• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I am old enough to remember when 18 wheeler drivers would help you know when to pass safely. When anyone going slower would pull over on to the shoulder and let you around.

Those days are gone.
    I've been amazed at the number of 18 wheeler drivers who are either completely clueless or actively aggressive on the roads now. Maybe it's the result of 4 wheeler drivers getting worse, maybe something else, but they'll now do crap like pull right in front of faster moving traffic, make ridiculous merges and lane changes, ride right on up on back of cars ... things that are quite clearly foolish at best, and if they result in a wreck would likely cost them their CDL for a while.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I dont care what the posted speed limits are; the left-most lanes are the "fast lanes". If you are doing the speed limit of less, you have absolutely NO BUSINESS being in the left lanes. Don't be an a-hole. GTFO of the way! YOU are causing dangerous driving conditions with your slow ass in the left lanes!

No, you are the dangerous one.

Yes I DID read the OP, and that is exactly why I said what I said.

Obviously, from carefully reading your OP, you were at some point driving too slow to be in the left lanes - you admitted as much. AND my hat is off to you for having the decency to realize it and have the consideration for others to move yourself out of the darned way.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! I'll say again, it makes no difference what the posted speed limit says. It also makes no difference what speed the flow of traffic is going. If those in the left lanes want to go 100mph, that is thier business, not yours. You are not the self-elected police to reduce the left lane speeds.

Texas highways have signs that say the left lane is for passing only. If you're in the left lane and you're not making an effort to pass someone, then you are being a complete ass. And it causes a very dangerous situation.

And you have no "right" to chose what laws you get to ignore but others don't.

Your question became irrelevant when I realized that you are one of THEM.
    You're getting my blood pressure up. I had to delete the response I had started to make because it was just too far over the top.
    You are one of THEM. And that's what self-centered folks like you do. No regard for anyone else.

So, just like the left has all summer, you get mad when you can't pick and choose which laws you don't have to follow? Or you get mad because you don't get your way?
    That sounds kind of self centered, don't it?

Nope. You have completely misunderstood me.

By law, the left lane is the passing lane. Texas is one of the few states that has laws for AND posts signs saying "left lane for passing only," yet few people adhere to it and the police do not enforce it.

The unwritten yet well established rules of the road include that the left lane is the passing lane. If you're in the left lane, you'd better be passing someone. If you're not passing, or not passing fast enough, people behind are you going to tailgate you and may even flash thier lights at you to communicate that you are being rude, holding up traffic, and creating an unsafe driving condition.

Common practical sense says, If the police would enforce the "left lane for passing only" as much as they do the speed limit signs, then Texas highways would be much safer.
    And if you obeyed the speeds, the left lane would be largely irrelevant, wouldn't it ?

I understand all of that but thanks.

My point is that the speed limit keeps the lowest common denominator from being dumber than normal behind the wheel.

There are a lot of those. In the slow lane and the fast lane.

I have watched everyone in this thread bitch about special snowflakes that think they should be able to pick and choose what laws they follow al summer. And now you are doing the same thing. Did common sense get checked at the door?
    I speed sometimes too. Do I have the "right" to do it? Absolutely not. Neither do you.
    Either the rules apply equally to everyone, or they apply to none. If there are "certain" rules that you ignore, don't be surprised or mad that there are others that claim the same priviledge.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    ... they don't want to be packed like sardines into boxes with other people...

That is one of the major reasons I can't do the the commuter bus into downtown. Even though I deal with more traffic in my car, I hate being packed in with others like that. Now with everything going on, I really don't want to do that.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I still do that. I learned it in Driver's Ed and it's stuck with me for over 40 years.
    Me too. Plus, on a two-lane road, if I have someone behind me and I'm about to make a left turn, I'll get over in the oncoming lane (If nothing is coming) to make my left turn and allow the driver behind me to go by without even having to slow down.

I try to balance my lead foot habits with courteous driving habits, and hope that my attempts at courtesy are infectious.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I am old enough to remember when 18 wheeler drivers would help you know when to pass safely. When anyone going slower would pull over on to the shoulder and let you around.

I remember those days. You could drive 100mph on country roads where there was little traffic. I still pull over when possible.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Y'all every been on the Autobahn in Germany? It's a fantastic place to drive...the only time you are in the left lane is if you are passing...such a fun time "making time" over there!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That is one of the major reasons I can't do the the commuter bus into downtown. Even though I deal with more traffic in my car, I hate being packed in with others like that. Now with everything going on, I really don't want to do that.
    One day I drove myself to work (I had mostly been using the commuter service from The Woodlands for a while) and when I walked in, the phone on my desk was ringing. It was my sister telling me my house was on fire. I told everyone in the room to tell the boss to put me on leave when he got in and I ran right back out the door.

I don't think I ever again felt comfortable on the commuter bus and I stopped using it completely not long after. For years, I had a stack of paper tickets that were good for that route but I never used them.

I wouldn't have felt the same way if I lived in New York. There, the mass transit is so fully developed that you can get from point to point in the city about as fast by train as by car and often faster. But for a hub and spoke system like we have in Houston, the only mass transit that doesn't suck is if you live within walking distance of a light rail station. Even then, I'd still want my own vehicle for backup.

Add in the Wu Flu and my incentive to ride any bus or rail car drops through the floor.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Me too. Plus, on a two-lane road, if I have someone behind me and I'm about to make a left turn, I'll get over in the oncoming lane (If nothing is coming) to make my left turn and allow the driver behind me to go by without even having to slow down.

I try to balance my lead foot habits with courteous driving habits, and hope that my attempts at courtesy are infectious.

It's a nice gesture, but only us old folks acknowledge it...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    What was the initiative called 30-40 years ago when Texas presented courteous driving ideas like the “Texas Pass” where slow drivers would get over two-lane roads having a wide shoulder to let others pass more safely?

What happened to those courteous driving ideas? Long since forgotten?

That's great until you get a ticket for driving on the shoulder, yep law against that also.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Did you see anywhere in my post that I block other drivers???? Or am discourteous???
    Your reply followed others talking about blocking traffic, mentioned going your speed in middle lanes, and finished up with the quote about tailgating and slowing down more. I took that to mean you're a traffic blocker. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Left Lane Cruiser....lol.

I noticed once the WuFlu hit & there wasnt much traffic.... Everyone was rolling 80+ around Houston. I just think everyone has maintained that faster speed mentality.

Hell, i was on BW8 a few months back close to Westheimer. There was a guy in the fast lane rolling 70ish with a line of cars behind him. A motorcycle cop come up through traffic & flashed his lights at him & motioned for him to get over a lane because he was holding up traffic behind him. Speed limit is 65 on that stretch of road.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    people are driving fast everywhere
    maybe it’s the lockdown / lack of traffic?

posted limit on 10 here is 60mph (left lane clearly marked passing only). I can go 70-75 in the right lane all the way across town.

that’s a big difference from how things were this time last year.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    There's a difference between driving on the shoulder, and pulling over to allow someone to pass.

Really, show me where you are exempted if you are letting other cars pass. Don't get me wrong if I'm pulling my RV on a 2 lane road I'm probably not going the speed limit. But if traffic builds up behind me I will find a place to pull over and stop.

FWIW Was anyone aware that most trailer tires (ST type) have imprinted on the sidewall "Max Speed 65MPH"?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    " I've gotta system I employ from time to time. @ 70-75mph if I can't see your parking lights in my review mirror we're probably going to have problems. If, at those speeds, I can not see the front of your hood - yep... we're slowing down. "

Your words, not mine.

If you have to lie like a Democrat to validate the point you are trying make - How valid is that point????

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom