• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chief Dot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hello to all from Corpus. I'm and newbie and this is my first post.

I'm looking for a good shotgun that can be used for HD/SD primarily, but also to take out and shoot just for fun and maybe even for some hunting, but that wouldn't be often.

I've been reading quite a bit and it looks like the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500's are the most common and often recommended. I've looked at many gun stores in Corpus and there isn't much in the way of shot guns with 18" barrels. They can order, but will give no time frames as they say these guns are getting very hard to get.

One dealer has a Remington 870 Police model and also the tactical model with an adjustable (collapsible) stock and pistol grip. This same dealer also has a Mossberg 500 with 18" barrel (pretty sure it's a persuader model), but he only has a 20 gauge.

So here are my questions:

1. Are the Remington's overkill for my needs?

2. Does the adjustable stock on the Tactical absorb the recoil any better or worse than the standard stock? I like being able to adjust the stock as I'm only 5' 9" and on some guns the reach is a bit long.

3. Does the pistol grip on the Tactical make a big difference on way or the other, especially considering my needs?

4. Would you consider the 20 gauge or should I look for a 12?

Of course I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and would prefer to spend $350 on the Mossberg 500 vs. $650 for the police model 870, but if there's that much of difference that it would make it worth it to spend extra, then I will.

Between the 870's I like the feel and look of the tactical model as opposed to the police model and it's $40 cheaper, but I just don't know about that stock and grip and I'm sure the police model must be built with better parts.

If there's anything else I should consider, please don't hesitate to let know.

You assistance is appreciated.
    Capitol Armory ad

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    the mossberg is like the dodge vehicle plain does not resell well but is reliable and tough. they also make the maverick that is even cheaper. the 18' barrel for the mossberg is plentiful and cheap. i believe you will be happy with the mossberg and it will not fail you when needed.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Welcome to TGT.

My first shotgun (1980) was a Mossberg. I sold it to a friend because I upgraded to a Remington 870, then to an 11-87. My buddy is still hunting with the Mossberg and hasn't had any problems. Both Remingtons are doing great as well. If you want to save money, go with the Mossberg. Just my $.02

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Pistol grip is miserable to shoot and I am 6'4".
    Pistol grip is also illegal to hunt migratory birds with.

Look at the TPWD web site (PDF file) page 69
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/media/outdoor_annual_2008_2009.pdf

Legal Shotgun: Shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, fired from the shoulder, and incapable of holding more than three shells (shotguns capable of holding more than three shells must be plugged with a one-piece filler which is incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so the gun’s total capacity does not exceed three shells).

There is nothing wrong with a 20 gauge.
    I actually have a youth model 20 gauge pump for HD
    Its nice and short and holds 5 rounds w/o the plug

Put the plug in it and I can go dove hunting with it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If the stock is a Knoxx recoil absorbing collapsable stock you will love it. A stocked shotgun with a pistol grip does not tough to shoot.

You can hunt with a pistol gripped shotgun too, as long as it also has a stock to fire it from the shoulder.

870_tac_sfiv_dr_410.jpg

I don't see a thing in the laws to make that an illegal to hunt with shotgun.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Welcome to the site. I have an 870 express (bought it at Academy for about $280). It came with the 26" barrel, but you can always go out and buy the 18.5" barrel for around an additional $120, then you've got 2 barrels for different apps. for less than the police model in the first place. Of course you'd have to shop around or order the 18.5" barrel, as we've had trouble finding one in stock, but I also haven't been pursuing it either.

Rem 870 Express http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../shotguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0350-02662-5568

Zen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    +1 For the mossberg

+100 for the Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock - I am absolutely sold on the thing. I just posted in another forum regarding shotguns for little women but I appreciate the hell out of it when I'm running a house course with 3" magnums. GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    The regular 870 Police models go for $400 here in Houston at Carter's country. The ones with the tactical stock yes are more. If they are equipped with the Knoxx stock as Remington does have a deal going on with them then yes it does absorb recoil.

Is the 870 overkill? No way! Remington has been making them for years and the guns are tanks well worth the money for them.

What I would do, now this is my personal opinion not saying you should do, is go and hit up the pawn shops and look for a used 870 with the 26" or 28" barrel. Then buy the 18" Remi barrel and make your own tactical HD shot gun. If it is a little beat up and the coating is coming off then order some gun kote put it on and order the Hogue stock and fore grip, and get the mag extenstion. Save your long barrel and if you want to go dove hunting or duck or goose then put the long barrel back on and take the mag extension off put your plug back in and you have a double duty home defense/hunting gun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would suggest looking for a Benelli Super Nova Tactical. It's a better deal than the 870 and they are easily converted to a bird gun or turkey gun with a barrel swap. The reasoning behind the Super Nova is they are about $475 and have ghost-ring sights, and honestly, Benelli builds one of the best shotguns on the market. Their quality blows Mossberg out of the water for not much more money.

I also prefer the 870 to the 500, but the 870s have been increasing in price lately.

Top Bottom