• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    So I dropped into Walmart this morning for the first time in about two months to add to my growing ammo supply ... no 9mm, but they did have some Remington .45 and .38 range ammo and I snagged a few boxes ..

OK, ok, here's the question ... for the first time, the clerk asked to see my driver license (I was paying with a credit card). I just pulled it out and handed it over, didn't think much about it until I got out in the parking lot.

Now I'm wondering .. is this some new Wal-Mart plot to feed the govt. with ammunition (no pun intended) on gun owners, or was it just some over-zealous clerk wanting backup for my credit card? As I said, it's the first time I've been asked to drag out the license on ammo buys at Walmart, and I've never been asked anywhere else -- my local gun guy and Cabela's being my usual ammo buying spots ...

Anybody have an answer?
    Venture Surplus ad

Brembo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You have to be a certain age to buy ammo in many states (if not all). They ID my dad and he is 64. They are required to check your ID - period - regardless of whether they think you are old enough or not. Its not an option. Stores not checking your ID (where required to do so) break the law and can lose their license to sell ammo (I report them all the time).

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Thanks, Brembo ... me and your Dad are about the same age ... guess I shouldn't be so suspicious ... maybe the guns at the gun store don't ask because they know me, but I'll have to pay more attention next time I visit Cabela's ...

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I've been asked for my ID on a few occasions. Just to make sure its me that's using my card. The other time which just happened once was the first time I bought pistol ammo at the local Cabelas store. After that and apparently its saved into their computer cause they've never asked me again.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    It's not just Wally World. Our local grocery store (where I'm well known) and a local auto parts store have started doing the same thing. I think it has more to do with identity theft than anything else.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    You shouldn't have given it to him. He was a cyborg programmed to visually scan & store your personal info for .gov. Messiah is coming. Have RPG ready for black helo.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Hey, CRS ... the .45 was 18.97 for 50 rds of FMJ .. .38 was 14.47 for 50. you can get better deals online for the ammo price alone, but the shipping is just murder .. I started an order last week at Natchez, I think .. 100 rds of 9mm was 19.98 ... but shipping was $15. at least wallyworld's ammo is made in the US ...

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Age check is all. Company policy is that anyone under the age of 40 is carded for alcohol, tobacco and ammo as well as certain DVDs, video games etc.

No Govt plot going on at all.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Geez....at those prices, I'm glad to be back into reloading! I had stocked up on ammo years back, and didn't start running low again until late last summer - talk about sticker shock when I walked in to buy more!! Now I'm loading range ammo for my .40's and .45's for about 7.5 cents per round....and I've got another toy ta play with! ;)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think that it is silly to check the ID of a 65 year old, but I realize that I should be expected to (as a 23 year old).

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think that it is silly to check the ID of a 65 year old, but I realize that I should be expected to (as a 23 year old).

I'm sure it's like checking ID for alcohol or getting in to a club, the law states that you can not discriminate therefore if you check one person, you have to check all.

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Their prices are kinda high but not as high as other stores I've been to. Their WWB Value packs are or were a good value when they had them in stock. I haven't seen any for the 9mm and very little for the .45 in a while in any of the 3 WW around me.

Looking at getting into reloading but that's not as cheap as it was either.

:mad:

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I check everyone's ID for credit card transactions at Red's; including uniformed LEOs, and those people that have their photo on the card. The only time I don't is when I know the person to be the person on the card.

There is alot of ID theft these days. Checking an ID should be more commonplace.

Think of all the places that DON'T check IDs... how many transactions could be ran up on your stolen credit card before someone finally does?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You have to be a certain age to buy ammo in many states (if not all). They ID my dad and he is 64. They are required to check your ID - period - regardless of whether they think you are old enough or not. Its not an option. Stores not checking your ID (where required to do so) break the law and can lose their license to sell ammo (I report them all the time).

Fail.

I buy at Cabela's all the time and the only time I am carded is if using a card. Same with McBrides Red's and Tex- Guns. I am pretty sure they have a better handle on gun laws than WM or you.

I got carded at WM by a halfwitted clerk that insisted it was "FEDERAL LAW" I called BS and told him to get a manager. The manager confirmed it was store policy and I got my ammo.

There is no law saying they have to ID you.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom