A real knife attack is likely to look like this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    If I was to see someone who (A) held the knife low and center pointed at me I would be a lot more scared than the guy who (B) looks like a flamenco dancer with a reverse grip. Guy (A) knows how to use a knife.
    QUOTE]

I personally am taking anybody with a knife drawn as a serious threat. Weather they really know how to use it or not doesn't mean they can't get lucky. It's just like an unarmed fight, anybody can punch your clock if they land it right. Screw that, they want to appear as a threat, treat them as such.

i agree... looks like shit, smells like shit... must be shit!
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As they say, untrained criminals kill people all day long, everyday. Anyone can get lucky. A threat is a threat, period.

Joshsquatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    San Antonio
    I have been taught multiple martial arts growing up and you definitely can defend against this with basic japanese jujitsu techniques. I have been rushed like this in plenty of scenerios with no remorse from my sparring partner. I just recommend taking some classes then you will know. Martial arts can protect you for those times you can't reach for your gun.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I have been taught multiple martial arts growing up and you definitely can defend against this with basic japanese jujitsu techniques. I have been rushed like this in plenty of scenerios with no remorse from my sparring partner. I just recommend taking some classes then you will know. Martial arts can protect you for those times you can't reach for your gun.

Id have to see that. The knife defense with basic Jujitsu part that is.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, IMO, there are far too many people out there teaching "knife defense" or "knife fighting" that are completely unqualified to be doing so. A person doesn't necessarily have to have been in a knife fight to be able to teach some aspects of it. That being said, I think it takes a really solid instructor that has put in a lot of work studying edged weapons and fighting with them in a realistic manner quite significantly. Some Sayoc instructors, like Sayoc Tactical Group are a good example. Those guys eat, sleep, and breathe that stuff every day. It's not just their 9-5 job, like a lot of instructors you'll see commonly offering some of these classes (usually at martial arts schools, gyms, etc). There is also a pretty valuable insight a person can gain from having been in an edged weapon fight, or having had to employ one offensively in general (for example, stopping a disarm attempt). I have seen some people advertise that they teach edged weapon fighting that have most likely never even been in a honest to goodness fist fight before. That just doesn't measure up IMO.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Indiana dropped our 6" blade rule years back. Now we can carry swords if we've a mind to.

I carry a Kill-A-BeAR daily. Prior to that, I carried an M3 Trench knife and before that, a Colt Steel Master Hunter skinning knife. Always with me is the Spyderco Clipit designed by Wayne Goddard that has been with me since training.

If you're attacked by a knife-wielding aggressor, your best bet is to tie up his knife hand. Figure on getting slashed while doing this. A slash is usually not a big thing -- your arteries in your arms are generally difficult to get to.

The attacker's arm will be rigid unless he's well practiced and/or well trained. This helps you keep control. It's easier to keep control of a stick than a piece of rope, if you take my meaning.

His focus will shift to the weapon... if it's not a decoy, and chances are it's not. This means you can take the edge of your palm and strike repeatedly on and in front of the elbow until he drops the knife. If his sole attention is not yet on retaining the knife, it will be focused to the pain you're causing. An alternative is to just break the elbow, or if the situation dictates, do your best to crush his wind pipe with the edge of your palm, a fist, elbow, or whatever's handy.

Slashes hurt, but the real danger is in the thrusts. I might take a slash to get into a better position; I will never take a thrust to do the same.

The stupidest martial arts instruction I've seen is to offer a "sacrifice arm" to create a strike opening. The hands should be relatively close together so that if one misses a grapple (control), the other can help recover it.

I am speaking from both hard and soft forms, and from grappling and striking forms. This is what works for me and may not work for you depending on your training and build.

Josh

combined.png

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I do know this, knife wounds are ugly and can get really messy. Not to mention that they can become lethal really quick

drawl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Ha! a truly fast man will cut you to PIECES while you try this. Without a LOT of training at kicking, a decent floor surface for footing, and something to throw in his face as you counterattack, you are going to suffer serious, maiming wounds, if not death. Shoot him if he's within 10 ft, and draw if he's within 30 ft, or face the consequences of your ignorance.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

No offense, but Steven Seagal makes the same claims (only with Aikido). The dojo and the sidewalk are two different animals. Was your friend really trying to kill you? Was he being adaptive, or just using a series of pre-determined "steps?"

If someone is trying to kill you with a knife it's anybody's guess who will survive, no matter how good you are.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

I’m retired “U T” faculty. A few years back, when the new Law allowing licensed CC on campus went into effect, we all heard the predictions.

But, a licensed veteran/student at Austin did stop a terrorist with a knife, after one was dead, by getting a handgun from his nearby car and holding the knife perp at gunpoint until Police arrived.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Knives are scary, scary things to face because they don't require anywhere near the same skill to use as a handgun, they don't need reloaded, and where bullets tend to just poke holes, knives can poke holes or cut you open like a trout.

At contact range, I'd rather face a gun than a knife, because you only need to worry about one direction with the gun - that being hte muzzle. A knife has the point for stabbing, but at least one edge for cutting, and its generally easier to hold onto a knife than it is a pistol, and a lot harder to wrench a knife from someone's grip than a gun because what are you going to grab, the blade?

Most of the knife disarms taught in martial arts schools are garbage. I say this as a life long martial artist - the shit that I was taught in my TKD school is by and large absolute bullshit when it comes to facing a weapon.

There are some valid tactics when dealing with a knife - but when it comes down to it - solid wrestling / grappling skills are some of the most effective, useful techniques when dealing with a knife-weilding opponent. You want to control the arm / wrist of the knife, not the hand. Control the arm, keep the hand away from you, and expect to get cut or poked when fighting someone with a knife.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I worry about zombie threads, clawing their way out of their online graves to haunt the message boards that spawned them. Even worse if they have knives.

Necro-posts are annoying. Annoying as hell.
    I am OK with bumping antiquated threads for an obvious laugh or, continuing / updating discussion in an existing thread as opposed to starting a new one. JMHO

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    In our Krav Maga self-defense classes (I attend twice per week, last three years) ,instructors seem to worry more about a knife scenario than a handgun.
    That's because the gun should always win and there is no point in worrying. You're dead either way with a knife, you've got mine a 20% chance to survive if you get REALLY lucky and the guy with the knife has no idea what he is doing. 20% is worth worrying about IMO

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Top Bottom