• ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Can anyone explain:

1. Why do people drive in the middle or right lane of the feeder with an empty lane to their left, then cross that empty lane to enter the onramp at the last second?
    2. Similarly, why do they drive next to the exit lane, then attempt to take the offramp at the last second?
    3. Why do people, if they use it at all, turn on their turn signal as they are turning and not before?

I have watched people do these three things daily for years, so it's obviously not accidental. If you do this, and I guarantee there are people here who do, why?

On #3. In Dallas using a turn signal to change lanes allows the asshats to know your intentions and therefore block you.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got broken of the one-finger salute early in life.

I was driving to the Dietz range over 40 years ago just after sunrise on a Sunday. An orange car topped the hill behind me and flew up on me so fast that when he hit his brakes he nearly lost control in a cloud of blue smoke. Then he floored it and passed me. I gave him the finger as he passed because I was angry. His early-morning speed run could have killed me, my dad, and him.

Top the next hill and he's on the side of the road, getting out. He sees us and gets back in his car.

Between the next two hills, he flies past again. A hill or two later, he's off on the shoulder and opening his trunk.

I turn left into the Dietz range.

I passed up the main range to go to the silhouette range. The main range was having a benchrest match and there were at least 50 cars there easily visible from the hill overlooking the range.

The guy in the orange car got to the top of that hill, saw the gathering below but obviously couldn't see my car because we were already out of sight, further down the road.

He got out, went into his trunk, pulled out a shotgun and proceeded to spray the entire crowd with multiple blasts of birdshot.

Clearly, the guy had made multiple attempts to kill both me and my father back out on the blacktop. He had failed only because his timing sucked.

I don't think I've given anyone on the road the finger since then.
    Valid point, Ben. You never know who's behind the wheel. Kinda like picking a fight with a stranger. They could be mma champ.

De-escalation is the name of the game.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But you can answer, please? You do it outta habit or courteous.

I only single when I know someone is relying on me
    That's the thing about parking lots. You never know when someone is relying on you. There are pedestrians all over the place, walking out from between cars, darting across the driving lanes, and sometimes seeming to deliberately hide from detection. I hate it when a pedestrian is pacing my car in my right-side blind spot. I don't know they're there but if I need to turn right I could very well hit them. They need to know what I'm about to do even if I don't know that they need to know.

Besides, sometimes those pedestrians will clear a crosswalk more quickly when I'm signalling that I need to drive where they're standing. The courtesy can go both ways.

Top Bottom