• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    I mean if you could only grab one. I was thinking a compact rifle in .22LR would be a good choice for all around usefulness in a SHTF situation
    Military Camp

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    as long as that SHTF situation was attack of rabid squirrels or coons......., yea - anything thing other than critters tho - like say 2 legged varmints and I'm stickin with one of my M4s.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Fergal said they came in handy when SHTF in Argentina.

Good for small game meals, and for practicing without using harder-to-get centerfire ammo.

Really good read from a guy who lived thru a real SHTF scenario.

959025dce1d80ac76f66d9f430eb29c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I think its a wise choose in a situation you have to leave your bunker. You can haul a ton more 22lr ammo than .308.

And I am still waiting for the guy that is willing to stand down range of someone shooting 22lr.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I think I would feel under gunned in an EOTWAWKI situation. No one has a 10/22 on "The Walking Dead", heh. I'm grabbing an M4 type. In a "Last Man on Earth" situation, a 10/22 might be okay.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I think I would feel under gunned in an EOTWAWKI situation. No one has a 10/22 on "The Walking Dead", heh. I'm grabbing an M4 type. In a "Last Man on Earth" situation, a 10/22 might be okay.

The whole time watching that show, I was thinking man a 10/22 TD would be good for picking off zombies. I mean their heads are soft enough where people are digging knives into their skulls, a .22lr should work just fine

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    I think 10/22 great weapon/tool if you find ammo that is readable in yours. Each has its own preference. Mine likes thunderbolt bulk...go figure..... I still have a lever action 22 lr and revolver just in case I can't find my ammo of choice. Those are much more reiable with an y kind of 22 lr you can find. I have a pump action shotgun as well. Both wil serve you well. I still have my AR but these are great additions and backup for various needs

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I am a member of a couple survivalist sites. It's a fascination I have. It is commonly known amongst those people that a 22 is your best one gun situation. Is it the best at everything? Clearly no. If you need to be on the move with several thousand rounds of ammo, it can't be beat. Even throwing in a zombie apocalypse, the 22 is still the answer unless the zombies end up being the world war Z type. Then you're screwed no matter what :) Would I want to take a walk through a rough neighborhood with a 22? Hell no but I don't really foresee myself walking through rough neighborhoods given the choice anyway. Let's be thankful that we don't have to choose just one for now.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    Agreed.... my preference in a neighborhood would be the AR and a 9mm. Still in a survival situation for food gathering the 22lr and shotgun can be a great addition to your tool bag. Yes the 22lr can be a viable option in SD but not particularly preferable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I remember a few(???) years back some company was making and selling a fully automatic 22LR. I saw it demo'ed and it was impressive. A 100 rnd round drum magazine that by the time it was emptied there was a large hole in a cinder block wall. I don't remember the rate of fire but it was a bunch. It was being pushed as a safer alternative to the fully automatic weapons of the time, mostly 9mm as it didn't have the penetration of the 9 but when you stacked a hundred of them it a little spot (very little recoil) it did a lot of damage.

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I think a 22 takedown is almost a requirement for anyone considering a SHTF scenario. The people who make it out of a SHTF situation are the ones seen least. If you're looking for a gunfight, chances are you'll be the shit on the fan. Low profile, let threats come and go and go suppressed if you can.

cvansickler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    10/22 would be great for putting food on the table. and you can carry alot of ammo without a lot of weight.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I have one with the 1:9 twist barrel for the 60gr SSS and also shoots normal 22s well. It will cycle with most subsonic ammo and with a can is air rifle quiet. It would work for almost any situation, 4 legged or closer 2 legged.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Age old question and the answer is...Yes and No!

1) If your intention is to survive and avoid any conflict it's a great choice and if you are a dead shot with it you can defend yourself in light, very light conflict. Its draw backs are range and knock down power so you have a ten ring shooter if you go up against anyone. As a defensive weapon unless the odds are high against you in head count and you are in a great defensive position you should see daylight. The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun and yes you can haul a lot of ammo, but better think twice on that. If you intentions are to fly below the radar and avoid conflict all costs the 500 rd should take you well past the 6 mo mark. If the Ruger was to be my only weapon I would DEF consider a can for it. Keeps you quiet!

2) The other option is the AR 15 in 5.56 its going to give you a margin of safety the .22 LR will not. No you cannot carry as many rds, but unless you get into a firefight 300-500 is going to last you 6 mo or more and keep food on the table. Get a can for it for sure.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Or you can have the best of both worlds, an AR-15 (.223/5.56) with a drop in .22lr kit. I have a CMMG drop in kit for my AR, while it's not that precise, it is good enough to get good hits on squirrels or rabbits. With crap ammo, I can get 2+" groups @50yrds, with better ammo, around 1-1.5. Other than being cheaper to shoot, it's hella fun as well, I can easily go through 500 rnds in one range trip. Right now, I just have a cheap Gamo scope that came with my air rifle, combined with a good set of mounts, on my AR for shooting .22lr and carry handle for .223/5.56. Even after switching sights, both are pretty much back to zero when I shoot, good enough for combat effective hits.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Age old question and the answer is...Yes and No!

1) If your intention is to survive and avoid any conflict it's a great choice and if you are a dead shot with it you can defend yourself in light, very light conflict. Its draw backs are range and knock down power so you have a ten ring shooter if you go up against anyone. As a defensive weapon unless the odds are high against you in head count and you are in a great defensive position you should see daylight. The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun and yes you can haul a lot of ammo, but better think twice on that. If you intentions are to fly below the radar and avoid conflict all costs the 500 rd should take you well past the 6 mo mark. If the Ruger was to be my only weapon I would DEF consider a can for it. Keeps you quiet!

2) The other option is the AR 15 in 5.56 its going to give you a margin of safety the .22 LR will not. No you cannot carry as many rds, but unless you get into a firefight 300-500 is going to last you 6 mo or more and keep food on the table. Get a can for it for sure.

The idea that one will be able to feed themselves during an all out TEOTWAWKO is laughable. All the game is going to be gone within a month or two at best. There's going to be A LOT of people trying to do the same thing. You also run into the problem of preserving meat from larger game.

In Forstchen's One Second After he talks about people killing cattle to eat one meal and move on. They had no way to preserve the meat, and were only concerned about immediate survival.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The idea that one will be able to feed themselves during an all out TEOTWAWKO is laughable. All the game is going to be gone within a month or two at best. There's going to be A LOT of people trying to do the same thing. You also run into the problem of preserving meat from larger game.

In Forstchen's One Second After he talks about people killing cattle to eat one meal and move on. They had no way to preserve the meat, and were only concerned about immediate survival.
    Mail, I would love to subscribe to that theory but not so much. Sure gonna be a lot folks out there 80% will be going home in the first 30 days or less. The biggest cull of people will come in the first 72 hrs.

There is a reason why its called "HUNTing", cause you got to hunt to find them. There is not a lot of easy game getting and given that 80% have never hunted on their own they are gonna starve. Most folks will head back after all their rations are gone, hunger will drive them back to the cities. In addition water, NOTHING is more important than water and all those city dwellers, first creek they drink out of will have them pukein and poopin within 24 hrs.

Yea a 1000 lb cow will be shot to eat one meal, but in 30 days all the 'low hanging fruit' will be gone.

In a TEOTWAWKO situation I would be hauling my AR10 for 2 reasons: 1) Likelihood of a hostile engagement goes up and I want to be able to engage out to 800m; 2) easy game is gone and I need to reach out 300++ m to get the game that has become so spooked it jumps when it sees its shadow. My AR 10 is a .308 but hoping by then I have gained a 6.5CM upper.

As for preserving meat, that not a problem, at least for me it's not.

When I leave out I will carry 3 days water, 5 days food, after that I am on my own.

IOW I am not worried

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Mail, I would love to subscribe to that theory but not so much. Sure gonna be a lot folks out there 80% will be going home in the first 30 days or less. The biggest cull of people will come in the first 72 hrs.

There is a reason why its called "HUNTing", cause you got to hunt to find them. There is not a lot of easy game getting and given that 80% have never hunted on their own they are gonna starve. Most folks will head back after all their rations are gone, hunger will drive them back to the cities. In addition water, NOTHING is more important than water and all those city dwellers, first creek they drink out of will have them pukein and poopin within 24 hrs.

Yea a 1000 lb cow will be shot to eat one meal, but in 30 days all the 'low hanging fruit' will be gone.

In a TEOTWAWKO situation I would be hauling my AR10 for 2 reasons: 1) Likelihood of a hostile engagement goes up and I want to be able to engage out to 800m; 2) easy game is gone and I need to reach out 300++ m to get the game that has become so spooked it jumps when it sees its shadow. My AR 10 is a .308 but hoping by then I have gained a 6.5CM upper.

As for preserving meat, that not a problem, at least for me it's not.

When I leave out I will carry 3 days water, 5 days food, after that I am on my own.

IOW I am not worried

You've thought it through. However there are a large number of people who think that they will just shoot squirrels for six months.

Top Bottom