• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I have been searching around and I cannot find any information on the rifle range at Able's in Huntsville. What are the distances?

I am a member at Madisonville, but am willing to pay a bit more if the distances at Able's are comparable.
    Venture Surplus ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    A mutual friend wanted me to pass this info on to you.

- 100yds is max
    - membership only now, no daily fees (started in March)
    - there's a LITTLE more info @ ablesgunclub . com but they seem to cater to shotgunners.

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Thanks. I knew about the membership only, but was curious as to the ranges. I am looking for somewhere to shoot to 500 that doesn't have a waiting list 3 years deep.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks. I knew about the membership only, but was curious as to the ranges. I am looking for somewhere to shoot to 500 that doesn't have a waiting list 3 years deep.

American Shooting Centers goes out to 600 yards, no waiting for a membership.

Not exactly close to you but it is a viable option to consider.

Last edited:

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia

I've had several people ask me about starting a long range facility but nobody wants to pay for it! Most people think they should just pay $10/mo for a membership and shoot unlimited. I try to point out to them that for a 1000 yard range (which is what everyone seems to think they need) you need 40-50 acres minimum and it has to be suited just so. So they want someone to plunk down $500,000 to buy land, and spend more to build berms, parking, covered benches, etc and they want it within 20-30 minute drive, and they refuse to pay more than $10/mo. At least that's most of the people I hear griping. Of course, I also know a few people who want the opposite: a private club with a $10k initiation fee and $400/mo dues with maybe a long range, and some pistol berms, and a skeet/trap/5-stand setup. That's more my flavor: clubhouse, cute girl working the counter, proshop, gun rentals, and maybe even a lake to fish in just because, like a private golf club but different.

I really haven't heard of anywhere that isn't private land past the 600 at ASC as they mentioned.

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I've had several people ask me about starting a long range facility but nobody wants to pay for it! Most people think they should just pay $10/mo for a membership and shoot unlimited.

Trust me, I understand the cost to keep a range like that. I was paying $650 a year for the club I belonged to in GA (our max distance was 750).

The only thing keeping me away from ASC is that I prefer to shoot at steel swingers at distances past 200 yards. The other thing is the per gun charge. I may only fire 100 rounds in a sitting but I tend to do it with 5 different guns. When it is 85+ degrees outside it may take up to 15 minutes for a barrel to cool down after a 5-shot group string. I use that time to shoot a different gun (or guns).

pupjoint

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Montgomery county, Tx
    It's my understanding that Blackwood gun range formerly Conroe shooting center on hwy 2854 in Conroe, has or will have very soon a 2 600 yds range. The cost I think is $14.00, but don't quote me on that. Have fun

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom