A REAL look at Gun Free Zones

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Shorts, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Kudos for finally running a realistic story about gun free zones

Video in link - watch it!
    When Seconds Count: Stopping Active Killers - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com

2. Code3GT

Code3GT Active Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Outstanding journalism. The facts are there, and no agenda fillers stuffed in the crevices

3. Shorts

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think the only thing I see is setting up a hint of power play from LE. I'm glad they have reevaluated their procedures to update tactics. But I cringe at the thought of them down the road saying something to the effect of "well we've got it all handled now, we're updated, so now there's really no reason for concealed carry in these 'gun free zones'".

Like I said, that's the only angle I can see develop but aside from that everything was presented well. What I would love to see is an acknowledgment of CCWers by LE and how they could bridge this gap between the criminal starting an attack and LE arriving on scene. But, that's a different story and there's a whole lot of worms in that can! :lolz:

4. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    There's one for the "No Shit, Sherlock" file.

5. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Power play from LE? Most LE I know would love for EVERYONE to have a gun on them. Crime would drop dramatically! Officers enjoy dealing with those that have a CHL, as we know they are law abiding ang very easy to work with....I think you have the wrong impression of LE...

6. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    LE knows that they cannot be everywhere and first and foremost, it is the CITIZENS duty to be responsible for their own safety...if that means everyone carry a weapon, so be it.....criminals love unarmed victims.

7. Shorts

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

I hope I do. And I don't mean to imply that I don't like law enforcement folks cause its actually just the opposite. Here in Texas we grew up with the Troopers and the Texas Rangers and I have always thought those folks iconic. Overall, being in Texas, folks are independent and take care of their own. And I love it. Besides, folks from other states don't want me and I have no where else to go, they say I'm arrogant :lolz:

I think I'm disillusioned lately with the controversial actions of some LEOs and agencies out on the east coast that I'm wondering what in the world is going on??? Off the top of my head the incidents were: the forced entry in MD on a mayor's house, the arrests of OC citizens in VA and most recently the PA soccer mom packing heat happenings in PA. Its actions like that make me pause.

Take a look at this video of an OC debate with Mrs Hain (the PA soccer mom).

SFN on Lynn Doyle

I realize OC and CC are two different things but what I find concerning is the reaction of the police and the folks in opposition in general. The discussion vears back and forth between carrying a gun in general vs carry OC. Many of the arguments thrown against Mrs Hain are in regards to carrying a gun in general. They contest the safety of those around her. They contest her training, her judgement and her abilities. Its bothersome that the Detective there in the video feed regards gun carriers as terrible as he does. That's surely not how all LE thinks right? (I'm begging for a bit of assurance for myself too;)).

I would imagine that every CCWer has considered the actual procedure in case they ever did fire their weapon in SD. I would imagine every CCWer has gotten some extra training because they want to be proficient. I wuld imagine that CCWers have seriously taken to heart the ramifications of every aspect of carrying. (and if anyone here hasn't, you should!!)

I guess its just a big blow to hear such garbage from the very folks that we as CCers or Ocers, in a way, work in tandem with. I always thought it was the good guys versus the bad guys. Then to be talked about like you're a bad guy, well, its no good. :(

This is refreshing to hear. Thanks.

My reference to "power play" was motivated by a reply in another forum I read. The poster mentioned "unionize cops" and "job security". I'm pretty sure that wasn't very nice but it made a little sense on why that detective was so protective of taking care of the crime without any civilian interference (...so that there's not "confusion" on who the bad guy is)

8. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I agree with Shorts on this one. However, ALL of the LEOs I have met around Austin, whether a Reservist like myself or when my car was stolen, were for concealed carry. Unfortunately, those aren't the guys that make policy. I have nothing against LEOs in the central Texas area because I have had no bad experiences with them the times I have been stopped. They are typically good to make fun of at the range b/c they are often poor shots when you get out past 7 yards.

Back on topic - if a CHL holder had been armed in a building during any of the school shootings that person could have inarguably stopped the murderer. If you read the book, On Combat - Dave Grossman, the research has been done on all of these events. The individuals that commit these atrocities are spineless cowards and are only empowered b/c they have a weapon and victims do not. EVERYTIME the murderer has been confronted by an armed defender they have been stopped. EVERYTIME. The main stream media doesn't report it because it doesn't fit their agenda which stands as: guns are bad, they kill people, if there weren't guns in the world no one would die or be murdered - basically guns are the problem.
    :banghead: We all know that guns happen to be a very good solution to most problems when employed properly. :texas:

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not true, there have been instances of CHL holders attempting to stop someone that is armed and being one of the victims. One was a guy that was assaulting a courthouse with a rifle in Tyler, TX, a CHL holder pulled on him and was killed. The guy was later shot by Police after a chase.

The obvious result however is that it allowed police additional time to respond, and distracted the guy from killing unarmed people. He saved probably 2, 3, or more lives.

10. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson

I remember that incident. The Tyler press even said that it was the attack of the CHL holder that stopped the BG's attack and cause him to retreat. I read that it was said by all those present that the CHL holders involvement resulted in less deaths over all. Unfortunately, the CHL holder did not survive his act of valor.:(