• ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    This story just keeps getting better.
    There’s a typhus epidemic in LA, and the deputy city attorney just got the disease.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-city-hall-typhus-20190209-story.html

Typhus evidently is passed from rats to humans by fleas.

Oh, there’s also a rat epidemic due to bums and the trash and filthy living conditions that come with living in the streets.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rats-in-city-hall-20190207-story.html

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-cityhall-corruption-20190209-story.html

So:
    Bums attract rats
    Rats attract fleas, give fleas typhus
    Humans attract fleas, which give them typhus they fit from the bums.

I hope people in our great state really consider this when they vote for progressive “solutions”.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard all the rats left LA. Even rats have standards.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    More hilarity ensues...

446c933819cdadaac0a868749b67d2e5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 446c933819cdadaac0a868749b67d2e5.jpg
      446c933819cdadaac0a868749b67d2e5.jpg
      264.6 KB · Views: 220

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    pronstar,

IF you are a "feral cat feeder" (as I am), you would know that there are seldom any rodents in an area that has a healthy feral cat colony.
    (Last year, I gave a feral adult female & her 4 "about half-grown kittens", that my neighbor Alisha had had neutered, to a woman named Madeline R___________, who owns a ranch west of Bandera & who had a "severe rat problem" on the property. = About 60 days later, she emailed me that her "rat problem" was NO MORE.)
    Note: Madeline has made a "house pet" out of the "loud-colored calico kitten". The other cats have made themselves at home in the ranch's outbuildings.

I had told Ms. R____________ to feed the 5 cats 6 days a week & that that "technique" would encourage the cats to HUNT & that should solve her rodent problem, SOON.
    (That "practice" has for a long time been used in the UK's many museums/historical sites to keep the mice/rats out of their buildings. = All of the major British museums & the Tower of London have "rat hunters".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I was really hoping that was a joke.

TxStetson,

I had a "night visitor" to my cottage about 60 days ago. - I invited "The Little Smudge" in for the night & she thoroughly enjoyed catching/eating the rat. - Haven't seen any further "rodent signs" since.
    ("Smudge" is a VERY talented hunter, despite her diminutive size & much prefers a "nice warm mouse" to the cat food that we provide.)

yours, satx

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    pronstar,

IF you are a "feral cat feeder" (as I am), you would know that there are seldom any rodents in an area that has a healthy feral cat colony.
    (Last year, I gave a feral adult female & her 4 "about half-grown kittens", that my neighbor Alisha had had neutered, to a woman named Madeline R___________, who owns a ranch west of Bandera & who had a "severe rat problem" on the property. = About 60 days later, she emailed me that her "rat problem" was NO MORE.)
    Note: Madeline has made a "house pet" out of the "loud-colored calico kitten". The other cats have made themselves at home in the ranch's outbuildings.

I had told Ms. R____________ to feed the 5 cats 6 days a week & that that "technique" would encourage the cats to HUNT & that should solve her rodent problem, SOON.
    (That "practice" is used in the UK's many museums to keep the mice/rats out of their buildings.)

yours, satx

Im with you to on cats controlling rodents.

But in this instance, the underlying issue are fleas, which would simply hop onto the cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    pronstar,

The fleas that inhabit rats' fur are NOT the same as feline fleas, so that's unlikely to be a "real problem". = Rodent fleas are a different species.

yours, satx

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    TxStetson,

I had a "night visitor" to my cottage about 60 days ago. - I invited "The Little Smudge" in for the night & she thoroughly enjoyed catching/eating the rat. - Haven't seen any further "rodent signs" since.
    ("Smudge" is a VERY talented hunter, despite her diminutive size & much prefers a "nice warm mouse" to the cat food that we provide.)

yours, satx
    SATX,
    I have a rescued stray cat laid in my lap right now. He’s been a member of the family for a couple years, and we don’t regret saving him at all. I just meant an army of strays cats in city hall won’t be the end of their problems.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    SATX,
    I have a rescued stray cat laid in my lap right now. He’s been a member of the family for a couple years, and we don’t regret saving him at all. I just meant an army of strays cats in city hall won’t be the end of their problems.

TxStetson,

NO. But 3-5 feral cats (who are SKILLED hunters) would CLEAN OUT the rats/mice.
    (Fwiw, MANY feral/domestic cats are completely CLUELESS when it comes to hunting. = The mama cat named "MARTHA" & her 4 kittens, that I gave to the ranch-lady, were carefully selected to BE rodent destroyers. "Martha" is a REAL wild animal, as she was born & raised in the woods near my cottage & is NOT affectionate or even "human-friendly" but she is SKILLED at catching rats/mice. = As I said, they were SUCCESSFUL & have ended the nice lady's "rat problem" in 2 months or less. - This success, of course, means that the lady now has 5 cats to feed, as they have caught/eaten the rodents. =====> I told the lady that she would end up with 5 outside adult cats to feed. - She said, "FINE. As long as they kill the !@#$%! rats in my corn-crib, barn, calf-feeders.")

The ranch-lady has made a "house pet"/lap cat out of the calico kitten & is PLEASED with her, too. = She named her "Belinda".
    (As you've likely guessed, I "keep up with" the cats that I adopt out. = I'm a life-member of FERAL FELINES FOUNDATION.)

yours, satx

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    TxStetson,

NO. But 3-5 feral cats (who are SKILLED hunters) would CLEAN OUT the rats/mice.
    (Fwiw, MANY feral/domestic cats are completely CLUELESS when it comes to hunting. = The mama cat named "MARTHA" & her 4 kittens, that I gave to the ranch-lady, were carefully selected to BE rodent destroyers. "Martha" is a REAL wild animal, as she was born & raised in the woods near my cottage & is NOT affectionate or even "human-friendly" but she is SKILLED at catching rats/mice. = As I said, they were SUCCESSFUL & have ended the nice lady's "rat problem" in 2 months or less. - This success, of course, means that the lady now has 5 cats to feed, as they have caught/eaten the rodents. =====> I told the lady that she would end up with 5 outside adult cats to feed. - She said, "FINE. As long as they kill the !@#$%! rats in my corn-crib, barn, calf-feeders.")

The ranch-lady has made a "house pet"/lap cat out of the calico kitten & is PLEASED with her, too. = She named her "Belinda".
    (As you've likely guessed, I "keep up with" the cats that I adopt out. = I'm a life-member of FERAL FELINES FOUNDATION.)

yours, satx
    That sounds perfect for her, but that’s not LA City Hall.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That sounds perfect for her, but that’s not LA City Hall.

TxStetson,

CORRECT. Also LA City Hall is NOT The Tower of London, The Imperial War Museum, Buckingham Palace, The British Museum and/or any other place (ALL of those historic buildings in the UK have cats to keep the relics/furnishings safe from harm.) BUT it's still my contention that a FEW neutered cats would solve the problem of mice/rats/flea-borne diseases.
    (I suspect that 2-4 feral cats, which WILL HUNT, outside the building & a pair of good hunters inside would solve the problem. = IF it was me, I'd sooner have CATS than RODENTS. = I do NOT like rats anywhere that I am.)

When our family had a china, glass, bridal lingerie & gift shoppe, we had "MONICA" & "SIESTA" as "store cats" & BOTH of the "ladies" used to get "fan mail", Christmas Cards & sometimes even received birthday cards/gifts from our many customers. - Mother, smart lady in "merchandising" that she was, used to feature "her girls" photos in the store's ads.
    (Btw, Siesta got her name, as what she seemed to do BEST was "take a siesta" in the store's SUNNY front windows.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Why is the National Institute of Health substituting lawyers for rats in lab tests? Three reasons:
    1. There are more lawyers then rats.
    2. When rats die many lab techies feel bad for them.
    3. There are some things a rat won't even do.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That is correct. The rats there get up to and over 300 lbs.

avvidclif,

Do you mean the 2-footed or the 4-footed RATS or perhaps RATS of BOTH sorts??

ADDENDA: Fwiw, when I was stationed with HQUSAMTMC in Long Beach, CA, I saw SEVERAL rats that were literally BIGGER than possums.
    (One of my civilian guards shot one, "that got a bit too friendly", in the chest with a Model 65 S&W .357MAG late on the 2nd shift & it didn't even knock him down to stay.= His body was found the next day, after he finally bled out.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom