• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A couple days ago LME essentially defaulted on copper contracts and resorted to price fixing...

...and now nickel is heading the same direction.

With a nickel being 75% nickel and 25% copper, that puts the melt value of a nickel at $0.095. Might as well just round that up to 10¢ :laughing:
    DK Firearms

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Check out https://www.coinflation.com/

Especially you fellers that ever used the pre 64 silver coins. You can see Our inflation in real time. Even with manipulated silver prices.
    f7c85fcb5c81cce7cdd2a46700dcd57f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Years ago when I dabbled in the coin market I ran a coin comparator to seperate copper and zinc penny's. Then it was just under 2 cents worth of melt. The Ryedale is the cadillac of such smaller machines.

Mind you it is illegal to melt them at this time. There were rumors of coinstar sitting on 55 gallon drums of copper penny's just waiting until .GOV bails on them. I would assume the fed reserve would call them back to keep the copper for herself.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Years ago when I dabbled in the coin market I ran a coin comparator to seperate copper and zinc penny's. Then it was just under 2 cents worth of melt. The Ryedale is the cadillac of such smaller machines.

Mind you it is illegal to melt them at this time. There were rumors of coinstar sitting on 55 gallon drums of copper penny's just waiting until .GOV bails on them. I would assume the fed reserve would call them back to keep the copper for herself.

Nothing new.

"Whose image and superscription hath it?" to quote Jesus.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Today, a silver dime is worth at least a buck fifty-five and those quarters are worth at least $4.40 each... melt value...

That's a cool $840 sitting on your table...

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    In 1971 the Italian Lire traded 650 to the dollar. Fiat used 1 Lire coins {small aluminum with a hole in the middle) as washers because it was cheaper than buying washers!

NEVER IN MY WORST NIGHTMARES DID I EVER THINK THAT WOULD HAPPEN HERE.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    NEVER IN MY WORST NIGHTMARES DID I EVER THINK THAT WOULD HAPPEN HERE.
    Really? Because it's been 57 years since US coinage was made from monetary metal.

Can you give me a source for that anecdote? I'd definitely like to know more about it. Personally I've never come across any coins used as washers in any of the FIATs I've worked on or scrapped.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    90% coins go for over melt, even when selling to a dealer. Especially right now; they are moving fast.
    I did say "at least", figuring there might be some premium, besides collectible, but I really didn't know there was a run on silver coin... should have, there's a run on anything of worth! Thanks for that info!

When I was a kid, (9 in '64) I knew that silver coin would be worth something someday, but I just went on spending it anyway... In the late 80's, I finally bought some for investment, at 4x face.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Nickel and copper have come down a little bit. This two dollar roll of nickels is only worth $3.78 now...
    Look at Jefferson peaking out disapprovingly at what they've done to the currency.

0ur4x73ynnv71.jpg

Top Bottom