• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Well I stopped looking for 2400 a year ago. I can easily live without it. Hell, I've gone about 8 years I think and I can go forever now.
    As to AA#9 as a substitute? Ahhh, no. It spikes too easily and creates higher pressures than I'm comfortable with... Nope, AA Powders are gone from my inventory!

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    After many years of reloading I've settled on AA5 for my pistol rounds, 380, 9x18, 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp, have not experience any problems in thousands of rounds, it meters well, it provides a more acceptable recoil in 40 cal not snappy like some loads, more of a push back like the 45acp.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Did you try AA#2 on your 380?
    Never tried AA2 but am told excellent in the 380, as I've aged tried to simplify the process less powders, focused on mainly target practice rounds and it has saved money and time.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Same here. Four smokeless powders & of course BP [and sub] for all firearms I own. Ridiculous having 25 different kinds of gunpowder! I can clearly see that I solder fellas are on the same track.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Never tried AA2 but am told excellent in the 380, as I've aged tried to simplify the process less powders, focused on mainly target practice rounds and it has saved money and time.

That #2 is sweet powder on the 380.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    AA#5 in 38Spl, 44Spl and 45Colt leaves lots of unburnt powder and show pronounced case sensitivity.
    I'M more of an Alliant Powder user, but I've used my share of AA#5, also. Although the current "press" on it is that it is roughly equivalent to Alliant Unique, MY experience has been that it burns more like Alliant HERCO.

The rounds you mention (in factory-spec loads) probably do not develop sufficient pressure for AA#5 to burn at its cleanest. In .357 Mag, .40 S&W and 9x19mm, I find that AA#5 burns very cleanly if my charge weights are within 5% of max, or closer. When loading that close to max, I tend to sort cases and keep them uniform. This may explain why I haven't seen any of the pronounced case(-to-case) sensitivity you mention.

I generally prefer Unique or Herco for higher pressure loads, but I have no problem using AA#5, if the others are not available. I have no experience with the other pistol powders in their line. I tend to use RedDot/Promo for pistol/revolver loads that tend to generate chamber pressures under 20,000 p.s.i.

With reference to H110/WW296, I tend to avoid its use for a number of reasons. Among other things I find Alliant 2400 and IMR-4227 FAR more forgiving, when working up maximum loads. Generally, if I have a choice of using H110/WW296 or ANYTHING else, I'm inclined to use anything else.

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    AA powders are great across the board. Ive tested them in pretty much every caliber I've loaded and they can produce top notch velocities and stats while being clean burning. Definitely better since they move them out of the CZ factory and brought them the GD but even then they were good overall.

As far as pressure spikes, can't see it in the data or with a pressure barrel for normal loadings. What were your loads and can you share the data so we can look at it? I'd be curious to see even the velocity data across a few strings through a single gun to see what type of spikes you have. #9 and #7 are fairly forgiving, I'm surprised you see spikes. Share your data, I'm very interested.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Having never used AA#9 nor AA#7, I can't really comment either way on the pressure spikes. But I, too, would be interested in seeing the data that made you leery of using these powders at higher pressures. The information you provide could keep me from having a problem in the future, and I'd CERTAINLY appreciate THAT!

Top Bottom