• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A STORY, PERHAPS A LESSON

Way back in 1983-87, while living in West Texas, I learned that Houston’s “Wayne Walls”, formerly of Hermann Hospital, had moved his “Texas Canoe Trails” outfit from New Braunfels to the Rio Grande at the Big Bend area, just outside the Park.

Seeking a late springtime outing, I called Wayne to arrange a “float trip” down the River, through the big river canyons, including the magnificent “Boquillas Canyon”.

We took our own plane to Lajitas, which was to be our “base”. The guide we were assigned was a pretty young lady named “Karen Valentine”, same as a then current actress, but a NYC native grad student, and claimed experienced “river runner”.

Wayne assured me that this girl knew what she was doing and said she could be trusted. She insisted that we not take or carry any weapons. “Against company policy.”

In retrospect, I should have pulled-out of the deal right then. But we decided to go ahead.

The weather and day were just beautiful. 60F early, about 80F later in the day, sun & clouds, light breezes.

Ms. Black took us out of the water at a small Mexican side-canyon, where we had lunch while she regaled us with stories of drug-smuggler encounters in the area.

Looking up at the very high elevations around us, I realized that we were “sitting ducks” and demanded that we leave right then. This displeased Black, and later displeased Wayne. We were repeatedly assured that “Nothing bad could ever happen on the River.”

The very next Saturday, a group of rafters stopped there for lunch. Four of the party were shot by snipers, from the surrounding heights; two died.

I later learned that the snipers were two American teens, visiting their families in Mexico, and had done something very stupid.

But I began paying closer attention to local news of criminal activity along the border, and never took another River trip, despite many later enjoyable visits to Lajitas & Terlingua.

Wisdom in the West Texas wilderness does not come from New York City, no matter how prettily packaged.

I learned my lesson. I hope others could learn theirs by just reading of my experience.

leVieux
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I did that trip last spring.
    Drove about 6 miles north of the Tee Pees in the park and put in.

The outfitter said they rarely see any illegals in that stretch of the canyon
    Too rugged for them
    There are easier areas to cross

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did that trip last spring.
    Drove about 6 miles north of the Tee Pees in the park and put in.

The outfitter said they rarely see any illegals in that stretch of the canyon
    Too rugged for them
    There are easier areas to cross

Err, one point was that the "outfitters" LIE !

I later had a partner from Presidio/Ojinaga, who confirmed that there are many smaller drug smuggling outfits in the immediate area. The relative ISOLATION attracts them there.

But, "You pay your money, you take your chance!"

Not me, "NEVER AGAIN" !

leVieux

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve floated that section without issues. Just about any canyon provides high ground for adversaries. Engaging a long range threat that has the high ground with a pistol and questionable to limited cover isn’t a tactically sound solution, especially if you’re positioned on the Mexican beach.

The only challenge I see with being armed and beaching in the south side is you’ve now ‘imported’ a weapon to Mexico. Probably not a big deal until/unless you have to deal with LE.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    I've been down to BBNP & BBSP several time and never had a problem. I've seen a few Randers and homeland folks on patrol and even gotten text messages from the drone operators working that district. That being said, CARRY. Screw other peoples policies and rules, CYOA .

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve floated that section without issues. Just about any canyon provides high ground for adversaries. Engaging a long range threat that has the high ground with a pistol and questionable to limited cover isn’t a tactically sound solution, especially if you’re positioned on the Mexican beach.

The only challenge I see with being armed and beaching in the south side is you’ve now ‘imported’ a weapon to Mexico. Probably not a big deal until/unless you have to deal with LE.

What I told them is that I would not go back without at least a carbine with scope.

leVieux

Top Bottom