• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    Our "Legislators" are constantly bombarded with demands & suggestions from all sides.

Perhaps we should simplify our message to them, and try this one FACT: We, in the USA, have endured over a century of various types of "gun control" Yet there is not one single instance of that gun control ever making anyone "safer". In fact, disarming honest citizens has ALWAYS backfired and made things worse.

Note that this concept does not involve any argument, dispute, or "theory"; and is easily observed.

What do you say ?

leVieux
    Hurley's Gold

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey L,

Most of our "elected/self important ruling class"?

Would benefit from a good

1626885770282.png

Tar & Feathering...along with ridden out of town on a rail.......

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    As you know gun control is not for citizen safety but for disarmament of the population. So arguing that gun control doesn’t increase safety is illogical.

Interesting if you ever read any of the gun magazines from the 50’s the gun control arguments are the same.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Politicians that push for more gun control couldn't care one bit about "safer". They never did, and they never will.

Facts mean nothing to them. They already know the facts, but they just don't care. They feed "safer" to an ill-informed masses to gain a broader range of people that will be crying and moaning we need more gun control to be a safer society.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    OP is making the false and misleading assumption that politicians that push for more gun control are practical and logical people that are upstanding individuals that care about their constituents. Nothing could be further from the truth.

IMO, there are two distinct groups of people that pander, or advocate for more gun control. One group does so out of emotional needs to want guns banned, who in a delusion, or naivete believe guns are bad, or evil, and that the simple act of gun restrictions and bans will stop criminals and bad things from happening. You will never be able to reason with these people, because they are motivated and ruled by their emotions. You cannot counter emotions in discussion with logic and facts, because those people are never going to listen to reason.

The other group, is motivated by their own political agenda of wanting guns restricted and some even just outright banned if possible. They know that without guns, they could manipulate and control the populace very easily. Every little law, restriction or ban they get pushed ahead gives them more power. Thinking you can reason with these people is lunacy.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axxe,

You are correct.

Col. Cooper coined a new word. "Hoplophobe"....

The other folks?

They will do anything to emasculate AMERICANS. (for their vile purpose)

Later, Mark

Disarming a populace to control them is not exactly a new concept either. It has happened for thousands of years in just about every civilization.

Just that in current times, it happens to be guns, instead swords and spears.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    OP is making the false and misleading assumption that politicians that push for more gun control are practical and logical people that are upstanding individuals that care about their constituents. Nothing could be further from the truth.

IMO, there are two distinct groups of people that pander, or advocate for more gun control. One group does so out of emotional needs to want guns banned, who in a delusion, or naivete believe guns are bad, or evil, and that the simple act of gun restrictions and bans will stop criminals and bad things from happening. You will never be able to reason with these people, because they are motivated and ruled by their emotions. You cannot counter emotions in discussion with logic and facts, because those people are never going to listen to reason.

The other group, is motivated by their own political agenda of wanting guns restricted and some even just outright banned if possible. They know that without guns, they could manipulate and control the populace very easily. Every little law, restriction or ban they get pushed ahead gives them more power. Thinking you can reason with these people is lunacy.

Without disagreeing, I propose a different theory. Rural vs urban. In rural America, guns are a way of life and a welcome tool for putting food on the table. In urban America, guns are only used for killing people.

Now think for a minute about someone who has never been military, LEO, or rural. And those same people believe government is their protector. They have been trained to call 911 if they are scared. Now imagine that person elected to public office.

They are not self sufficient. They are not responsible for their own safety. They have never been taught to take care of themselves. That very concept is as foreign to them as ancient Latin. And now they have power.

Boom! Nobody needs a gun.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Without disagreeing, I propose a different theory. Rural vs urban. In rural America, guns are a way of life and a welcome tool for putting food on the table. In urban America, guns are only used for killing people.

Now think for a minute about someone who has never been military, LEO, or rural. And those same people believe government is their protector. They have been trained to call 911 if they are scared. Now imagine that person elected to public office.

They are not self sufficient. They are not responsible for their own safety. They have never been taught to take care of themselves. That very concept is as foreign to them as ancient Latin. And now they have power.

Boom! Nobody needs a gun.

Re-read the OP's opening post in this thread. Doesn't have anything to do with rural or urban, or need vs. want.

Gun control is about control, and of the populace and nothing more. The OP is asserting that appealing to the practical or logical side of politicians, instead of making demands upon them about gun control, that maybe we could sway their opinions and directions with new gun control laws. That is pure bullshit. I would surmise that anyone that believes such BS is probably not intelligent enough to own a gun in the first place.

First of all, as American citizens, (Key word, citizens, and not subjects,) and as law-abiding gun owners, we have the 2nd Amendment, which IMO, means I should never have to appeal or demand of any politician the use of my rights.

The 2nd Amendment was written for very specific reason. To protect the citizens from an oppressive and tyrannical government. So there is no way, i'm going to grovel or beg of any politician to defend or protect my gun rights anymore.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

After some further thought about your post, I'd like to also just address that first sentence.

Do you honestly believe what you just wrote? I really hope not.

I did for many years as a youngster, grew up in the big city of Houston, and did spend lots of my summer vacations here in East Texas at my grandparents. So from a personal perspective, as youngster and as an adult, I saw guns among people in both urban and rural circumstances.

Growing up in Houston, my father was a shooter and a reloader, and we hung out at the gun ranges a lot. My father socialized and hung out with several benchrest shooters at the gun ranges. All of these people had guns and were not used in any way for "killing" people, as you mentioned. Houston is about as urban as it gets.

In the early 1990's, as an adult, I moved back to Houston for several years for work, sometimes even living there. I knew and worked with a lot of people that were gun owners, and that I shot with a lot on various gun ranges and even sporting clay ranges. Not one of those people used guns for "killing" people. And yes, the vast majority of them. like myself kept or carried for self defense as well.

I have no clue as to where you draw your conclusions from, or whether you also tend to drink of the koolade the MSM and the politicians push about guns. But I would suggest you rethink, and re-evaluate your thoughts about this.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    After some further thought about your post, I'd like to also just address that first sentence.

Do you honestly believe what you just wrote? I really hope not.

I did for many years as a youngster, grew up in the big city of Houston, and did spend lots of my summer vacations here in East Texas at my grandparents. So from a personal perspective, as youngster and as an adult, I saw guns among people in both urban and rural circumstances.

Growing up in Houston, my father was a shooter and a reloader, and we hung out at the gun ranges a lot. My father socialized and hung out with several benchrest shooters at the gun ranges. All of these people had guns and were not used in any way for "killing" people, as you mentioned. Houston is about as urban as it gets.

In the early 1990's, as an adult, I moved back to Houston for several years for work, sometimes even living there. I knew and worked with a lot of people that were gun owners, and that I shot with a lot on various gun ranges and even sporting clay ranges. Not one of those people used guns for "killing" people. And yes, the vast majority of them. like myself kept or carried for self defense as well.

I have no clue as to where you draw your conclusions from, or whether you also tend to drink of the koolade the MSM and the politicians push about guns. But I would suggest you rethink, and re-evaluate your thoughts about this.

Okay, duly noted. But I have never found anyone from a rural background that was against guns in any way. I have met many, many people from urban backgrounds that were against gun ownership.

It would be fool hardy of me to paint everyone with an urban background with a broad brush. However, my post was not intended to do that. I only proposed the theory that those politicians who are adamantly against gun ownership may be primarily of of an urban environment.

I never intended to say that urban dwellers are not wonderful law abiding patriots.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Okay, duly noted. But I have never found anyone from a rural background that was against guns in any way. I have met many, many people from urban backgrounds that were against gun ownership.

It would be fool hardy of me to paint everyone with an urban background with a broad brush. However, my post was not intended to do that. I only proposed the theory that those politicians who are adamantly against gun ownership may be primarily of of an urban environment.

I never intended to say that urban dwellers are not wonderful law abiding patriots.

Clearly then, maybe you have lived a sheltered life. I have known many people that grew up in very rural areas that didn't own gun and didn't care for guns, and therefore didn't or wouldn't ever even own a gun.

And yet you did paint with a very broad and generalized brush about people in urban areas owning guns and them being different in their uses for guns, than those living, or growing up in rural areas of the country.

And maybe before you start making such broad statements, do some research on the matter before offering your version of a theory.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Clearly then, maybe you have lived a sheltered life. I have known many people that grew up in very rural areas that didn't own gun and didn't care for guns, and therefore didn't or wouldn't ever even own a gun.

And yet you did paint with a very broad and generalized brush about people in urban areas owning guns and them being different in their uses for guns, than those living, or growing up in rural areas of the country.

And maybe before you start making such broad statements, do some research on the matter before offering your version of a theory.

The post I made was in reply to a post about POLITICIANS! Read the context. I merely offered a theory as to the possibility that most POLITICIANS who want to ban and control guns are from urban environments. And I stand by that statement. If that gets your panties in a wad, that's your problem.

Reactions: gll

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Mi dos centavos:

1. I live in a rural township surrounded by farmers/growers in the valley, and mountains all around. Pretty rural. Yet I know many people that are for gun control and some are adamantly anti-gun. One of my granddaughters is such... she fears guns, thinks they are evil, and hates guns, and fears gun owners, disapproves of people who own guns. Yet she was raised in a hunting/shooting family in an even smaller town in the valley. Conclusion: while there may be some validity to a general observation of urban/rural gun attitudes, one cannot really make a hard rule of it.

2. Regarding people that have not been military or LEO.... I have met many vets that are anti-gun, that believe guns are for killing, and think others should not own them. One such had just bought an AR for himself, but expressed that non-military trained should not have them. Also, having worked with LEOs for 40+ years, I noted many that thought people should not have guns. Esp the higher up the command chain. Those at the top are really politicians, not so much cops.

Otherwise, I think it's an interesting idea. Could be true some of the time or for some of the politicians. But I have a Congressional Rep that is from a rural county, that is supposed to be a Repub, that is really a RINO that throws us under the bus. He voted yes for the Jan 6 commission. I wouldn't be surprised to see him vote for "common sense" gun control legislation. So, at least in that one case, the theory wouldn't hold true.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If generalities held up for every individual case we would call them absolutes...

Top Bottom