• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I am a little curious. Why didn't you take the money you are going to spend on this rebuild and just buy yourself a nice new factory built pistol.
    I am guilty of this lapse in judgement myself.
    I am not a Glock guy, but I recently bought a Gen 3 G19.
    In order to make it shoot the way I wanted it to shoot, I had trigger work done. I had the trigger guard modified. I also bought a KKM Match barrel for it. I replaced the factory sights with Tricon night sights. I now have over $950 invested in a firearm I paid only $550 for. The problem is it is still a Gen 3 G19.

Where to start...... Building what some would call a BBQ gun.....have built others before and yes...gifted them to others.....this one is to be mine. It will be one of a kind....I know going in, I will never recoup the money spent on this project. I will be having some hand engraving done on the slide (current plan always subject to change) but I am picky about the style and how well done it will be. Don't want 100 %, but probably in the 65-75 % range and have an idea of what I want it look like.

A lot of the work will be done my me, at least those things I can do well. Some things I want will be better left to someone else like the engraving. The checkering of the front strap I could do with hand checkering files, but I know Clark's Custom does an outstanding job with their machines. Mr. Clark SR. designed and made the machine/tooling and they do perfect work for a reasonable fee.......The cutting of the slide sight dovetails......I've had Novak's do many, many slides and all their work has been excellent. Again, I have the ability but the necessary skill....yet...

I am not experienced enough with my lathe and mill to do everything I want done. I will be lowering and flaring the ejection port myself, however. I will post pics of the work as it goes along.

This is totally a project motivated by want.....not need. I want it to be beautiful but..... function and shoot as well as it looks.....

I have nice factory built pistols....but those aren't scratching my current itch...lol....

Thanks for asking....
    DK Firearms

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Got an email from Clark's........expect the frame back the last week of March......never experienced them this backed up before.....

Haven't heard from Novak's......

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    If you had taken the money you have spent and bought a "nice" factory piece, you could be shooting by now. I had Wilson Combat build a blued 9mm 1911 Classic for me last year. With my military discount, the final delivered cost was right at $3,000. I received it three weeks after I placed the order. It is an extremely accurate, smooth, and dependable 1911.
    At my age, I get too impatient waiting. Something I would have to wait three or four months for, would drive me crazy.
    Hope you are able to build what you wanted.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If you had taken the money you have spent and bought a "nice" factory piece, you could be shooting by now. I had Wilson Combat build a blued 9mm 1911 Classic for me last year. With my military discount, the final delivered cost was right at $3,000. I received it three weeks after I placed the order. It is an extremely accurate, smooth, and dependable 1911.
    At my age, I get too impatient waiting. Something I would have to wait three or four months for, would drive me crazy.
    Were you going by examples that they already had, or was it something that you had in your mind for them to make?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

You do realize that you stated this in post 32 and were given reasons for him doing so, right ?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I read #32 as an example of spending your money on something that will never be worth what you spend.
    I also work full time for a Forensics Architectural firm. We survey structures that have been damaged by weather related events such as hurricanes or tornadoes. We assess the structural damage and help the insurance companies and owners determine how to proceed with the repairs.
    I have better things to do than live my day on this website.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I used to collect things, and maybe I would make a few bucks, but I enjoy shooting the guns I buy and upgrade. I don't plan on selling any guns I own, so I'm not worried about how much they are worth to someone else, it's what it's worth to me that matters.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Some folks are fine with thousands of folks having the same gun and for most guns I am......But I've always wanted an engraved custom Colt 1911 that will not look like all the others........

Hell, I get to shoot damn near daily.....this gun ain't about shooting.......it's about a dream I've had since I shot my first 1911 as a kid....

Doesn't bother me some don't understand......

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Some folks are fine with thousands of folks having the same gun and for most guns I am......But I've always wanted an engraved custom Colt 1911 that will not look like all the others........

Hell, I get to shoot damn near daily.....this gun ain't about shooting.......it's about a dream I've had since I shot my first 1911 as a kid....

Doesn't bother me some don't understand......

I know what you mean. I have seen some custom engraved guns at gun shows, and I drool over them. I would love to have one, but can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I am a professional tightwad. But I can see how a build could be done to stretch it out over time. I might be able to pull that off.

I do love those engraved pistols though. I have a shotgun with some on it, but its not custom.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Standard Manufacturing currently is offering this 1911 for around $1500.00. It is similar to the look I like, but not quite where I am going.......

standard_mfg_75bbe30602f45b667a0eed3dd190b9a562122dad.png

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    To each his own.

I never sell guns.

I either keep them or give them away or will at some point.

I haven't yet given one away, but I might, if my daughter or g. kids want one or more....I've offered...no takers yet.

I'm getting long in the tooth, quite literally, my gums have receded to some degree....so a dirt nap is upcoming in the near future. It's also one of those things I expect as part of existence, that is non-existence....

Decades ago, I bought some used guns and some weren't up to par, to say the least. I no longer buy 'used guns'.

Given, I can afford to give away various stuffr, when I want to I do...

So far, I've given away all my kayaking boats, super carbon paddles, fishing gear and other stuff...

Now, I plan to give away a lot more.

Not to you, but my known loved ones, neighbors....

Why?

Mortality is near...and the things I will give away won't cause my wife any grief.

I give myself the next moment to croak, or at most 5 years, though 5 years is a stretch.

You?

Old bastard?

Can't or.... are completely un-willing to face demise?

Yeah, most folks aren't willing to face their ultimate arrival.....too bad, it's an inescapable future...

PS, it's not bleak. Think of where you were before you arrived and self aware....it wasn't bad was it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom