• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDM1244

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know Abilene is just about the most uncool city in Texas but I like it. The Air Force put me here in 1994 for 6 years then I was banished to the Kountry of Kalifornia for 4 years and then came back to Abilene in 2004. Repeat offender!

But I was born in Houston and Raised in Spring. Went from first grade to High School at Spring (Wunsche Middle School). Even grew up in North Hills right next to the High School. The pilot for the Goodyear blimp lived a few doors down and I got to ride it a few times. There is nothing there at all now. Not even the overpass that use to be there by the school.

I miss Spring (in about 1982). Now it is overgrown, over business'ed, and way too busy for my taste.

Say Hi to Kat at Carter's Country. She is a sweetheart.

Caveman_AF.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/hurk130/Caveman_AF.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    hey, i am about 10 miles from you. I live in Hawley. it is a lot less of cool, but I like it just fine. My dad worked at the base for 27 years before he died so I know it well. welcome to the site.

XDM1244

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a regular at Abilene Indoor Gun Range. Mr James Hill and Josh always make me feel at home. Good conversation. Good selection of guns and usually a good western playing on the TV. I think the name of the street it is on is Rex Allen. The road is very close to the Monogramers T-shirt shop near the end of Treadaway.

Yea, I have been flying C-130's at Dyess for some time now. We tease the Bone guys a lot but I wouldn't want that job brother! They wear those guys out!

And thanks for all the "Welcome and come on in" invites. This seems like a really cool board. K

CowDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    Hi, XDM1244, I haven't been here long enough myself to properly welcome you, but I saw your comment on the Abilene Indoor Range, and concur 100%.....nice place nice people. It's on Judge Ely Blvd, if I recall correctly. Wish I could go there regularly. cd

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    there is an outdoor range out at the lake. it is Abiliene gun range. it is a very nice range and my son and I are membersit is set up for both rifle and pistols. it has a 25, 50 100 and 200 yard rifle range. and it has a gong at 250 yards. you will enjoy it very much.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Welcome aboard. Nothin wrong w/ Abiliene. I grew up in Lubbock. couldnt wait for the rear view mirror. Other side of the state now but go back for the wife's family so pass through A.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    Lemme add my welcome. I joined just a few days before you and I'm still digging around - there's a ton of stuff here.

I've been out to Dyess many times, myself. The first time was in 1974 when my USAF roomie and I were stationed at Goodbuddy (Goodfellow AFB) in San Angelo and we both needed to find a decent jeweler 'cause we wanted to buy rings for the girls back home (CA for me and MO for him). Well, we decided to run up to the big city, Abilene! After a couple hours looking around, we ended up at the Dyess BX shopping a slightly bigger selection than we had down at GAFB. Oh well.

All my other visits were in connection with my work. I was an Air Traffic Controller and I worked the airspace over that area from 1984 until I retired earlier this year. Lemme tell you - when you guys do those eastbound departures climbing out along J4 towards TTT, you're a TOTAL PITA because of the westbound DFW departures.

Or... maybe THEY are the PITAs. Yeah, that's it. USAF should have priority! But, still, if you could've crossed about 40 DME east of ABI at or above FL240, I'd've been a very happy camper!

Anywho, welcome again and thanks for your service!

Bigfoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Merkel
    Just to clarify....
    Abilene Indoor Gun Range is on Ben Richey Road off of S. Treadaway.
    Also, the outdoor range has a steel target at 100yd and 200yd.

Cheers!

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Great to hear from other Abilenians...I grew up here k-12, school in Lubbock and adult life in DFW. Retired and in Abilene about half the time. May be uncool to some circles but keeps growing and lotsa folks I grew up with and Dyess retirees came home to roost..'course Hawley may be faster growth?? seems like it anyway.
    Hope to meet ya'll at the range.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    UNCOOL !!!!!!! Try living in San Angelo...Used to have to take to wife to Abilene once a month or so to eat at Olive Garden (don't laugh, lots of ppl in san angelo did this). We now we have our very own olive garden but for some reason it taste better when i have to take that 100 mile drive.
    Welcome aboard

Top Bottom