• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Rights and privileges come with responsibilities, and what appears to be a case of irresponsible gun ownership is no exception. If that is indeed the case, they lost a child, and someone else lost a family member, directly attributable to that lack of responsibility.

Severe punishment for a parent, even though it will compound the tragedy for the family members, is nonetheless warranted in that event. So be it.

When parents are held accountable in these tragic incidents, will be when we start seeing them decline.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    The parents should be accountable is they were respossibility for not securing the gun. It is also the parents fault too for not being aware of what is going on with their kid. So many parents today are so wrapped up in their own lives that sometime the kid is a afterthought just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    karlac and txbikerman..................I agree with both of your assesments as well.

I hear folks say all the time...I was raised in a home where guns were out in the open and we never had things like this happen....well....I was too. But like it or not, times have changed. Kids have so many other influences outside of the home than what we had....and also those influences are alot worse than anything we could have imagined when we were kids.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Question.
    Do the kids who pushed this boy to the brink bear any guilt?
    Do their parents?

Legally, I suppose not, but morally.....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When parents are held accountable in these tragic incidents, will be when we start seeing them decline.

Parents have been held accountable for action like this for decades. Nothing is declining. If the kid did not get the gun, he would have gotten gasoline for the lawnmower and burned someone's house down. I had access to firearms from age zero on. I never felt the need to take the gun on a killing rampage.

Parents need to talk with their kids more and detect whether their precious honor child is a sociopath or not.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Honestly I think one of the best solutions to this is to organize and really try and get to know the neighborhoods we live in. Get out there and talk to our fellow 2a enthusiasts and make sure if they have kids they have their guns secured. I understand not everyone (especially in today's financial times and with kids) can afford to keep their weapons secured and I say that's where we can really show off one of the biggest principles to keeping government small, CHARITY. We can organize charity shoots or whatnot to help these people get a big safe for their rifles and such and a little biometric for their home defense weapon. We can't just sit on the side and wish people weren't so stupid, we have to get out PERSONALLY (read not over the internet) and educate and help people. That is the only way in the long run I see us being able to stem the tide of antis or have any hope of actually repealing many of these gun laws (of course that's if our society doesn't straight up collapse in the next few years).

Also as Renegade points out we also need to focus on the mental health side of things, doubly so for gun owning parents. There are also things we can do outside government (I know some conservatives advocating for the old loony bins to come back) for this issue. As I said in the beginning its all about community.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Honestly I think one of the best solutions to this is to organize and really try and get to know the neighborhoods we live in. Get out there and talk to our fellow 2a enthusiasts and make sure if they have kids they have their guns secured. I understand not everyone (especially in today's financial times and with kids) can afford to keep their weapons secured and I say that's where we can really show off one of the biggest principles to keeping government small, CHARITY. We can organize charity shoots or whatnot to help these people get a big safe for their rifles and such and a little biometric for their home defense weapon. We can't just sit on the side and wish people weren't so stupid, we have to get out PERSONALLY (read not over the internet) and educate and help people. That is the only way in the long run I see us being able to stem the tide of antis or have any hope of actually repealing many of these gun laws (of course that's if our society doesn't straight up collapse in the next few years).

Also as Renegade points out we also need to focus on the mental health side of things, doubly so for gun owning parents. There are also things we can do outside government (I know some conservatives advocating for the old loony bins to come back) for this issue. As I said in the beginning its all about community.

I can tell you why this probably would not work.

If you came to my house and told me I needed to take the guns I keep on the wall down and put them in the safe if would probably say "GTFO".

The difference is not the new external influences, but the lack of "internal" influences. As in, parents need to be involved with their kids. The newest rapper, lady gaggag, whichever freak show is being paraded around as the next big thing will mean nothing if the parents have taught their kids why those types should get 0 respect.

I have no problem telling my daughter that those are BAD people.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I know there's alot of gun owners out there who will take that attitude, I know its hard to break through these hard heads. But I refuse to just sit back and say ohhh well to them. Don't get me wrong I aint gonna barge my way into their house with a safe, but I feel if we really try to become more of a community and reach out to our fellow gun owners eventually these people will warm up a bit. At the very least we have a good chance of making an impact on how their kids will treat firearms around their kids when they grow up. There are ways external influences can become internal.

I will somewhat disagree with you on the music thing. I listened to alot of music my parents didn't approve of (and still do for the most part), my parents were able to instill values in me despite this. Not saying you shouldn't excoriate their music and point out the unscrupulous things some of these stars do. I should stop getting side tracked with this argument though :P

And also to clarify I don't have a problem with your wall mounted guns or anything. I'm assuming you leave them unloaded and have ammo in a safe place? Not to pry. Just saying I'm not talking about forcing CPS foster care gun rules on yall, much more reasonable than that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom