• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What is a decent price range on a mosin nagant and k98 Mauser? I'd like to plead a case with my wife to let me start saving in that direction. Also what should one look for when getting one of these rifles as far as what kind of shape they are in and if there is anything special to look for.
    Military Camp

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    You can get average quality MN 91/30s for $80-$100 online. You'll see $140 or so minimum for a decent M38 or M44. Add shipping (ave. $25), plus an FFL transfer fee if you don't have a C&R license. That's not a lot of money for a lot of fun. You can still get good surplus 7.62x54R from J&G sales for about $85 for a tin of 440, plus you will pay another $25 or more for shipping it from Arizona. You can get decent soft point 180 gr. ammo (for hunting) just about anywhere. And I have found lots of good information online (as I'm sure you have too) for just about any other question regarding MNs.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Big C there are some nice shooters out there and as long as the bore is good the "ALL #'s match, ect.." is not a big deal for a shooter. A lot of folks sproterize them and cut the stocks up / down to what they want.
    I saw a week ago some nice M1 Garands with poor wood but good barrels for 300.00. There are plenty of stocks out there for reasonable prices.
    As long as you are looking for just a shooter and not a collectors piece then who cars if everything does not match.
    Tell mama that it's a piece of history to pass down to the kids. Tell here what ever it takes cause YOU need a new shootie toy!!!!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well I'm thinking about it for a shooter for sure, I could care less if the numbers match as it will be a working rifle. I would like a Garand but I have time to acquire one of those. I've wanted a MN sense I shot my first one at the ripe old age of 15. (thanks for the shooting advice and encouragement Gunny) and I really want the one with the "ice pick" bayonet on it for a cool factor not because I think I'll need it. LOL!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Well I'm thinking about it for a shooter for sure, I could care less if the numbers match as it will be a working rifle. I would like a Garand but I have time to acquire one of those. I've wanted a MN sense I shot my first one at the ripe old age of 15. (thanks for the shooting advice and encouragement Gunny) and I really want the one with the "ice pick" bayonet on it for a cool factor not because I think I'll need it. LOL!

The bayonet is now referred too as the "Zombie Stick";)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you get the M44 carbine make sure to get a good butt pad
    that thing kicks like a mule.
    I bought mine a Gander Mountain on sale last year for 99.00 + tax.
    If that is the one with the bayonet oh sorry Mo Zombie stick, then that is the one I shot. It did kick and I liked it, the only other big caliber (other than a 22 LR) I had shot was a 30-30 at the time.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Belive it or not it shoots better with the zombie stick extended.
    First time I fired it at 100 yds with the iron sites I had a heck of a time just to hit the paper, then I read on another site they shoot better with
    the ZOMBIE stick extended and it did make a difference.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I've heard that, something about the design was for the troops to always have their sticker out when they shot. I never would have guessed it but the guy how owned the rifle might have mentioned it 15 years old was a little less than 9 years ago. LOL! I feel young compared to some and old compared to others. LOL

WarBaby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Yeah I've heard that, something about the design was for the troops to always have their sticker out when they shot. I never would have guessed it but the guy how owned the rifle might have mentioned it 15 years old was a little less than 9 years ago. LOL! I feel young compared to some and old compared to others. LOL
    This is correct, they are meant to be fired with the bayonet extended, which makes you look like a goober at the range - but what do they know?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    This is correct, they are meant to be fired with the bayonet extended, which makes you look like a goober at the range - but what do they know?

Eh who cares what the guys at the range think. I was at Eagle Peak a few weeks ago and one of the long range guys with the custom guns was testing out some hand loads with a crono and shot one of the supporting plastic pieces in half. I didn't laugh but there were some snickers floating around.

Top Bottom