APOD Firearms

A real knife attack is likely to look like this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I trained for knife fighting about 25 years. prefer gun anyday. At least the way that guy was holding his knife is more defensible than the better way to hold it in the reverse position. That old guy had a jacket. You have two choices lay down and die or go on the offensive. worse thing that could happen is you will die. At least you will die after some good knee kicks and maybe get a fist in the throat or ram your finger in an eye socket.
    Capitol Armory ad

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    I trained for knife fighting about 25 years. prefer gun anyday. At least the way that guy was holding his knife is more defensible than the better way to hold it in the reverse position. That old guy had a jacket. You have two choices lay down and die or go on the offensive. worse thing that could happen is you will die. At least you will die after some good knee kicks and maybe get a fist in the throat or ram your finger in an eye socket.

I agree about the offensive and fighting back. If you're on defense in that situation then you're only option is to react to their action and action is always faster than reaction. Either way you're pretty much guaranteed to get cut or stabbed anyways.

However if you've had such training then you should know that having a gun in such a situation guarantees nothing. Especially when you take into consideration that even the best training in the world does very little to prepare you for reality. I know I'd prefere to have a gun, but I also know that it does not necessarily beat a knife unless the guy is dumb enough to threaten you from a cross the street or something (which is rare for a knife attacker).

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    It is sad that in the world today I have a habit of having to get in a ready position sometimes just when I am pumping gas if I see someone coming up to me to ask a question or something else.

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    It is sad that in the world today I have a habit of having to get in a ready position sometimes just when I am pumping gas if I see someone coming up to me to ask a question or something else.
    I hear ya on that one.

However I'd rather someone think I'm a bit jumpy or weird than be caught completely off guard.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Those damn EPA safety crap on gasoline hoses have had me to change gas pump strategy. Old way was that you could point gas nozzle at a threat and fire weapon. The muzzle blast would create a flame thrower. New nozzles will not allow fuel to dispense until the surrounding shroud has created a vacuum.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    Those damn EPA safety crap on gasoline hoses have had me to change gas pump strategy. Old way was that you could point gas nozzle at a threat and fire weapon. The muzzle blast would create a flame thrower. New nozzles will not allow fuel to dispense until the surrounding shroud has created a vacuum.
    Jesus..... that's awesome!

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

I don't know how much force is necessary, but the hoses have a shear pin and will separate from the pump. It would be slow and heavy but better than nothing.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Attacker not holding knife correctly. And he brought his knife to what should be a gunfight.

How was he not holding the knife correctly? Thumb wrapped over fingers, knife forward is probably the most effective, since you get better reach (vs reverse), is more effective for stabbing (not as limited as a reverse grip), which is what will really stop a fight instead of slashing and is a strong grip that's less likely to cause a slip that puts your fingers on the edge when stabbing (like placing your thumb along the spine can cause).

Slashing has its place and all, but it's not nearly as likely to put someone down. You'll get shallow wounds, which really limits your effective target areas a lot. Stabbing attacks are faster (look back to ancient Greece and Rome; they knew the point beats the edge, the Romans thought anybody who slashed with a blade was a noob), they're harder to block/dodge and they cause deeper wounds that are more likely to cause fight-stopping injuries.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    How was he not holding the knife correctly? Thumb wrapped over fingers, knife forward is probably the most effective, since you get better reach (vs reverse), is more effective for stabbing (not as limited as a reverse grip), which is what will really stop a fight instead of slashing and is a strong grip that's less likely to cause a slip that puts your fingers on the edge when stabbing (like placing your thumb along the spine can cause).

Slashing has its place and all, but it's not nearly as likely to put someone down. You'll get shallow wounds, which really limits your effective target areas a lot. Stabbing attacks are faster (look back to ancient Greece and Rome; they knew the point beats the edge, the Romans thought anybody who slashed with a blade was a noob), they're harder to block/dodge and they cause deeper wounds that are more likely to cause fight-stopping injuries.

just personal preference. harder to stop someone who has a reverse grip. You have to get closer but you get two attacks in one move. first movement forward slashes then the millisecond next is when you stab pulling back. all done in one movement. if they try to grab your arm they have to grab the blade also.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Did he accomplish his goal, to ginsu the hell out of the other guy?

I'd say so. 100% feeder.

That means he was holding it just fine.

Grip doesn't have anything to do with effectiveness or the ease of stopping said attacks.

I spent a while training with the Atienza family when I lived up north. They cut the shit out of me in a variety of ways just fine.

You can armchair quarterback this stuff all day, it doesn't matter what stabbing instrument you have or what grip(s) you use.

The feeder with the will and physical ability to kill is going to win.

The receiver is screwed.

That's it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Did he accomplish his goal, to ginsu the hell out of the other guy?

I'd say so. 100% feeder.

That means he was holding it just fine.

Grip doesn't have anything to do with effectiveness or the ease of stopping said attacks.

I spent a while training with the Atienza family when I lived up north. They cut the shit out of me in a variety of ways just fine.

You can armchair quarterback this stuff all day, it doesn't matter what stabbing instrument you have or what grip(s) you use.

The feeder with the will and physical ability to kill is going to win.

The receiver is screwed.

That's it.

Hell to the yes. Mindset is everything. That pretty much says it all.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad the folks around here get this.

Pretty much everyone on all the other gun forums will never concede that a knife may in fact trump a gun, most of them don't even think knives are dangerous. I've stupidly had debates with many of them.
    It's why I keep a ready blade by the door and by the bed. Good post.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If I was to see someone who (A) held the knife low and center pointed at me I would be a lot more scared than the guy who (B) looks like a flamenco dancer with a reverse grip. Guy (A) knows how to use a knife.
    Also, not trying to piss anyone off, but using a gun to make a flamethrower out of a gas pump is one of the more "out there" ideas I've ever heard of. You're filling your car fer chrissakes - the odds are you have a vehicle with an open gas cap on one side and the pump on the other side - you're in a small confined area and you're going to ignite gasoline? Jeezus - that's certainly one way to take them with you - plus all the other innocent bystanders. That friggin hose pressure would be lucky to project 4 feet meaning you're going to immediately be standing in or very near to a helluva conflagration. You ever stand 4 feet from a bonfire? Also - realistically speaking the guy will be within a few feet of you with his weapon ready and in the time you ascertain a threat you plan on removing the hose and pointing it while simultaneously drawing your weapon and firing? Don't think so...

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    I'm curious as to if there's any way using that gasoline hose tactic wouldn't get you tossed in jail.

There's precedent for exonerating a defensive shooting, but lighting up some portion of a gas station and risking igniting the whole damn place?

Reckless endangerment wouldn't be hard to prove, I wouldn't think.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Maj. Gen. John Stark (1728-1822)

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    If I was to see someone who (A) held the knife low and center pointed at me I would be a lot more scared than the guy who (B) looks like a flamenco dancer with a reverse grip. Guy (A) knows how to use a knife.
    QUOTE]

I personally am taking anybody with a knife drawn as a serious threat. Weather they really know how to use it or not doesn't mean they can't get lucky. It's just like an unarmed fight, anybody can punch your clock if they land it right. Screw that, they want to appear as a threat, treat them as such.

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    It's why I keep a ready blade by the door and by the bed. Good post.

I have a Gerber Prodigy on my side and my gf has a professionally sharpened SOG seal pup elite on hers. :cool:

I personally am taking anybody with a knife drawn as a serious threat. Weather they really know how to use it or not doesn't mean they can't get lucky. It's just like an unarmed fight, anybody can punch your clock if they land it right. Screw that, they want to appear as a threat, treat them as such.

I can't remember who said it, but it's one of my favorite quotes.

"The greatest swordsman in the land has nothing to fear from the second greatest, but everything to fear from the idiot with a blade who has absolutely no idea what he's doing."

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

+1. It's not hard to get lucky and score a hit with a knife...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom