• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    So i got to run a few mags through an M1A1 Thompson. I am a sucker for WW2 stuff so I couldn't say no.

So why not do a quick review?

The controls are awkward and the grip is so thick you are better off using your support hand. The safety and fire is a different lever than the full auto or semi selector. I understand the reasoning, but i am not a fan.

The Rof is rather slow, around 600 rounds per minute, it's extremely easy to get off single shots. Open bolt .45acp, so the 'dip' of the bolt going forward is very noticeable. Trigger seemed ok. Once you dump almost 1lb of lead into a target the trigger kinda doesn't matter. We had some issues with this particular gun, seemed mostly related to the magazine we had.

The stock shape is not designed to help the shooter, on higher ROF Thompsons the gun feels like it's trying to do everything it can to get away from you, but the slower ROF of the M1A1 helps keep that in check, as does the weight. The handguard is fine, it does the job.

The Thompson is very cool, and the M1A1 is probably the best version of it, but i still don't see any situation where I'd rather have this over a Garand, Carbine, M3 or something like an MP40, however the M1A1 is extremely fun, and if i had the money I'd definitely own 5-7 of them
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have fired one on multiple occasions with excellent results. My observation is that the original barrel grip in insufficient to control the barrel rise in full auto. The forward grip is sufficient regulate it. The weapon is subject to stoppages due to residue from previous fired cartridges.
    The accuracy is excellent and controllable. The ergonomics are very good. IMHO while fully functional it is a hoot to shoot.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have fired one on multiple occasions with excellent results. My observation is that the original barrel grip in insufficient to control the barrel rise in full auto. The forward grip is sufficient regulate it. The weapon is subject to stoppages due to residue from previous fired cartridges.
    The accuracy is excellent and controllable. The ergonomics are very good. IMHO while fully functional it is a hoot to shoot.
    Original Thompsons had the vertical front grip, later models had a simpler handguard.

I prefer the later model handguard. The original front grip (as cool as it looks) limits how far out you can get your support hand on the gun.

Plus i don't like VFG's in general.

I think having the standard handguard with the slower ROF is the best combination

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I remember shooting a H&K MP7 and thinking how many years were between it & my MP5K. I also remember shooting a Johnson Spitfire with a folding stock thinking it was the very first PDW.

Thompson’s in their various renditions are an American Icon. I had the opportunity to shoot a Thompson that’s bluing was so fine and the guns condition, that I just stood their ogling it. Never thought I would prefer a grease gun to a Thompson as far as just if I had to carry it for real.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I remember shooting a H&K MP7 and thinking how many years were between it & my MP5K. I also remember shooting a Johnson Spitfire with a folding stock thinking it was the very first PDW.

Thompson’s in their various renditions are an American Icon. I had the opportunity to shoot a Thompson that’s bluing was so fine and the guns condition, that I just stood their ogling it. Never thought I would prefer a grease gun to a Thompson as far as just if I had to carry it for real.

The grease gun has some nice things going for it, its a bit lighter, smaller, and a nice slow rate of fire.

I feel like i have to crawl all over the Thompson to keep it running. Removing the mag, working the charging handle, messing with the selector(s)...

The Grease gun has a lot less going on

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The grease gun has some nice things going for it, its a bit lighter, smaller, and a nice slow rate of fire.

I feel like i have to crawl all over the Thompson to keep it running. Removing the mag, working the charging handle, messing with the selector(s)...

The Grease gun has a lot less going on
    It’s about tolerances. Think about the hours spent in machining out the Thompson .vs stamping out grease guns.

Look at all the tube guns is that era. Lay out a Sten, Austen, Owens then a Sterling. There is lots of love for the Sterling, especially the magazine.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It’s about tolerances. Think about the hours spent in machining out the Thompson .vs stamping out grease guns.

Look at all the tube guns is that era. Lay out a Sten, Austen, Owens then a Sterling. There is lots of love for the Sterling, especially the magazine.
    Well, yes. The Thompson is a late WW1 design. By the 40's people had figured out what works, what doesn't, and what is needed, what isn't.

You really don't need a heavy machined receiver, a semi auto function, or any of the other numerous quirks the Thompson has. Not when you can get a lighter, simpler SMG for cheaper that has superior ergonomics that won't burn through your ammo as fast.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I have a friend with a transferable 1921/28 Colt Navy overstamp. Loads of fun to shoot. Very controllable as you stated....one just like his sold at RIA in December 2021 for 69K.....

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have shot the semi-auto version in the past. I thought I wanted one until I actually held one and shot it. That is one heavy beast! Fun to shoot though.
    I think the Thompsons ergonomic failings become extremely obvious on the closed bolt semi versions.

Even semi on the open bolt isn't that great.

Full auto really is the way to go

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom