• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dunnrite

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Kingsland
    I don't post much, but I had to share this. This is a note sent home from my son's teacher today.

Today, my lifeskills students watched a safari montage video specifically designed for early elementary grades about the Sept 11th attacks. We talked about it first and then we watched the video. They were not able to understand our discussion but the whole concept of today's importance hit home when they watched the video. Throughout the 23 min video one of my students had tears running down his face. Two more students stated "that's sad" and at one point gasped at the pictures of the destruction of the world trade center buildings. At the end of the video the credits began to roll along with the song America the Beautiful playing in the background. My teary eyed young student who has a speech impairment begins to proudly sing along with the music. I was amazed he knew every word to sing this song. I didn't want to stop the credits from rolling because I didn't want him to quit singing. Once the music stopped and the screen turned black, one final hand salute to the screen was enough to bring tears to my own eyes.

Brought tears to my eyes reading it also.
    Gun Zone Deals

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    As being one that works in Special Ed, and also in Life Skills when I get an "off" period, I appreciate you posting something good and positive dealing with the school system. Too many bash it out right for something they have no clue about, or they heard through a friend of a friend of a friend ...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    As being one that works in Special Ed, and also in Life Skills when I get an "off" period, I appreciate you posting something good and positive dealing with the school system. Too many bash it out right for something they have no clue about, or they heard through a friend of a friend of a friend ...

My older son's beak through from being non-verbal autistic to barely distinguishable from other students was due in part to years of expensive therapy and doctors, but mostly we credit a single teacher that wouldn't give up on him. She was simply amazing working with him, and we will forever be in her debt.

I'm not a fan of how the public education system is structured and funded, but there are still many great teachers in that system that make a difference every day. I think they could make a much bigger impact with some systemic changes.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    My older son's beak through from being non-verbal autistic to barely distinguishable from other students was due in part to years of expensive therapy and doctors, but mostly we credit a single teacher that wouldn't give up on him. She was simply amazing working with him, and we will forever be in her debt.

I'm not a fan of how the public education system is structured and funded, but there are still many great teachers in that system that make a difference every day. I think they could make a much bigger impact with some systemic changes.

A good way I heard it put was something like this ... We all know that the better the people are educated in a given area, the lower the crime rate in that area tends to be. So, why is it that we fully fund our prison system, yet we slash our education funding and make the schools try to get more money from things like "box tops for education". The way it SHOULD be, is that we fully fund education and make the prisons do the "box tops for inmates".

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Not gonna lie, I've got tears in my eyes now... It's the special moments like that that we need to hear more of.

God bless you, your son, that teacher, and all those like him/her in the world. And oh yeah, thanks for sharing.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Great story.

Now if you don't mind me asking? How old is your son? I'm pleasantly surprised to read they are showing videos like this in the schools.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you for posting this....

Got to wipe the keyboard off......

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for sharing this with us. It's easy to feel sometimes that the deck is stacked against patriots and conservatives in this country. We need to hear stories such as yours so we know that others are fighting the Good Fight too. God bless you and your son.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Its hearing about stuff like this that make me proud to be a american. Gives me hope for the future. and a tear to my eye. thanks for sharing this awesome story

Top Bottom