• I don't care

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    Looking at a 7.62x39 AR-15 for a brush gun and plinker, and wanted to know if I should get the A2 which is in stock, or the A3 and wait for it. Gonna put a small scope or laser on it, and a sling, and that's it. It will be a 16" carbine, and will be used for pig shooting.
    Texas SOT

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I would wait for the A3.

I have an A2 upper with a 20" barrel but I'm shooting NRA High Power in the Service Rifle class. From what I can understand, the A2 has a little more available elevation on the rear sight than the A3 version with the detachable carry handle. But that is something you won't have to worry about since you're going with a scope. The A3 upper will give you lots of options for sights, etc. and be a little more comfortable to shoot than trying to use a scope on top of the carrry handle on the A2.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I went with the A3 myself cause you have more options. If you decided you don't like the raised scope/redot (which is hard to get a good cheekweld on) you can remove the carry handle and mount it lower. I keep the carry handle on mine and just use the irons sights on my SHTF rifle. This is the same setup I used on several deployments (minus the PEQ-2) and it work great for me.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I'd wait for the A3. Way more options for sighting. Since you want to put a scope on it, the A3 will do better. Putting scopes atop carry handles makes cheek weld difficult. With the A3 you can get a set of flip up BUIS, and mount optics to have the best of both worlds.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    I am the lone A2 supproter-- but only because its what I carried for 6 years in the Corps (well also aan M60e3 and an M9 at times also). I do probably concede that the A3 is more flexible, but I like the A2.

Call me crazy, call me old fashioned.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I am the lone A2 supproter-- but only because its what I carried for 6 years in the Corps (well also aan M60e3 and an M9 at times also). I do probably concede that the A3 is more flexible, but I like the A2.

Hey, if the plan is to use iron sights, the A2 has a better rear sight, IIRC.

IMO, A2 vs A3 depends 100% on whether the user is going to stick with iron sights or use optics.

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico

Well being a current jarhead I must say that there is a reason we dropped the A2 and went with A3's and A4's and that is the diversity it brings go with the A3 hands down.
    The Corps in itself is old fashioned and holds on to weapons past their respective obsoletions (partly do to funding). I just hope they don't drop the SAW for some turd that only has a Mag capacity of 30 rounds that just means it is a fully auto M-16 very worthless in a fire fight in comparision!

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    While the A3 with optics is easier to shoot, I don't like the idea of being dependent on batteries, so I bought an A2. I still mounted a red dot on it, but first learned to shoot it with the iron sights.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I believe you can modify an A2 to an A3 with a few tools and some accessories.

You can with a new upper.

The A3 has a Picatinny rail running along the top of the receiver. The A2 doesn't; it has a carry handle/rear sight.

Unless you want to mill the carry handle off, mill a 1913 rail along the top of the receiver (if there is even enough aluminum up there for that) and then re-anodize the receiver...?

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    You can with a new upper.

The A3 has a Picatinny rail running along the top of the receiver. The A2 doesn't; it has a carry handle/rear sight.

Unless you want to mill the carry handle off, mill a 1913 rail along the top of the receiver (if there is even enough aluminum up there for that) and then re-anodize the receiver...?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure a few mods could be done in certain areas to bring an A2 closer to an A3 but it would never be a complete A3 due to the areas you mentioned.

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    A3 hands down.

My first AR was an A2 because I had no intention of putting a scope on it, just possibly an Eotech. Well, I have kicked myself time and time again since for buying the A2. The A3 is just much more versatile. You can add a carry handle for iron sights, or the better option (IMO) is to put flip front and rears on and then mount an optic of your choosing on a quick detach lower. Best of both worlds. I won't buy another A2. For optics the A2 flat out sucks.

Make sure you do some research on the 7.62x39 AR's first. I was going to get one until I found out the max rds you can reliably load into a mag and have it function was 7 or so. The 7.62x39 rd has to have a curved mag to feed properly. That killed my desire to purchase one.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Make sure you do some research on the 7.62x39 AR's first. I was going to get one until I found out the max rds you can reliably load into a mag and have it function was 7 or so. The 7.62x39 rd has to have a curved mag to feed properly. That killed my desire to purchase one.

I am running C-Products 7.62x39 10 and 30 round magazines in one of my ARs with no feeding problems whatsoever.

Top Bottom