ABSURD SPEEDING

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I have no doubt, per the actual wording of current texas motor vehicle laws, that it's technically illegal. I know there's parts where it defines legal roadways, and a solid line means, basically, that you can't go past it... so for sure any cop who wants to could write a ticket for pulling onto the shoulder.

Doesn't mean most, or even many, or almost any, will.

Most won't. And for as long as that's the case, then I'll continue to pull to the shoulder and let faster vehicles pass me with as little risk to everyone potentially involved as possible--- I only do it on straights long enough to see any reasonable risks. In west texas, there are a LOT of those places.

Driving from Nacogdoches to San Angelo this past Friday, a Sherriff's deputy outside of Gatesville pulled onto the shoulder when I came up behind him (my cruise was set to 77 in a 75, and based on closure rates, I"m guessing he was doing 60-65) and waved as/after I passed.

An hour later, I did the same for a DPS trooper who ran up behind me just the other side of Doole. He moved into the opposing lane to pass me right as I eased over to the shoulder. By the time he was level with my expedition, he started moving back into our lane.

If I ever get a ticket for it, I may reconsider, but for now I think there are more advantages to it than disadvantages.
Using the shoulder to:
- allowing faster traffic to pass
- to slow for a right turn
- to pass traffic turning left

Are all specifically allowed by Texas's Transportation Code.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

leVieux

Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"
Mar 28, 2013
Saint Martinville, LA
I have no doubt, per the actual wording of current texas motor vehicle laws, that it's technically illegal. I know there's parts where it defines legal roadways, and a solid line means, basically, that you can't go past it... so for sure any cop who wants to could write a ticket for pulling onto the shoulder.

Doesn't mean most, or even many, or almost any, will.

Most won't. And for as long as that's the case, then I'll continue to pull to the shoulder and let faster vehicles pass me with as little risk to everyone potentially involved as possible--- I only do it on straights long enough to see any reasonable risks. In west texas, there are a LOT of those places.

Driving from Nacogdoches to San Angelo this past Friday, a Sherriff's deputy outside of Gatesville pulled onto the shoulder when I came up behind him (my cruise was set to 77 in a 75, and based on closure rates, I"m guessing he was doing 60-65) and waved as/after I passed.

An hour later, I did the same for a DPS trooper who ran up behind me just the other side of Doole. He moved into the opposing lane to pass me right as I eased over to the shoulder. By the time he was level with my expedition, he started moving back into our lane.

If I ever get a ticket for it, I may reconsider, but for now I think there are more advantages to it than disadvantages.
A friend once got a DPS ticket for doing 71 in a 70mph zone on US 77 on the King Ranch. Couldn't believe it.

leVieux

Texas45

Well-Known
Dec 10, 2020
Not where you are
I drive 90 between Sequin and Luling ALOT. I have several times actually had a DPS who is running about 60 in the 65 zone PULL RIGHT and let cars pass him.
Wonder if he writes hisself a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP40X

Jan 1, 2021
League City, TX
I’m in Southeast Texas, near South Texas, for the first time in a few months.

Yesterday, on US59 approaching metro Houston, I was driving over limit, but vehicles kept tailgating & “pushing” for faster.

Even above posted construction zone limit by 22mph, they were passing me “like I was going backwards”.

This wasn’t just one or three, but numerous vehicles of all types. It was so bad that I just got way over to the right & slowed to the limit, like it or not.

I estimate that many were driving 100+ in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE.

is everyone crazy or what? I spent decades in Texas, but never experienced that, even on the DALLAS freeways.

This is extremely dangerous.

Please comment.

leVieux
Remember what Jeff Foxworthy said:

If the speed limit is 55 and you are doing 80 and people are passing you like you are sitting still, you ARE in Houston Texas.

The wife and I used to live in Fort Worth and visited Galveston at least 3 times a year. We moved to the Galveston area in 2019. Now when I get on I45 north to head to Houston, I immediately put it at 75 to 80 mph and people pass me all the time when I am doing 80. Most are doing 85 to 90 mph but every once a while I see a fast mover and they are doing at least 100 mph but those are kind of rare. It sure is a weird feeling that I am doing 80 and a cop passes me doing 90 and he is not chasing anyone, just going with the flow of fast lane traffic.

Now one thing, if you are ever on the southwest side of 610 near NRG and the Astrodome, a lot of Constables like to hang out there and they usually will pop you of you are doing over 65 to 70 so beware in that area.

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Sugar Land
Welcome to Houston. Everyone here drives bat shit crazy, and unfortunately if you drive any other way you won’t get anywhere as they just won’t let you in. Join or die.

Though we probably have the worst drivers in Texas, Atlanta has hands down the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in the USA when it comes to speeding and getting cut off dangerously.

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
Welcome to Houston. Everyone here drives bat shit crazy, and unfortunately if you drive any other way you won’t get anywhere as they just won’t let you in. Join or die.

Though we probably have the worst drivers in Texas, Atlanta has hands down the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in the USA when it comes to speeding and getting cut off dangerously.
That is the truth! I lived and worked in Houston off and on for some years.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Sugar Land
That is the truth! I lived and worked in Houston off and on for some years.
It’s crazy when you’re driving in DFW and people are actually being courteous on the highway. The Houston driver in me just sees it as an opportunity to get ahead of everyone else lol.

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
It’s crazy when you’re driving in DFW and people are actually being courteous on the highway. The Houston driver in me just sees it as an opportunity to get ahead of everyone else lol.
I noticed the same thing years ago. Both Dallas and Houston are very large cities with lots of drivers on the road at any given time, but driving styles are totally different.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members