. Some of us did not get a chance to serve due to various reasons...the best of which was a student deferment back during Nam so those of us left behind to guard the wmmen and chillins...learned on DA Wheel guns. Most specifically SW and Colt .357 magnesiums. Transitioning over to a DA semi auto was peasy peasy. 1911 has too many flippers...flappers and bogus safety gizmos for we uns. lol. Thats all I know other than I had a bunch of its clones in mostly .380 off duty guns back in the day...and it scares the heck out of me to lug one around fully cocked and a live one in the chamber. It just dont seem safe. Not to even mention how many people I have known who accidentally shot holes in unintended objects while fiddling around with one of those crazy things. My partner nearly killed the jailer up in Wilbarger County..when he shot one off into the wall where the poor jailer was sleeping in the adjacent room.
    Are any of your Sigs strikerfire? Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, simple.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Forgive my artist skills...I couldn't find the photo's I took....I thought Colt would cover it under warranty when they asked me to send it to them.......but after 3 months they called and wanted payment before they would repair it. I don't have a clue why it happened. The customer was shooting standard Winchester 230 gr. FMJ when it happened.
    View attachment 152889

I have read other reports of the Commander slide failing like this.
    That has to be a very disheartenng feeling seeing a chunk fly off the front of your firearm.
    Must be a thin spot right there?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Why dont the folks on a nostalgia trip carry thumb busters?
    Some do.

The next GunSite defensive firearms class for single action revolver (and lever gun) users is scheduled for June of 2019. There's a small but steady demand that I doubt will ever go away completely.

If you like it and shoot it well, the SA revolver is a perfectly workable self-defense firearm.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Are any of your Sigs strikerfire? Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, simple.
    Nope..I only have a P 226 which I lugged on the outside for a long while and now a long time trying to keep it hid. It works just like a DA Mod. 28 SW six shooter. It dont have not steenken safety and if you dont want it to go boom...keep the booger hooks off the bang switch...to coin a phrase from my old Sgt Major pal who used to pay the rent on the sports grill. lol. It do hold a lot more ammo and the trigger pull gets real easy after the first shot.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    All guns are only as safe as the person handling them......

Glad the jailer wasn't injured......
    Thanks it was a muracle. My pard was sitting in an easy chair messing with somebody elses gun..and shot it off about seated chest level toward the exact spot it would have hit the jailer in the head as he slept on his little bed. The only thing that saved his life was the slug hit on edge an aluminum wall stud in between the the walls and penetrated one side and indented the heck out of the other side of gap but didnt come out the far side. Whew. It was a little bit funny deal because one of our pals was trying to get a drunk driver to blow into the breathalator in the other room..and the guy was staunchly refusing to blow..then the gun went off...and we had regained our hearing a little the drunks famous words were..I will blow..I will blow. lol.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am a little curious. Why didn't you take the money you are going to spend on this rebuild and just buy yourself a nice new factory built pistol.
    I am guilty of this lapse in judgement myself.
    I am not a Glock guy, but I recently bought a Gen 3 G19.
    In order to make it shoot the way I wanted it to shoot, I had trigger work done. I had the trigger guard modified. I also bought a KKM Match barrel for it. I replaced the factory sights with Tricon night sights. I now have over $950 invested in a firearm I paid only $550 for. The problem is it is still a Gen 3 G19.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I am a little curious. Why didn't you take the money you are going to spend on this rebuild and just buy yourself a nice new factory built pistol.
    In order to make it shoot the way I wanted it to shoot, I had trigger work done. I had the trigger guard modified. I also bought a KKM Match barrel for it. I replaced the factory sights with Tricon night sights. I now have over $950 invested in a firearm I paid only $550 for. The problem is it is still a Gen 3 G19.
    The same reason a biker changes things on his bike, make it your own and perform how you want.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Because he can.

:green:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have mentioned before that I have been dealing with all types of firearms since 1968. That gives me many years of learning by hard knocks. If you go in and do a lot of modifications to a stock firearm chances are those changes won't mean much to the next buyer. I can't imagine the number of firearms (Harleys too for that matter) that I have bought and then customized only to lose money on the resale. I now appreciate older firearms for what they are. I don't try to make them into something else. The Glock I mentioned was a trial overhaul. I have owned more than a dozen Glocks since they came out in the late 80s. Never had one I enjoyed shooting. I got a good deal on my new G19, so I decided to work out the kinks. It is now a great shooter, but no one is going to give the the amount of money I have invested in it.
    I recently bought a new CZ P-10c. It is basically a Glock clone with a much better frame ergonomics.
    It shoots as good as my $950 Glock and I paid about $525 for it online.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The same reason a biker changes things on his bike, make it your own and perform how you want.

I'm guilty of just that....More than once. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that I'll that I'll be guilty of it one last time.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have sold a few throughout my life, but I never bought a gun I intended to sell. I'm not a collector, so I buy to suit myself and in doing so may change things for my benefit, not for a higher resale.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have mentioned before that I have been dealing with all types of firearms since 1968. That gives me many years of learning by hard knocks. If you go in and do a lot of modifications to a stock firearm chances are those changes won't mean much to the next buyer. I can't imagine the number of firearms (Harleys too for that matter) that I have bought and then customized only to lose money on the resale. I now appreciate older firearms for what they are. I don't try to make them into something else. The Glock I mentioned was a trial overhaul. I have owned more than a dozen Glocks since they came out in the late 80s. Never had one I enjoyed shooting. I got a good deal on my new G19, so I decided to work out the kinks. It is now a great shooter, but no one is going to give the the amount of money I have invested in it.
    I recently bought a new CZ P-10c. It is basically a Glock clone with a much better frame ergonomics.
    It shoots as good as my $950 Glock and I paid about $525 for it online.

You don't know Tony.
    If he's doing this, he isn't going to sell it.
    Although it might become a gift....

Top Bottom