• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m in Southeast Texas, near South Texas, for the first time in a few months.

Yesterday, on US59 approaching metro Houston, I was driving over limit, but vehicles kept tailgating & “pushing” for faster.

Even above posted construction zone limit by 22mph, they were passing me “like I was going backwards”.

This wasn’t just one or three, but numerous vehicles of all types. It was so bad that I just got way over to the right & slowed to the limit, like it or not.

I estimate that many were driving 100+ in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE.

is everyone crazy or what? I spent decades in Texas, but never experienced that, even on the DALLAS freeways.

This is extremely dangerous.

Please comment.

leVieux

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I dont care what the posted speed limits are; the left-most lanes are the "fast lanes". If you are doing the speed limit of less, you have absolutely NO BUSINESS being in the left lanes. Don't be an a-hole. GTFO of the way! YOU are causing dangerous driving conditions with your slow ass in the left lanes!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    A guy on the street I'm working on stopped at the job house and hollered "Slow tha' phuk down on this street!!!" Well... yeah... that kinna pizzed me off. I was already aware of the guy from previous events suggesting he didn't like me driving down "his" street. After he hollered at me I hollered back "How fast was I going???" :green: After a brief pause to collect his thoughts he reponded "Too damn fast!" As stated earlier I was aware of his dislike of me going down his street. When I passed his house he gave me that "look" I figured something was up so I double checked my speed as I went by. Speed limit is 20mph - I was doing 19mph.

100+ mph seems a mighty big stretch. And "many" doing that is even a bigger stretch. I'd say "Karen" need to move over n' get outta the way.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont care what the posted speed limits are; the left-most lanes are the "fast lanes". If you are doing the speed limit of less, you have absolutely NO BUSINESS being in the left lanes. Don't be an a-hole. GTFO of the way! YOU are causing dangerous driving conditions with your slow ass in the left lanes!

Well, at one point I was going 82 in the posted 55. Of course I did “move over” ASAP.

Please READ the po before commenting!

leVieux

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I’m in Southeast Texas, near South Texas, for the first time in a few months.

Yesterday, on US59 approaching metro Houston, I was driving over limit, but vehicles kept tailgating & “pushing” for faster.

Even above posted construction zone limit by 22mph, they were passing me “like I was going backwards”.

This wasn’t just one or three, but numerous vehicles of all types. It was so bad that I just got way over to the right & slowed to the limit, like it or not.

I estimate that many were driving 100+ in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE.

is everyone crazy or what? I spent decades in Texas, but never experienced that, even on the DALLAS freeways.

This is extremely dangerous.

Please comment.

leVieux
    That was probably me

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A guy on the street I'm working on stopped at the job house and hollered "Slow tha' phuk down on this street!!!" Well... yeah... that kinna pizzed me off. I was already aware of the guy from previous events suggesting he didn't like me driving down "his" street. After he hollered at me I hollered back "How fast was I going???" :green: After a brief pause to collect his thoughts he reponded "Too damn fast!" As stated earlier I was aware of his dislike of me going down his street. When I passed his house he gave me that "look" I figured something was up so I double checked my speed as I went by. Speed limit is 20mph - I was doing 19mph.

100+ mph seems a mighty big stretch. And "many" doing that is even a bigger stretch. I'd say "Karen" need to move over n' get outta the way.

I have driven over 300,000 miles on Texas highways and never have seen this. They were whizzing by when I was driving 27mph ABOVE the limit, and I did “pull over” !

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The speed limit of the left hand lane is always set by the person willing to drive the fastest. If you arent them, then move out of the way

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Depends on the location. Ever head south on 35 crossing the Red River?

I did once. I was going 95 and getting passed by just about everyone else on the road as I came out of Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Depends on the location. Ever head south on 35 crossing the Red River?

I did once. I was going 95 and getting passed by just about everyone else on the road as I came out of Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can it happen? Does it happen? LOL - without'a doubt. The area the OP is discussing - probably not. I suppose it could happen though. But I'm still in doubt.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Yes I DID read the OP, and that is exactly why I said what I said.

Obviously, from carefully reading your OP, you were at some point driving too slow to be in the left lanes - you admitted as much. AND my hat is off to you for having the decency to realize it and have the consideration for others to move yourself out of the darned way.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! I'll say again, it makes no difference what the posted speed limit says. It also makes no difference what speed the flow of traffic is going. If those in the left lanes want to go 100mph, that is thier business, not yours. You are not the self-elected police to reduce the left lane speeds.

Texas highways have signs that say the left lane is for passing only. If you're in the left lane and you're not making an effort to pass someone, then you are being a complete ass. And it causes a very dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    If you tailgate me when I am in the right lane, you are going to get very angry until you get around me. I will slow down to 20 under posted speed just to piss you off. If I am in the left lane, when I see someone gaining on me in rear view , I will signal and move over.
    LOL... I've been known to do something similar as I think "If you don't like this speed I know damn well you ain't gonna like the next speed!"

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I DID read the PO, and that is exactly why I said what I said.

Obviously, from carefully reading your PO, you were at some point driving too slow to be in the left lanes - you admitted as much. AND my hat is off to you for having the decency to realize it and have the consideration for others to move yourself out of the darned way.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! I'll say again, it makes no difference what the posted speed limit says. It also makes no difference what speed the flow of traffic is going. If those in the left lanes want to go 100mph, that is thier business, not yours. You are not the self-elected police to reduce the left lane speeds.

Texas highways have signs that say the left lane is for passing only. If you're in the left lane and you're not making an effort to pass someone, then you are being a complete ass. And it causes a very dangerous situation.

It was a long CONSTRUCTION ZONE; number of lanes open varied. I do “get out of the way ASAP” !

The question was “Has this DEGREE of speeding become usual?”

Top Bottom