• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    First I have even heard of linking a username to possible troll activity, before any posts are made.

I guess they all get denied, before I get to see the proof!

It’s fairly rare for someone to use a name that basically screams “I want to start shit”, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Isn't labeling someone as a troll before they were even given a chance to post a single word kinda like putting the cart before the horse?
    You know, the whole libtard concept of "guilty until proven innocent"?
    What if the new member is some other Beto from out of state and doesn't know our internal Beto? (I know, slim chance but the principle stands)
    And if he is a troll, we get our share of those here. They don't last long.
    Am I wrong to believe that giving others the benefit of the doubt is the foundation of tolerance and acceptance? *shrug*
    First of all, they ain't my monkeys and it ain't my circus to clean up after.

Second, I ain't privy to to wonders of the Wizard behind the curtain either.

Third, I trust the Mods and Admins to make those decisions, and based on their past performance, I see no reason to doubt what they do that I don't see happening on daily basis.

And I'll trust their judgement to disallow admittance to usernames that strike them as being troll accounts.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Third, I trust the Mods and Admins to make those decisions, and based on their past performance, I see no reason to doubt what they do that I don't see happening on daily basis.

And I'll trust their judgement to disallow admittance to usernames that strike them as being troll accounts.
    Good point, that's the job they signed up for. A thankless and not-really-easy job, I must add.
    Thank you, moderators, for keeping us in line.

Now to return to the question at hand: whatever happened with the new user? Did he manage to sign up with an acceptable username?
    Afterall, wasn't he a friend of another member? One could reasonable expect that the member base here would not recommend this forum to an actual troll. :)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I actually had an uncle named Marion Francis. He was definitely not a gurly man, and we did not think a thing of it. He was just Uncle Marion.
    The story was that, had he been a girl, he would have been, "Maryanne Francis".

John Wayne’s real name was Marion Robert Morrison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Multiple things. I'm about to go to bed so I'll just reduce them to bullet points.
    • My apologies to Younggun. You shouldn't have had to write so much in this thread since I was the cause of the OP's question.
    • On the general subject of asking the mods about the criteria used to do anything it's generally a good idea for mods to leave that stuff murky. Yeah, I'm a proponent of transparency but the ultimate criteria, rightfully employed, is that good modding results in a good board. Giving people complete insight into how that modding is done means discussing edge cases that leave some observers feeling that the mods are either wusses or tyrants. I'm willing to talk about more than most but not about everything. Trying to explain it all or even being responsive to every question always backfires by pissing off people who don't agree with the process. Like the law, you really don't want to see the sausage being made.
    • The Beto account was rejected because it raised multiple red flags pointing to someone who either only wanted to troll or wasn't taking the sign-up process seriously in the least. It wasn't just the name. V-Tach, feel free to ask your friend how long he's lived in Van Zandt county...because that's the only way his true location could be Mars. Also tell him to try signing up again using a non-trolling name and normal responses to the questions; he'll likely be approved with no problem.
    • As for folks talking about VPNs, they're not a reason for an account to be rejected. When someone seems like a reasonable account, says they're in Dallas, but their IP originates in New York or abroad, then something is off. Maybe they're using a VPN. I send a note with the rejection that provides all the information needed for them to open an account successfully, assuming there are no other red flags. It's my impression that 99% of the potential "rejected because they're on a VPN" cases never try again to sign up because they weren't signing up for valid purposes, anyway.
    • Finally, there are criteria used to screen accounts that haven't even been hinted at in this thread. In some of the situations posited in this thread, some of those criteria might come into play.
    All this boils down to "Trust your mods while you continue to freely complain and make suggestions." We welcome that because we actually listen. Multiple procedures and rules have been changed as a direct result of user suggestions and complaints. If we're not responsive, the board will deteriorate and the problem will resolve when people move elsewhere.

Reasonable?

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I think therein lies your answer.

Since you are an admin, are you actually confirming that we censor new members based on just their selected username?
    If it is not offensive or a curse word, why not let them join? If they want to be center of attention, that's their choice.
    But we are the tolerant and acceptable crowd, we should not reject users just because a mode doesn't feel that he likes their username.

Considering that you did a 180 from post #5 to post #12 and beyond, you flip flop like a RINO.

And I don't recall seeing in any TGT rules that "we are the tolerant and acceptable crowd." Definately not to any such degree as to permit an obvious troll membership.

So what is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?”

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Considering that you did a 180 from post #5 to post #12 and beyond, you flip flop like a RINO.

And I don't recall seeing in any TGT rules that "we are the tolerant and acceptable crowd." Definately not to any such degree as to permit an obvious troll membership.

So what is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?”

I use to be tolerant and accepting. I'm not so much anymore.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Are you the same benenglish from the old Saiga 12 forum?
    I don't know that forum but that doesn't mean I didn't sign up under this name. If the account was active on that forum, it definitely was NOT me.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I don't know that forum but that doesn't mean I didn't sign up under this name. If the account was active on that forum, it definitely was NOT me.
    Sounded familiar, but then us FOWG's *do
    misremember at times!

*(F**king Old White GUY)

Top Bottom