A Little off Topic (El Paso)

Discussion in 'El Paso' started by zoomydave, Jun 9, 2017.

1. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bases can often be as political as D.C.

2. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    @ Ozzman: Your wife should re-think that baton...unless one is an "expert" (martial-arts weapons training for a good while) then she MIGHT get in one hit on an assailant who bum rushes her but if that one hit wasn't seriously disabling, it'd be over for her. Contact weapons are a 2nd/3rd resort since to USE them the attacker has to be CLOSE.

She needs to carry a firearm, period.

We ALL do...and "other things" if you want on top of that (an EDC knife in my case), but first & foremost, a GUN.

-- BR

3. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    @ easy rider: ...and even the military has become more liberal (& "progressive") in the last few decades, especially the top brass.

Truly a shadow of its former self...

-- BR

4. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I agree.

However....

She cannot carry a gun on her while at school, and the NGA policy extends to vehicles in the parking lot at the school she works at. SHE made the choice... not me. The way she sees it; it's better than nothing at all.

5. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    That's fixin' to change 1 Sep...as of 1 Sep the schools can't keep an LTC holder from keeping their gun locked in their car. I just wish they'd made it cover everyone-like the employee parking lot law a coupla years ago that exempted school districts.

6. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    ozzman,

IMO, it's hardly "better than nothing" -- if you don't know how to USE it.

But if she insists, then YOU should insist she sign-up for weapons training (at some martial arts school, one well-rated/authentic of course), specifically tell the instructor you need baton training. Unlike YEARS that are usually required to master weapons, ALL she needs to learn is maybe a half-dozen or so techniques (keeping it SIMPLE, like Krav Maga's philosophy), practice them so she can DO them anytime/every time -- and THEN the baton makes good sense (even though again, the attacker has to be close for its use).

And being a woman, a male attacker (as the POS gender almost always is) wouldn't be expecting much from a woman, so imagine his surprise when he goes down! Well, hopefully...that is, that's the PLAN! ;-)

Otherwise, she's relying on luck just carrying it (as people who carry other contact weapons but can't use them properly), and who really want to do THAT? And seeing a weapon in hand is NOT going to dissuade most thugs...that's their normal environment so they're not impressed.

Besides, husbands don't let wives (or vice-versa) do things that are more a false sense of protection than not...even if it's their choice. You certainly don't want to say "I told you so" later (that is, IF she survives the incident).

Good luck to her,

-- BR

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    The baton is a UCW unless she's on her own property, in/on the way directly to/from her car and property, or on premises she controls. Just training doesn't get her around the law forbidding it. The limited range of movement inside the vehicle would not be effective, and one step outside the vehicle and she's in violation if not as described above.

It's not worth a class A misdemeanor, let alone whatever the base might charge her with were she on base, if she breaks their rules by having it in the car. Matter of fact, I'd check with any military base LEOS before bringing OC or an electronic weapon on base, too. Some are stricter than others.

Lotta rigmarole to go through to protect ourselves when the attacker breaks all the rules.
    Inside the car, of all the non-lethal options, I'd recommend a 6" screwdriver. She or you can thrust or jab it into the face or the arm that reached in-and they'll let go. No hassle about weapons, but it'd work better than swinging a flashlight in a cramped space. It's not even illegal to carry a screwdriver in her purse in Texas.

A fixed blade knife of legal length would be more effective in the car than a baton. Again, I'd check with the military installation onto which you/she would carry it.

8. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    "Lotta rigmarole to go through to protect ourselves when the attacker breaks all the rules." -- Nightwatch

...I agree completely!

As for a knife for "military people," my neighbor and his wife are in the Army (medics, IIRC) -- she has been deployed to Kuwait, but he has told me the same thing: Active Duty can't have guns and other weapons in their car or even @ home due to military policies. And if the MPs ever visited their apt and find some "contraband" weapon (meaning, it's not been registered & locked up on base), they're in trouble.

[It's absolutely OUTRAGEOUS that our military can't even have firearms @ home!]

But he DID say that a knife 2.5" long could get around all that and be carried (even though here n TX a longer blade is legal) as that's PLENTY of blade really! So I suggested to him he get an EDC knife that's instantly-deployable with one hand -- like mine, which has a 2.5" blade exactly: The DART knife by Dan Marcaido (Made in Italy -- not Chinese crap -- of N690Co steel by Fox Knives).

I also agree: A knife working on an arm reaching in to grab you would be highly "discouraging" I would guess, and for that use a shorter blade would work better than a longer one in confined spaces. Even could be deadly if you make the cuts in the right places.

-- BR

9. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I found the CRKT Bear Claw a few years back. Both my sons went to Iraq together in the Army-stayed in the same hooch for the whole deployment-I bought each of them one-army didn't even train them in knives. Older one went back to Kuwait for another tour and took it. They wore them...better'n nothing...a good get-off-right-now tool, and, as you said, if you know how-deadly. My new DIL works in a bank-gave her one...gotta order some more...that'd be a good one for a lady to carry anywhere...not half bad for us big tough guys, either.

10. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    "better'n nothing" -- Nightwatch

IMO, an edged weapon up close (grappling-distance) is better than a gun, so it's certainly "better'n nothing." ;-)

It's just at my age, I prefer to use bullets: Less work, less sweat and less mess (sometimes).

-- BR