• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Can anyone explain:

1. Why do people drive in the middle or right lane of the feeder with an empty lane to their left, then cross that empty lane to enter the onramp at the last second?
    2. Similarly, why do they drive next to the exit lane, then attempt to take the offramp at the last second?
    3. Why do people, if they use it at all, turn on their turn signal as they are turning and not before?

I have watched people do these three things daily for years, so it's obviously not accidental. If you do this, and I guarantee there are people here who do, why?
    Sub'd
    Capitol Armory ad

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Can anyone explain:

1. Why do people drive in the middle or right lane of the feeder with an empty lane to their left, then cross that empty lane to enter the onramp at the last second?
    2. Similarly, why do they drive next to the exit lane, then attempt to take the offramp at the last second?

3. Why do people, if they use it at all, turn on their turn signal as they are turning and not before?

I have watched people do these three things daily for years, so it's obviously not accidental. If you do this, and I guarantee there are people here who do, why?

being from California.

Turning on your lane change signal is just going to cause the person next to you to speed up and block you.

Moving here 0ver 10 years ago. I learned real fast that is not the case here or was not 10 years ago.

I still always signal err well after getting a +-$350 ticket for not signaling a lane change lol I only get charged the stupid tax 1 time.

And on top of that the first 2-3 times that jerk with a trailer pulling over into the right emergency lane and throwing debree all over me was confusing as hell after i figured out what they were doing and started doing it myself it was a blessing on a 2 lane road.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    To an extent, I think the scamdemic has contributed to speeding.

Less traffic means faster speeds are obtainable and perhaps even safer.

Enforcement action is "less encouraged" by many departments to limit exposure to covid-1984.

The end result is it is easier to speed and there is a low chance of being caught.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And this is why I live in the country.

I moved to Georgetown and worked in Austin for about a year after growing up in a small town.

Was heading “home” to visit one weekend and got stuck behind someone doing 50mph on FM 933 where the limit is 60. Was yelling and beating on the steering wheel before long. I realized I’d become one of “them”.

I was able to cure it though. Partly due to effort, and partly due to moving back to my small town and away from that hell hole. Now it’s back to waiting for an opportunity to pass it waiting till they move to the side. Either way they get a friendly wave (with all fingers, not just the one) as I pass by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I moved to Georgetown and worked in Austin for about a year after growing up in a small town.

Was heading “home” to visit one weekend and got stuck behind someone doing 50mph on FM 933 where the limit is 60. Was yelling and beating on the steering wheel before long. I realized I’d become one of “them”.

I was able to cure it though. Partly due to effort, and partly due to moving back to my small town and away from that hell hole. Now it’s back to waiting for an opportunity to pass it waiting till they move to the side. Either way they get a friendly wave (with all fingers, not just the one) as I pass by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Understand. Hard to see the forest through the trees.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I don't care how fast, or slow, one drives.

Yes, there are speed limits in texas, but the LAW that says, 'slower traffic keep right,' makes NO allowances for said speed limits.

I'm perfectly fine with getting a ticket for speeding- I have driven way faster than our posted limits so often, and for so long, that I'm way over due for a ticket- HOWEVER, speaking with LEO friends, I'm NOT fine with not enforcing that particular law: So few tickets, and so many oblivious people makes for significant traffic constrictions that could easily be avoided if people simply paid attention and behaved in a responsible manner.

Regardless of how fast one is driving, if it's on a multiple lane road, and someone comes up behind you, WHEN/IF you have the opportunity, please move over to the right and let them by...

Left lane camping is careless, at best, and very often greatly impedes traffic.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Cussing n flipping off are just meditation techniques. Try it you'll like it.

Booger flipping and caltrop dropping are optional but oh so relaxing.

Like deep cleansing breaths.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I use a blinker for every lane change, or turn I'm making.
    Same here, even in parking lots.

What irks me lately is that there are 2 or 3 intersections with lights near where I live where there are 2 lanes going every direction but no signals for protected left turns. Obviously, left turners must yield to approaching traffic traveling straight through the intersection.

So I'm sitting at the light in the left lane with my turn signal on. The vehicle facing me has no turn signal. Obviously, when the light turns they intend to go straight through the intersection so it's up to me to yield.

The light turns green. Nobody moves. I'm waiting for the straight-through guy to go but I guess he's playing on his phone. Eventually, he wakes up, turns on his turn signal to make a left, and I finally get to pull out.

Combine a lack of a turn signal and a little distraction and you can actually block the car across the street from you as effectively as if you just stopped in my lane ahead of me.

There was a reason my dad used to wistfully wonder about the efficacy of mounting a couple of machineguns on the hood...

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Parking lots.

If I ever meet a person who designs parking lots I may choke some sense into them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Either way they get a friendly wave (with all fingers, not just the one) as I pass by.
    I got broken of the one-finger salute early in life.

I was driving to the Dietz range over 40 years ago just after sunrise on a Sunday. An orange car topped the hill behind me and flew up on me so fast that when he hit his brakes he nearly lost control in a cloud of blue smoke. Then he floored it and passed me. I gave him the finger as he passed because I was angry. His early-morning speed run could have killed me, my dad, and him.

Top the next hill and he's on the side of the road, getting out. He sees us and gets back in his car.

Between the next two hills, he flies past again. A hill or two later, he's off on the shoulder and opening his trunk.

I turn left into the Dietz range.

I passed up the main range to go to the silhouette range. The main range was having a benchrest match and there were at least 50 cars there easily visible from the hill overlooking the range.

The guy in the orange car got to the top of that hill, saw the gathering below but obviously couldn't see my car because we were already out of sight, further down the road.

He got out, went into his trunk, pulled out a shotgun and proceeded to spray the entire crowd with multiple blasts of birdshot.

Clearly, the guy had made multiple attempts to kill both me and my father back out on the blacktop. He had failed only because his timing sucked.

I don't think I've given anyone on the road the finger since then.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Peaceful protest? I'm all for it. 100% by either side.
    Drive the speed limit? You have every legal right as well as to SAFELY pass in the left lane those that do not drive the speed limit.
    But that is not what you and others have been advocating. Is it?
    What you have been saying is that you should be able to drive as fast as you want unimpeded by others. And that they are the ones creating an unsafe situation by exceeding it like you are.
    You are wrong. You are still making excuses for doing the wrong thing.
    Using the riots as an example, maybe a little overboard. But in reality, it is the same thing on a different scale.
    YOU are the one creating an unsafe situation yet you are blaming those not driving as fast as you for any problems YOU cause by doing so. You are only concerned with how the traffic laws inconvenience poor little YOU. Not the ones following the law.
    How self centered and selfish of people to get in YOUR way and inconvenience YOU. After all, your time and life is so much more important than theirs.

If traffic is doing the speed limit, you have NO inborn right to go faster than them. To think you do is self centered and selfish.
    YOU are not special. If you get to choose what laws you obey or don't, so do others.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I respect your opposing views. I really do. I generally agree with some of your points, and I value you balancing this discussion with your views that I disagree with - I value checks and balances; reality checks.
    Thank God that we still live in a country where we can have such discussions and share our views.
    Thankful for TGT where we can have these discussions.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Same here, even in parking lots.

What irks me lately is that there are 2 or 3 intersections with lights near where I live where there are 2 lanes going every direction but no signals for protected left turns. Obviously, left turners must yield to approaching traffic traveling straight through the intersection.

So I'm sitting at the light in the left lane with my turn signal on. The vehicle facing me has no turn signal. Obviously, when the light turns they intend to go straight through the intersection so it's up to me to yield.

The light turns green. Nobody moves. I'm waiting for the straight-through guy to go but I guess he's playing on his phone. Eventually, he wakes up, turns on his turn signal to make a left, and I finally get to pull out.

Combine a lack of a turn signal and a little distraction and you can actually block the car across the street from you as effectively as if you just stopped in my lane ahead of me.

There was a reason my dad used to wistfully wonder about the efficacy of mounting a couple of machineguns on the hood...
    I am a strong advocate for twin .50 cals.

We've discussed many different things. For me, with the meat separated from the bone, it all revolves around one thing - inconsideration just pisses me off. Driving, careless words that hurt, actions that clearly say "I don't give a phuk about you!" Yeah. Buddie that'll do it!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    When anyone is courteous to me......

I always roll the window down and and stick my arm out and wave.....

Just to make sure they see it....

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I’m in Southeast Texas, near South Texas, for the first time in a few months.

Yesterday, on US59 approaching metro Houston, I was driving over limit, but vehicles kept tailgating & “pushing” for faster.

Even above posted construction zone limit by 22mph, they were passing me “like I was going backwards”.

This wasn’t just one or three, but numerous vehicles of all types. It was so bad that I just got way over to the right & slowed to the limit, like it or not.

I estimate that many were driving 100+ in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE.

is everyone crazy or what? I spent decades in Texas, but never experienced that, even on the DALLAS freeways.

This is extremely dangerous.

Please comment.

leVieux

You would hate metro San Antonio, insane drivers and what I believe is the road rage capital of North America.

Top Bottom