• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If it discourages/prevents rioting, is that not better than having rioting and then reacting after the fact when the damage is done?

Many a lawman has issued a warning and prevented crime.

It is not as though there have been no leftwing riots this year...

Slippery slope. If Texas Military Department presence prevents violence or encourages lawfulness (neither of which isn’t provable by the way), what keeps .gov from using TMD presence to influence other things, like making sure Thanksgiving dinner is a gathering of less than 10 people, according to .gov’s emergency orders?
    Guns International

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Slippery slope. If Texas Military Department presence prevents violence or encourages lawfulness (neither of which isn’t provable by the way), what keeps .gov from using TMD presence to influence other things, like making sure Thanksgiving dinner is a gathering of less than 10 people, according to .gov’s emergency orders?
    Agree it is a slippery slope.

Just not convinced that this particular instance is much of a step down that slope.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don’t think the election is going to be called on Tuesday.

Why not? CNN already called it last month.

If just the early returns point in the wrong direction and things start going like the slam dunk election of Hillary went last time, that will be enough to trigger the ones who are looking for an excuse.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The callers have become gun shy; with record turnouts and all the hype they’ve made over so many mail in ballots and knowing those won’t get counted for up to six days in some of the battleground states makes me think even if it’s a lopsided blowout that nobody will have the guts to call it, except if it’s undeniably and clear cut for Biden...like 300+ EC votes for Biden and no possible way Trump could snatch it.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Difference is public vs private property. Having the Guard out on public property, in front of the Alamo for example, is not the same as door-to-door Thanksgiving searches.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's not the act of voting they're worried about. It's the announcement of who won that they're afraid could trigger the chaos.
    This is what I think is going on. Having the TXNG staged to take over non-policing admin positions much as was done with troops on the border. They freed up a bunch of border patrol to patrol. But I don't think the polls are going to be the problem.
    If you watch, the left is already convinced themselves that they have won. Despite the fact that an incumbent has a huge advantage. The only way they think they could lose is by massive fraud or by force.
    I suspect that Abbott is thinking what I am. If they lose, there may be immediate riots. Losing has become unimaginable to them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The left was convinced hillary would win too...didn't happen...and they've been wailing and gnashing their little baby toofs ever since...and will again!
    They were shocked and surprise last time. Caught off guard.
    This election is a whole different animal. Or haven't you been paying attention. But to be honest, 6 months ago I would have said the same thing.
    Now, I wish I was more sure. I'm hoping for the best, but I am prepared either way.
    Me too Coop! I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!
    Peanut butter and maple syrup is more gooder.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Difference is public vs private property. Having the Guard out on public property, in front of the Alamo for example, is not the same as door-to-door Thanksgiving searches.

The concept remains; call it your local high school football stadium on Friday night or Christmas church services.

And then there’s the flip side of the argument as well; Texas is so unsafe that military force is required to ensure the safety of Texans at polling places, just like US forces did in Iraq and Afghanistan, precisely because .gov was incapable of doing it themselves.

It’s been a long-standing rule military forces have zero role in determining outcomes in domestic politics. Abbot’s decision to publicly announce this deployment is specifically designed to influence voters on Tuesday.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    It’s been a long-standing rule military forces have zero role in determining outcomes in domestic politics. Abbot’s decision to publicly announce this deployment is specifically designed to influence voters on Tuesday.

I have zero tolerance for using this for election influence but I don't think that is clearly why he's doing this. It could be.

I think controlling riots & letting potential rioters know we're ready is also a reasonable explanation for this move.

Top Bottom