• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've noticed that many ammo companies are jumping on the subsonic/suppressor ready ammo bandwagon.

That's all well and good. However when you see a box of 230 gr RN FMJ .45 ACP "subsonic" ammo right next to a standard box of the same AND the suppressor ammo is twice the regular you have to wonder. I mean, the damn velocity is printed on the box and it's the same for both.

I guess it's a symptom of the failure of the American education system. Most kids don't get enough science education to know basic facts.

Got into a discussion with some idiot the other night. He was looking for subsonic .45 ACP loads. I tried to tell him that the problem is finding SUPERSONIC loads.

He flat didn't believe that a standard 230 gr .45 ACP load was subsonic because he's heard the crack.

At that point I just wished him good luck.
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You're correct that the 230 grain .45acp is subsonic. As long as it leaves the muzzle at below approx. 1100 ft/second, it is subsonic. The projectile travels at a speed less than the speed of sound.......... which is approximately 1100 ft/sec. The speed of sound varies with temperature, humidity and altitude, but 1100 ft/sec is a good rule of thumb.

Welcome to the vast void of firearm misunderstanding! I'm a retired teacher who worked at stamping out ignorance for 23 years. I don't worry about ignorance any longer. Let them be blissful in their fog of stupidity!

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have had the same question in my mind when I see 9mm subsonic 147 gr that is substantially more expensive, just because it says subsonic on the box. Virtually all 147gr 9mm is below 1100 fps. Unless your talking Underwood or Corbon or other specialty rounds.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    upload_2018-5-3_11-10-28.jpeg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I guess it's a symptom of the failure of the American education system. Most kids don't get enough science education to know basic facts.

I don't think it is the education system's fault. Some students just don't learn the information that is provided. Others don't remember it beyond the test.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    A fool and his money are soon separated.
    Willingly and frequently. That's the American dream right there, think of something the suckers will go bonkers over. Great examples abound on YouTube every Black Friday after Thanksgiving :)

Top Bottom