• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    It seems an awfully short season in the winter. Here is a video of a TX pheasant hunt. It looks like they are all clad in blaze orange: smart. They are hunting without dogs: sad. It looks like too many hunters on the field to be safe. It also looks confusing as to who shot what bird. The line formation should be straight: no facing about to shoot. Men should stay dressed on the man to the right. Shoot downrange only. Every shooter should stay within his own sector of fire.

Can you spot any safety no-nos in this 2015 Olton, Tx video?

My ideal pheasant hunt would have no more than three guys on the field at a given time and that's it. One or more well-trained gun dogs or retrievers. Gentleman's rotation. Each man takes turns at a flush. Only one gun firing at time.
    Military Camp

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hard to take turns when you don't know which guy will have a bird flushed out in front of him, no?

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hard to take turns when you don't know which guy will have a bird flushed out in front of him, no?
    The take-turn method only works with a small group. In a large group, at least stay in a straight line and limit shooting to your own sector. If the bird flies past one sector of fire, then it would be fair game for whomever's sector the bird was in. It's possible a hit bird may still land in somebody else's sector. Hunters shouldn't be bunched up but keep a considerable interval abreast on the line. A large hunting party like that seems like trolling on a large party fishing boat. Too many tangled lines: a total cluster. A total goat ____.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    That’s a real cluster for sure. You could not get me in the field with that many guys.

Canned hunt with pen raised birds? How else are they holding so tight to “nothing” or being flushed without dogs?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That’s a real cluster for sure. You could not get me in the field with that many guys.

Canned hunt with pen raised birds? How else are they holding so tight to “nothing” or being flushed without dogs?

Only time I hunted Pheasant in TX was 1995 or 1996. Had a girlfriend in Lubbock who’s dad had access to several sections of land, he had invited me out with him one weekend while I was visiting her from San Angelo.

We saw exactly three birds all weekend.

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Only time I hunted Pheasant in TX was 1995 or 1996. Had a girlfriend in Lubbock who’s dad had access to several sections of land, he had invited me out with him one weekend while I was visiting her from San Angelo.

We saw exactly three birds all weekend.
    Every PHEASANT hunter with a shotgun!

Top Bottom