• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A friend of mine was trying to register for TGT today and was denied. He thinks it may be because of the User Name.

Are certain user names verboten?
    Capitol Armory ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I actually had an uncle named Marion Francis. He was definitely not a gurly man, and we did not think a thing of it. He was just Uncle Marion.
    The story was that, had he been a girl, he would have been, "Maryanne Francis".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A friend of mine was trying to register for TGT today and was denied. He thinks it may be because of the User Name.

Are certain user names verboten?

No name I explicitly off limits, however a name like that would likely raise flags and probably end up not being approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    No name I explicitly off limits, however a name like that would likely raise flags and probably end up not being approved.
    Since you are an admin, are you actually confirming that we censor new members based on just their selected username?
    If it is not offensive or a curse word, why not let them join? If they want to be center of attention, that's their choice.
    But we are the tolerant and acceptable crowd, we should not reject users just because a mode doesn't feel that he likes their username.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Since you are an admin, are you actually confirming that we censor new members based on just their selected username?
    If it is not offensive or a curse word, why not let them join? If they want to be center of attention, that's their choice.
    But we are the tolerant and acceptable crowd, we should not reject users just because a mode doesn't feel that he likes their username.

So you think the Mods or Admins which represent the owners of the forum should be tolerant and accepting of someone with a username that more than implies that they are going to troll the forum?

You probably think a fox guarding the hen house is a good idea too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

We ban trolls. If someone walks up wearing a troll suit, it’s probably easier to just no let them in. If their username is JoeBiden, we will most likely save ourselves the trouble as the purpose of the account is pretty obvious.

Should we also not filter usernames like “Jon802” with an IP based out of India?

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    So you think the Mods or Admins which represent the owners of the forum should be tolerant and accepting of someone with a username that more than implies that they are going to troll the forum?

You probably think a fox guarding the hen house is a good idea too.
    Isn't labeling someone as a troll before they were even given a chance to post a single word kinda like putting the cart before the horse?
    You know, the whole libtard concept of "guilty until proven innocent"?
    What if the new member is some other Beto from out of state and doesn't know our internal Beto? (I know, slim chance but the principle stands)
    And if he is a troll, we get our share of those here. They don't last long.
    Am I wrong to believe that giving others the benefit of the doubt is the foundation of tolerance and acceptance? *shrug*

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Isn't labeling someone as a troll before they were even given a chance to post a single word kinda like putting the cart before the horse?
    You know, the whole libtard concept of "guilty until proven innocent"?
    What if the new member is some other Beto from out of state and doesn't know our internal Beto? (I know, slim chance but the principle stands)
    And if he is a troll, we get our share of those here. They don't last long.
    Am I wrong to believe that giving others the benefit of the doubt is the foundation of tolerance and acceptance? *shrug*
    axxe thinks anyone that doesnt act like him is a troll just ignore it tbh.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    We ban trolls. If someone walks up wearing a troll suit, it’s probably easier to just no let them in. If their username is JoeBiden, we will most likely save ourselves the trouble as the purpose of the account is pretty obvious.

Should we also not filter usernames like “Jon802” with an IP based out of India?
    Agreed, if it's the SOP, I understand. That's what I was inquiring about.

As far as tracking IPs, that can get out of hand rather quickly.
    When I used to manage a local TX forum in the past, VPN protection was not a common product so having people sign up from abroad was definitely a telltale sign of a scammer/troll. Not so much today.
    People also travel and when they log in from other countries, that should not blacklist them either.
    Unless you implement some secondary authentication to ensure that the member is real and not a scam artist from abroad.
    Managing people isn't easy! :)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    First I have even heard of linking a username to possible troll activity, before any posts are made.

I guess they all get denied, before I get to see the proof!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    People also travel and when they log in from other countries, that should not blacklist them either.
    A regular user logging in from outside USA is much different than an attempt to create an account from outside the USA.

Given name of this board, we should ban anyone outside of Texas!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Agreed, if it's the SOP, I understand. That's what I was inquiring about.

As far as tracking IPs, that can get out of hand rather quickly.
    When I used to manage a local TX forum in the past, VPN protection was not a common product so having people sign up from abroad was definitely a telltale sign of a scammer/troll. Not so much today.
    Unless you implement some secondary authentication to ensure that the member is real and not a scam artist from abroad.
    Managing people isn't easy! :)

If we judge them to be overly suspicious then the account is not granted.

You can play it up about acceptance and tolerance, but a balance must be struck. Mods and admin have lives and work outside of the forum. We can’t constantly monitor what’s going on and don’t feel like putting out membership through the headaches of allowing accounts that are 99% likely to be a troll, especially if it’s so blatant that even the name is chosen to stir people up. So when deemed necessary the account is not granted.

We know that large portions of scams are run from certain locations, and we know practically every account from certain locations in the past has been a scammer or spam bot. So those accounts are rejected.

As far as VPNs go, it’s not necessary to use an out of country VPN for security. Not will an out of country IP result in automatic rejection.

Either way, we do and will continue to filter accounts before they are activated.

Top Bottom