• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    There I was, going into Specs Christmas Eve for some last minute Christmas cheer. I'm moving down the one-way lane in the right direction in my big'ol pickup truck when the big black Escalade comes in the wrong way and expects me to move. I really couldn't go anywhere and simply shrugged in a "What do want me to do?" kinda way. Well Mr. Badass, with his wife and children pulls up next to me and says "$#@& you, redneck cracker!" I had my wife and 9 year old daughter in the car and simply took a deep breath and parked.

He backed up I guess to confront me again, for what reason I do not know and I just moved deliberately into the store. I didn't want the situation to escalate and by the way I was carrying. I glanced over my shoulder as he peeled out of the parking lot squealing his tires and all I could mutter to myself was "Impressive".

I really didn't feel a sense of dread and had no intention of escalating the matter, afterall my family was there. I'm wondering if it was because I was carry that I felt a sense of preparedness. I couldnt believe the ridiculous behavior of this person, and on Christmas Eve to boot. Any thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    You did the right thing by ignoring a rude and perhaps insane idiot. He will continue to look for trouble until he finds it. When that happens I hope his next victim is prepared and there are no security cameras around.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Funny, I was also carrying in spec's for a last minute bit of holiday cheer.

Good call on going way beyond the call of social accountability to be polite. I also find myself doing way more than I "should" to just let things go or defuse confrontation. But, you know, it's especially annoying when it's the police trying to start the fights. Sigh.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    You did the right thing! Even without your family would you have done things differently? Sometimes you just have to put your ego/pride behind you and be the better man and walk away like you did. So was the thug correct are you a redneck cracker? LOL! J/K!!!

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    good stuff i hate people like that. ofcourse in this day you never know how far the gangster wannabes will go, and carrying is always a good idea.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Definately a good job. I find myself biting my tongue now more than ever, learned along time ago words will not hurt me (was told early in life but learned it as I aged). I find myself going further out of my way to not allow thigns to escalate. Taking deeper breaths and moving on.

Someone once told me (I think this is how it goes)

It's better to walk away than to fight
    It's better to fight than to mame
    It's better to mame than to kill
    It's better to kill than to die

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It's better to kill than to die

I think this can be distilled down to:

It's better to fight than to die

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    My thoughts are that this is exactly WHY you were smart in keeping it from esclating. ;)

Agreed. I cant help but feel an elevated sense of responsibility when im carrying.

Of course I've had the same experience while not carrying and had pretty much the same reaction, "Wow, you know where the accelerator is.."

Hell, just today I was road tripping down here to Houston from Anna, Texas and had one of the fairer sexes nearly run me off the road and then cut me off in her land yacht of an SUV. I said to my parents, riding with me, "One day, she will be a Darwin Award winner." My mother asked me if I'd ever thought about flashing my gun to someone in traffic... *sigh* I had to explain to her what NOT to do with my CHL.
    A few years ago in my town a guy got himself shot and killed on the highway that way. Mouthing off to another driver with his gun drawn, that driver pulled a gun and shot him. He wrecked, died and they never found the shooter.

Its just simply NOT something you do.

/rant

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Wow, your *Mom* asked you that? Was she kidding?

When people wave their bizarre/threatening behavior at me, my biggest risk of escalating the situation is when/if I'm unable to repress a smile at them, or god forbid laughing. They hate that.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Wow, your *Mom* asked you that? Was she kidding?

When people wave their bizarre/threatening behavior at me, my biggest risk of escalating the situation is when/if I'm unable to repress a smile at them, or god forbid laughing. They hate that.

Yep. It was more of a testing questions though. I don't think she was seriously asking me to, just seeing what my answer would be.

Top Bottom