• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I photographed plenty of "dollar dances" at traditional Mexican Catholic weddings back in the 1970s. I listened to enough old folks at those weddings tell me how when they got married in the 1930s or 40s or 50s, the dollar dance raised enough money for them to buy a refrigerator or some other major purchase.

OK now the money dance at weddings I am well familiar with. But pinning money to yourself and hoping others would just out and about on your birthday is a new phenomenon to me.

Edit: And now that I've read the rest of the thread, I see it may be a Nawlins thing. That would definitely explain why I didn't know about it.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    OK now the money dance at weddings I am well familiar with. But pinning money to yourself and hoping others would just out and about on your birthday is a new phenomenon to me.
    I have never seen this or even heard of it for birthdays and weddings until this thread.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Does it have to be pins? What about a staple gun?
    Seriously, when I was seeing this, the tradition of pinning all the money to the wedding dress had fallen away. It makes for a great picture but it's a pain to remove the bills and the dress is inevitably damaged. Most of the weddings I've seen with a dollar dance (not all, but most) have simply had someone standing by the bride, collecting the money from each person who wanted a dance.

I think a staple gun would get you kicked out. :)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ZX9RCAM,

The STUPIDEST reason that I've heard lately for a murder was a man who shot his BIL over a FIVE DOLLAR bet on a HS football game, near Bandera, TX.

yours, satx

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Seriously, when I was seeing this, the tradition of pinning all the money to the wedding dress had fallen away. It makes for a great picture but it's a pain to remove the bills and the dress is inevitably damaged. Most of the weddings I've seen with a dollar dance (not all, but most) have simply had someone standing by the bride, collecting the money from each person who wanted a dance.

I think a staple gun would get you kicked out. :)

If I could put it under her garter belt, I'd probably give a fiver.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Edit: And now that I've read the rest of the thread, I see it may be a Nawlins thing. That would definitely explain why I didn't know about it.

Huh, isn't Houston "West New Orleans" now? Next thing you tell me, you've never seen a donk with swangaz either?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,
    In largely TEJANO South TX, it is traditional in some areas for the "bride's purse" to be stuffed with money by the reception guests.
    (An Army buddy & his bride got over 2,000.oo in her purse over a long/very wet wedding reception.)

yours, satx

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A while back,in Houston, there was a killing over a family member eating another family members fried chicken.
    No I am not making that up.

Top Bottom