• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I find speed “limits” more like guidelines when the traffic density is a car every 10 miles...

Frankly, I couldn't care one bit what speed people drive at. I don't set the speed limits and I sure as hell don't enforce them. Whatever a person's wallet and insurance premiums can stand is fine with me.

I care more about reckless drivers, drunk drivers and drivers that are a danger to other drivers on the road.
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Actually, TXDOT does agree with me. Try reading the complete statute.

I have read the statutes multiple times. And have tickets to show for it in my younger days.
    Here is the relevant verbiage in the statute.

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Frankly, I couldn't care one bit what speed people drive at. I don't set the speed limits and I sure as hell don't enforce them. Whatever a person's wallet and insurance premiums can stand is fine with me.

I care more about reckless drivers, drunk drivers and drivers that are a danger to other drivers on the road.

The problem comes up when you start asking people “Are you a good driver?”. Even the reckless ones will say yes. They just think they are good enough to drive like they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So what if I regularly operate a motor vehicle safely above say 120mph, do I get any lee way? Nope, I didn’t think so.
    My defense is as long as I do not endanger anyone else, why should you care.
    Yeah, I know, the law is the law.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

Update:

I drove the same roads this morning, it was back to normal.

I could care less how fast a person drives out on open roads.

The o p was about people going ~ 100mph in heavy traffic in a construction zone, endangering EVERYONE !

leVieux

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    1. Because the left lane is only for passing?
    2. Because they are not paying attention and/or don't know where they are or where they are going.
    3. Same as number 2.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    1. Feeders aren’t freeways, so that doesn’t apply. Had it happen again on the way home this afternoon, some mental midget tried to enter the freeway by passing through my car. Realizing that physics prohibits such things, he tried slowing down enough to pass through the lifted Silverado behind me. Finding the physical laws still apply, we was forced to continue straight in the middle lane to the next on-ramp.
    2. Happens far too frequently and purposefully for that to be most often true. Same as #1, people are genuinely acting like the lane doesn’t exist and get surprised when someone is there when trying to drive through them.
    3. Again, it’s too deliberate. You can follow someone for a while and watch them make multiple turns, each time hitting the signal AS they turn. Not before.

These are honest questions, I want to understand the mindset of this type of driver.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The problem comes up when you start asking people “Are you a good driver?”. Even the reckless ones will say yes. They just think they are good enough to drive like they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with that, but not something that I concern myself with.
    So what if I regularly operate a motor vehicle safely above say 120mph, do I get any lee way? Nope, I didn’t think so.
    My defense is as long as I do not endanger anyone else, why should you care.
    Yeah, I know, the law is the law.

For some reason, you keep assuming that I care, or how fast you drive is of concern to me. It's not. Yes, the law is the law, but I have not the least bit of influence over those laws than you do.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    1. Feeders aren’t freeways, so that doesn’t apply. Had it happen again on the way home this afternoon, some mental midget tried to enter the freeway by passing through my car. Realizing that physics prohibits such things, he tried slowing down enough to pass through the lifted Silverado behind me. Finding the physical laws still apply, we was forced to continue straight in the middle lane to the next on-ramp.
    2. Happens far too frequently and purposefully for that to be most often true. Same as #1, people are genuinely acting like the lane doesn’t exist and get surprised when someone is there when trying to drive through them.
    3. Again, it’s too deliberate. You can follow someone for a while and watch them make multiple turns, each time hitting the signal AS they turn. Not before.

These are honest questions, I want to understand the mindset of this type of driver.
    You have been married long enough to know this:
    There are some things in this world that mortal men will never understand. Trying just gets you a headache and frustrated.

There have been times I have asked that, or a similar question. The answer just makes me feel dumber and go WTF?

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Calling all autobots! Calling all autobots!

You all suck, get over yourselves. None of you can drive. Bunch of arrogant road hogging slack jawed light in the loafers ford pinto driving rejects from a high school drivers ed class wannabes.

In my best R. Lee Ermey voice, You all drive like old people shit. Slow and unpredictably.

Find something substantial to argue about like the Doctrine of predestination in the Christian faith or something. Does man really have free will if they are literally predestined to believe one way or another. Not thus amateur bullshit about speeding laws and traffic control concepts.

Frakin mary's!

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Cops don't use turn signals either.
    Funny, I tend to find myself signaling my turns even when running code-3...

Cops don't signal any less than the rest of the population, and so long as they are responding to a call are not required to by law.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If I ever meet the person who designed the on/off ramps on I35 and the Mopac Express in and around Austin I would do the same. They actually contribute to congestion when there is higher traffic volume.
    I35's ramps were designed in the 60s when speeds and volume were slower... mopac is space restricted...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    And this, Ladies and gentlemen is what happens when you try to provide a logical answer to explain illogical actions!

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I have a question for the slow and fast drivers in this thread. What does the speed limit actually matter with electric autonomous vehicles, which by the way no matter what your asses say is a better driver than anyone in this thread. Statistically provable. 10s of Millions of miles driven with 1 fatality and that was a pedestrian that walked in front of the car.. AT NIGHT.. WHILE THE CAR WAS GOING 55 MPH... ON A MAJOR ROAD... NOT AT A CROSS WALK..

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have a question for the slow and fast drivers in this thread. What does the speed limit actually matter with electric autonomous vehicles, which by the way no matter what your asses say is a better driver than anyone in this thread. Statistically provable. 10s of Millions of miles driven with 1 fatality and that was a pedestrian that walked in front of the car.. AT NIGHT.. WHILE THE CAR WAS GOING 55 MPH... ON A MAJOR ROAD... NOT AT A CROSS WALK..

Umm, I am pretty certain I have read of more than one accident involve selfdriving cars.

But hey, Microsoft never has bugs in its software...

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Umm, I am pretty certain I have read of more than one accident involve selfdriving cars.

But hey, Microsoft never has bugs in its software...

Only one fatality involving an AUTONOMOUS vehicle according to the NTHSA. The other crashes were the steering wheel control when humans were SUPPOSED to be still holding the wheel but decided the machine could do the driving even though the design was not meant to do that.

As far as your post about microsoft bugs. These run on ARM processors and don't even use the same language as Microsoft. They're programmed but much more skilled coders than Gates ever hoped to be. Even half assed they'd still drive better than you.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    First, your single fatality statistic is wrong. Second, your statistically better driver claim is flawed at best when the technology is still relying on a human to bail its ass out. Pretty tough to claim it's "better" when the system basically says "Oh shit I don't know what to do, please take the wheel human!" These cars hit shit all the time. Mistaking a panel van for a cloud and plowing right into it at full clip. Not able to decide which side of a freeway fork to take, so it takes the crash barrier in the middle. Apparently getting bored in a line of cars waiting at a toll plaza, so it goes full throttle into the car in front of it. Driving off the freeway, blowing a red light and killing a couple people in a Honda, because reasons. Slamming into a parked firetruck and killing the passenger in the car, which makes sense because fire trucks are tiny and hard to see. Sure they're getting better the more we work on them, but to say they're currently better than the best human drivers is simply not true. Better than those people driving with their nose buried in their cell phone? Maybe.

So then ... What can AI do better than humans? Follow directions. Work cooperatively with other AI following the same directions. That's about it. AI is mediocre at best for dealing with uncertainties. At best they assign confidence metrics to available data and follow a truth table to "decide" what to do. Humans have something AI has yet to replicate - intuition. When driving, people who are paying attention are using that to predict uncertainty. We try to 'teach' the AI to do the same things, but it can only fall back on the assumptions and confidence metrics. Humans are better than AI at image classification, pattern recognition, correlations, etc. So, to finally answer your question on speed, the only way the world will ever get to the point speed limits can be eliminated in the legal sense is if ALL driving is AI controlled. The plebeians of the world are obviously openly excited about this - they don't want to drive, they don't like to drive, and they'd much rather let someone/something take over that task while they watch Tik Toks and play Candy Crush on their phones.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom