• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Long, long ago. . . . . . . . Waaaay back,when I was young and slim, I was a young doctor "down" in the "Sparkling City by the Sea" the crown jewel of our Texas Gulf Coast. My older office partner was a very fine Yankee gentleman of German descent, a WW-II combat veteran, surgeon, and a "retired" ex US Navy Hospital Commander. His beautiful young wife, a professional singer from Canada, was pretty liberal for their day. One afternoon, the Doctor told me of a terrible problem he had. Seems that a very wealthy and grateful patient had sent him two primo firearms. One was a brand-new London custom double 20 in a fitted leather case with ivory snap caps and a gorgeous cleaning kit. Straight hand-cut top European walnut, etc. The second was a German .22 Anschutz target rifle, with fine stocks, sights, and accessories, also brand-new. His problem was that the young wife was "uncomfortable" with firearms in the home, even without ammo. Doctor inquired about selling them. Once I saw their great beauty, I decided to try to get him to keep them for his grandsons, who lived in quail & dove country in Jim Wells County. Figured I had convinced him to save the beautiful weapons. A few months later, I inquired how the grandsons liked the arms. To my great dismay he replied that he had sold them through a newspaper ad. Smiling, he told me that the first fellow to look bought them both. $100 for the .20 GA and $50 for the rifle. I thought I might just die and let him know that I would have gladly paid 10 or 20 times that for them ! So, now I am an old fat man. My advice to all is that, if you ever have a similar encounter, tell the friend that you'll keep his stuff protected in your safe until the issue is resolved. Good Evening, Rick
    Guns International

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I thought keeping firearms that didn't belong to you was both A.) Illegal and B.) A serious civil/liability risk.

Can anyone confirm? I've always been kinda hazy on the laws regarding this particular subject.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    think it (law on having firearms) Is subject to the state Gil, our poor doc has been exposed to PTSD. I think we can all see that fitted walnut rifle.. just wrong.. 50 and 100 dollars indeed.. think i'm going to have bad dreams now.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Decades ago one of the daughters bought me the definition of a "cocktail" book on British firearms.. it never made it onto a table of any sort, the covers are long gone, and most of the pages are lose in their binding. What a reader this turned out to be. We moved a few months ago, and it's out in a box to be RE read with pleasure. The process of buying a rifle from say H and H is long, expensive, make that REAL expensive, far from easy, as in adopting a child far from easy.. The end result is perfection. stupid expensive perfection, but perfection.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    What was his reaction when you told him how much the guns were worth?

He just shrugged and said that he "had to keep Mama happy". He was a very wealthy man. His wife gave him two ocean racing yachts. Perhaps I tried to be too ethical, and should have taken them off his hands; but, we were very good friends and I was thinking of his grandsons.

Top Bottom