A moment to refocus......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ConnRadd, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Not sure if this is true or not, but does give you something to think about...

violinist.jpg

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.
    During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station,
    most of them on their way to work.
    After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing.
    He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later :

the violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk..

6 minutes:

A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly.

The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk,
    turning his head all the time.
    This action was repeated by several other children.
    Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes:

The
    musician played continuously.
    Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while.
    About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace.
    The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour:

He finished playing and silence took over.

No one noticed.
    No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell,
    one of the greatest musicians in the world.
    He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written,
    with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.
    Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities..

The questions raised : in a common place environment at an inappropriate hour,
    Do we perceive beauty ?
    Do we stop to appreciate it ?
    Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context ?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this :

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world,
    playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made....
    How many other things are we missing ?

2. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I remember seeing something to the effect on the news one day.

Even if you don't like that genre of music, do not miss the opportunity to see this young master, you will not regret it.

I saw him a few years back and was awe struck by his skill.

3. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

To be honest, I would have most likely walked by paying him very little attention. Mainly due to I'm not into violinist; but if it was someone playing bag pipes, I would spared a few mins. and some pocket change...

4. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Fiddlers vs Violinists

I think I'd stopped and listened a bit. I have over the years owned a fiddle or two, my choices was like old C&W, bluegrass....you know, Sally Goodin',
    Hell among the Yearlin's, Faded Love, etc.

My Uncle, long passed always said that there were two kinds of violinists, fiddlers and just plain sawyers... I just saw, havent picked it up in over six months. A real violinist can make the old fiddle sound beautiful.

Doug Kershaw could make them smoke and you thought he was going to ruin the old bow.....A beautiful intrrument in the right hands !:texas:

5. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
  6. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    I share this story with my co-workers atleast once a year. It just reminds everyone to pay attention to the details. We all get wrapped up in the day to day humdrum and stop noticing things. Goes well for personal defense too. How often do you get gas, go to the store, or hit the ATM? Often enough that it seems routine, but you never know when the Fit is going to hit the Shan!!!!!!!!!!