• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    This rifle came to me from the Museum I work for in a really sad burned condition. Burned and corroded guns represent a difficult challenge. even more when they are particularly rare and historic.
    This Colt Root Model 1855 was an Issue rifle to the US Army, Percussion .54 Caliber. The model 1855 was an early attempt at having a multi shot weapon and worked rather well but was HATED by those that had to use one. Problem being that when shooting one, your left hand and arm holding the fore-stock was exposed to the flash from the gap between cylinder and breech. Often it would set their uniform sleeve on fire and if there were lead shavings it would add to the discomfort! Many soldier that used these would have leather arm guards on their left arm.
    This gun had been messed with some time before the fire and internal springs were
    missing. The entire fore-stock was burned with much of it gone.
    I frequently buy broken antique furniture to salvage reusable period wood for repair and renovation. Period wood is very unlike the wood blanks made today. The aged grain and appearance is quite different and NOT correct. The fore-stock I had to hand carve a duplicate from a Black Walnut table leg and fit it using the burned one as a model. The Buttstock is original with blemishes and marks as preserved.
    I could only attach ten files needed one more.
    Before and after.......
    CRR-001-tif-1a.jpg
    CRR-002-tifa.jpg
    CRR-003-tif-a.jpg
    CRR-005-tifa.jpg
    CRR-007-tifa.jpg
    CRR-016-tifa.jpg
    CRR-017-tifa.jpg
    CRR-011-tifa.jpg
    CRR-010-tifa.jpg

Attachments

• CRR-017-tifa.jpg
      CRR-017-tifa.jpg
      189.3 KB · Views: 103

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    All of those pieces that I have brought back to life for posterity and Our Heritage has been quite rewarding.
    Revolving rifles like these are very rare and working on them is incredible.
    Which is also "Bitter Sweet" because my time is slowly running out! I have absolutely no one to pass this along to. That being said, When I am Gone so is ALL of this......
    John

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey!
    That sounds like fun but not real practical. It would be excessively expensive. A few years back I was offered a job in Texas doing this stuff but it was out of the question. I am just too old now and my health is not good. I appreciate the thought and the offer. IF any one were to come here and see this f-ing mess... it would be a real game changer. There is so much more here than just guns. Very few people are allowed in here and those that do come here just wander around in circles. Antiques that go back before The Revolutionary War, many bookcases filled with period books.
    Not to mention, where would the Chief and I go. I need at LEAST 3000 square feet. Whew!!!!

txmechanic

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    springtown texas
    This rifle came to me from the Museum I work for in a really sad burned condition. Burned and corroded guns represent a difficult challenge. even more when they are particularly rare and historic.
    This Colt Root Model 1855 was an Issue rifle to the US Army, Percussion .54 Caliber. The model 1855 was an early attempt at having a multi shot weapon and worked rather well but was HATED by those that had to use one. Problem being that when shooting one, your left hand and arm holding the fore-stock was exposed to the flash from the gap between cylinder and breech. Often it would set their uniform sleeve on fire and if there were lead shavings it would add to the discomfort! Many soldier that used these would have leather arm guards on their left arm.
    This gun had been messed with some time before the fire and internal springs were
    missing. The entire fore-stock was burned with much of it gone.
    I frequently buy broken antique furniture to salvage reusable period wood for repair and renovation. Period wood is very unlike the wood blanks made today. The aged grain and appearance is quite different and NOT correct. The fore-stock I had to hand carve a duplicate from a Black Walnut table leg and fit it using the burned one as a model. The Buttstock is original with blemishes and marks as preserved.
    I could only attach ten files needed one more.
    Before and after....... View attachment 263186 View attachment 263187 View attachment 263188 View attachment 263189 View attachment 263190 View attachment 263191 View attachment 263192 View attachment 263194 View attachment 263195
    get job restoring that rifle' looks like new.. great job there

Top Bottom