Texas SOT

A real knife attack is likely to look like this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Guy came after me with a box cutter once. Nothing compared to a 10 inch blade but he left a nasty scar on my arm when I put it up to block my face. Makes you a little more aware of what people around you have in their hands.

What the hell? That's scary shit, right there.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.
    Hurley's Gold

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    What the hell? That's scary shit, right there.

Yea. I got lucky. Exboyfriend got mad because I flushed his coke stash I found in his wallet. Walked up on me in the kitchen. His brother saw what he was doing and got to him just and he got to me.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    I called them BS because the people teaching them teach (IMO) way too much confidence in them. The person being disarmed freezes and doesn't resist the disarm, and they make it seem safe and clean.

It's neither. Like I said earlier, I took a knife from my ex when she was threatening to hurt herself with it. Disarm was by the book, she didn't have time to react, she didn't even fight back against what I did, not that she had any time to really put up a struggle. And yet, I've got a scar from that episode.

I will admit, it wasn't exactly a butter knife I was taking away from her. That Mora is so sharp that if you touch the edge, it's going to draw blood...

In other words, I think they're BS because it's supposed to be easy and safe. Hell no. You're going to get cut, and if you don't, it's dumb luck that either you managed to avoid the edge, or the edge wasn't a razor. I'll admit, I'd be way more comfortable trying a disarm on someone that's brandishing a Type 2 AK bayonet at me, because I know it's going to be duller than the guy waving it. Show me something that's actually sharp and I'm out.
    I understand exactly where your coming from. You MUST have confidence in your techniques or you'll freeze up when time to apply comes out. Plus when teaching a class you must be confident or why would anybody listen to you. However most systems rely on flashy lighning quick overly complicated methods, instead of control of the knife arm. But even under the best circumstances, it's still requires great skill and chances are yea, your gonna get cut some. Sill better than getting stabbed for the most part. Now against a trained knife fighter....ehhh your kinda screwed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ouch. Even a box cutter can cause serious damage. I've had a partially-severed tendon (work-related), and that was absolutely no fun. Didn't take much of a cut, either.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Yea. I got lucky. Exboyfriend got mad because I flushed his coke stash I found in his wallet. Walked up on me in the kitchen. His brother saw what he was doing and got to him just and he got to me.

Damn. That's messed up.
    Glad you're ok.

CachookinLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Louisiana
    Makes me want a few La Griffes, Piqué-Culs, and other creatures of Fred Perrin and Laci Szabo's creation. And some douk fouls. Knives are some bad mojo, and it takes much training and help from the Lord to not be stabbed and cut to pieces by an attacker with one. Scares the poop out of me to face a man that knows how to use a knife, and I've seen wounds from 12 gauges, pistols, .30 caliber rifles, but the knife- yikes.To the poster that was attacked by the ex, I'm sorry that ever happened to you, and thank God you're ok.

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    Check this vid out... Vigilante Justice Stabbing

This is really interesting. Multiple camera angles of an actual lethal stabbing. Watch the whole video or skip to 2:25 for the best camera angle on attack.

Korean Gangster Kills Cult Member on Live TV - YouTube

This lethal stabbing happened in front of 50 or so people with multiple camera angles capturing it. The victim is a japanese cult leader responsible for those sarin gas attacks in the tokyo subways.

I find a few things fascinating in the vid. The attacker appears to do 1-4 deep stabs into the lower abdomen with a long katana style blade. The victim doesn't even realize what has happened until about 2-3 seconds after. He's obviously confused and he even looks at his wrist/forearm, thinking that is where the wound is! Then, you see his brain catch up to what his body is feeling, a glimmer of recondition, pain, and he almost faints staggering into his cult compound. He bleeds out in the end.

The attacker apparently was trained/skilled as his attack hit a major organ and he twisted the blade for maximum blood loss. After the attack, he throws down the blade and patiently waits to be arrested.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Makes me want a few La Griffes, Piqué-Culs, and other creatures of Fred Perrin and Laci Szabo's creation. And some douk fouls. Knives are some bad mojo, and it takes much training and help from the Lord to not be stabbed and cut to pieces by an attacker with one. Scares the poop out of me to face a man that knows how to use a knife, and I've seen wounds from 12 gauges, pistols, .30 caliber rifles, but the knife- yikes.To the poster that was attacked by the ex, I'm sorry that ever happened to you, and thank God you're ok.

Thank You.

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    Ouch. Even a box cutter can cause serious damage. I've had a partially-severed tendon (work-related), and that was absolutely no fun. Didn't take much of a cut, either.

I've done exactly the same thing. Can't really explain how it happened, but I'll admit to not being careful enough. Just a simple flick is all it took to reach the bone on both fingers with a relatively dull knife at the time.

1 1/2 tendons and a nerve.

i-CK4TqrC-L.jpg

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    This is making me think that I maybe should get something larger than my Boker pen-knife for EDC. Anyone able to recommend a thread that would teach me what i need to look for?

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is really interesting. Multiple camera angles of an actual lethal stabbing. Watch the whole video or skip to 2:25 for the best camera angle on attack.

Korean Gangster Kills Cult Member on Live TV - YouTube

This lethal stabbing happened in front of 50 or so people with multiple camera angles capturing it. The victim is a japanese cult leader responsible for those sarin gas attacks in the tokyo subways.

I find a few things fascinating in the vid. The attacker appears to do 1-4 deep stabs into the lower abdomen with a long katana style blade. The victim doesn't even realize what has happened until about 2-3 seconds after. He's obviously confused and he even looks at his wrist/forearm, thinking that is where the wound is! Then, you see his brain catch up to what his body is feeling, a glimmer of recondition, pain, and he almost faints staggering into his cult compound. He bleeds out in the end.

The attacker apparently was trained/skilled as his attack hit a major organ and he twisted the blade for maximum blood loss. After the attack, he throws down the blade and patiently waits to be arrested.

Yep, see how he moves in close, grabs the guy's shirt in the pocket area and stabs from the waist? Dude knew what he was doing.

I've done exactly the same thing. Can't really explain how it happened, but I'll admit to not being careful enough. Just a simple flick is all it took to reach the bone on both fingers with a relatively dull knife at the time.

1 1/2 tendons and a nerve.

i-CK4TqrC-L.jpg

Ouch. The recovery sucks. How much mobility did you get back? I lost about 5-10%. Extensor tendon, right index finger.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I got lucky, had a damn good surgeon and PT crew. I got 100% back.

I'm just glad I didn't wind up having to see a PT. I've heard about them...

Lucked out on the surgeon who was on duty at the ER that night, and got an orthopedic surgeon. But the cut was right over a knuckle, which I think made things a little tougher on the healing front.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    one thing ive learned that helps in a lot of areas in life including preparing yourself for a knife attack is Mindset. When facing a blade, the best thing to do is to accept the inevitable possibility that you ARE going to get stabbed/cut/etc. That mental preparedness will help you "push through that pain", so you are more focused on disarming/controlling/etc. your attacker rather than the pain or the anticipation of the pain. The down side to this, Mindset is FAR more difficult to train and obtain than any physical training. Back in the Corps, we Marines love to grapple, especially when "dominance is being challenged" (so to speak), and I must admit, ive seen my share of small-sized Marines grappling other guys that are, at least, twice their weight/size... and won! why? cuz they tell themselves "im not losing to this ******!" and mentally take it to the point to where they mentally feel they were literally fighting for survival. They also had whats called "violence of action", where you decide to do something... don't hesitate, don't hold back, dont stop, keep pushing forward, all while being almost animalistic with your actions. "Violence of action" goes hand-in-hand with Mindset.... Mindset to prepare you for the inevitable... and "violence of action" to make sure you win... just my .... Of course, im not saying to NOT physically train and aquire skills that's important too lol!

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    Driller, inside of 20 feet distance or so, a fast knife wielder will win vs. a gunman with a holstered pistol.

The attitude that a gun is superior to a knife in every situation gets a lot of people stabbed.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Maj. Gen. John Stark (1728-1822)

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    Learn to protect yourself better from the knife. Central Texas Combatives Training Group.

A lot of free training.

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    Driller, inside of 20 feet distance or so, a fast knife wielder will win vs. a gunman with a holstered pistol.

The attitude that a gun is superior to a knife in every situation gets a lot of people stabbed.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Maj. Gen. John Stark (1728-1822)

A lot of folks lose the training scenarios even with their guns out.

Also remember that most street smart thugs that might want to stab you are smart enough not to bring the knife out unless they're within an arms length or so too.

Top Bottom