• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I realize this thread is a little old, but has anyone had experience with getting their (now recently adult) daughter a handgun? Mine is strong and athletic and handles my Sig P365 well, so I'm not worried about caliber choice. Her main concern is carrying a gun in the car in case she breaks down and/or having one at gas stations, etc on commutes. I don't think she'd appendix carry like me, so looking for opinions on how to keep it secure/accessible in the car as well as on her person briefly or maybe in a bag/purse?
    I'd have to pretty much echo @benenglish on his suggestions. SHE needs to find what suits her. I would make the same recommendation regardless of gender or age. I'm basing that recommendation on that person being new to guns. Try to find as many as possible for her to handle and see what she likes.

Personally, I'm not for, or against carrying in a purse or bag. The person carrying needs to make that choice and I see it as a personal preference choice like style of holster and what works the best for that person carrying.
    Capitol Armory ad

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    No, I haven't. But I have helped a number of women choose their first handgun.

I think I'm one of the few folks on the board who will defend off-body carry. The situation you describe would be one of those times when it's a workable choice. The problem I see is that there are so many people making so many "gun purses" of so many different designs and styles that it requires exhaustive research to find the right one. I usually find the biggest stumbling block to be style; unlike a concealed carry holster, style matters. It matters a lot.

For both questions, the answer is almost always "She makes the choice." I can expose women to all sorts of firearms and give them short lessons on every one. But I usually don't make recommendations. I find that out of any group of 20 guns, there will be one or two that she picks up and it just feels right to her. As long as that handgun is minimally suitable to the task (Single shot target pistols need not apply, no matter how great they feel to hold and shoot.), the one that feels right is the one she should consider. Then rent one and shoot a box of ammo through it. If she still feels that "Yeah, I like this" vibe, even if it's for reasons she can't articulate, then that's the gun for her.

At least, it's the first one. :)
    Some where on the Internet is video and/or blog of women trying out various makes, models and calibers to find the one they say, "Yeah, I like this". Worthwhile to track it down from several years ago. I would also suggest again the YouTube channel Armed and Styled to hear from a woman's perspective selecting a firearm and accessories, suitable fashion for women while carrying on-body, responsibility for one carrying a firearm, etc. Or just do a search on YouTube for 'women gun channels' to find other sources. And don't forget the need for training for any gun owner. Be responsible with your firearm..

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I remember now where the articles about women testing various handguns was published; American Rifleman. If you do a Google search on 'american rifleman women test handguns' you should find the articles and video.

Attachments

• img_4981-web.jpg
      img_4981-web.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 90
    Top Bottom