• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The danger of pulling over to the shoulder/breakdown lane is this. The folks that could/should be doing this are seldom aware of anything ~10' beyond their hood. Meaning... they politely pull over to the breakdown lane never once noticing the car with the family of four in the breakdown line 50' in front of them. @ 50 mph the car in the breakdown lane is traveling ~75' per second. Things get real nasty real fast.

Doesn't have to be a family of 4 - could be a guardrail where the breakdown lane disappears as it crosses a bridge or culvert. Debris, boards, nails, naked mannequins litter the breakdown lane. It's dangerous to run 50-60 mph in a lane designed for breakdown usage.

That said... I do it and I appreciate those that do it. But rest assured if someone pulls to the breakdown lane for me I'm checking the breakdown lane for obstacles for them BEFORE I begin a pass.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Then one interpretation of that would be drive on the shoulder except when passing, right?

Id refer to this as my answer sir.

drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

Since its pretty clear to me right hand lane available would mean legal lane unless impeding the flow of faster traffic.

Guess thats the difference between considerate (usually) country folk and inconsiderate (most often) city dwellers.

If youve ever lived in rural TX you know what it is to move right be it when your driving your truck or your tractor and a faster moving vehicle comes up behind.

And referring to being approached from rear by faster traffic whats so hard about moving over be it on a 2 lane or hwy. Nothing more annoying than that idiot who for whatever reason seems to think the passing lane is the pace the guy in the right lane on the hwy. Or that guy that just finds it entertaining to pretend he’s keeping us all safe.

Kinda like the ones the enter an 70 mph hwy at oh 45 cuz they never figured out exactly what the long entrance ramp was intended for.

So they could blend in at speed not at 45 and present a much greater danger to themselves and other drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    The danger of pulling over to the shoulder/breakdown lane is this. The folks that could/should be doing this are seldom aware of anything ~10' beyond their hood. Meaning... they politely pull over to the breakdown lane never once noticing the car with the family of four in the breakdown line 50' in front of them. @ 50 mph the car in the breakdown lane is traveling ~75' per second. Things get real nasty real fast.

Doesn't have to be a family of 4 - could be a guardrail where the breakdown lane disappears as it crosses a bridge or culvert. Debris, boards, nails, naked mannequins litter the breakdown lane. It's dangerous to run 50-60 mph in a lane designed for breakdown usage.

That said... I do it and I appreciate those that do it. But rest assured if someone pulls to the breakdown lane for me I'm checking the breakdown lane for obstacles for them BEFORE I begin a pass.

Those are the ones I call “driver challenged”. Oh and its the majority out there seems the Phone etc is far more important than the 2ton death missile their operating.

They are also the same ones who pass ya on the hwy only to stick themselves behind some other slower car about 4 cars ahead as they bob n weave cuz they hood ornament is far as their looking.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    being from California.

Turning on your lane change signal is just going to cause the person next to you to speed up and block you.

Moving here 0ver 10 years ago. I learned real fast that is not the case here or was not 10 years ago.

I still always signal err well after getting a +-$350 ticket for not signaling a lane change lol I only get charged the stupid tax 1 time.

And on top of that the first 2-3 times that jerk with a trailer pulling over into the right emergency lane and throwing debree all over me was confusing as hell after i figured out what they were doing and started doing it myself it was a blessing on a 2 lane road.
    When I see another driver using turn signals, I wonder where they live. Obviously not here.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I have no doubt, per the actual wording of current texas motor vehicle laws, that it's technically illegal. I know there's parts where it defines legal roadways, and a solid line means, basically, that you can't go past it... so for sure any cop who wants to could write a ticket for pulling onto the shoulder.

Doesn't mean most, or even many, or almost any, will.

Most won't. And for as long as that's the case, then I'll continue to pull to the shoulder and let faster vehicles pass me with as little risk to everyone potentially involved as possible--- I only do it on straights long enough to see any reasonable risks. In west texas, there are a LOT of those places.

Driving from Nacogdoches to San Angelo this past Friday, a Sherriff's deputy outside of Gatesville pulled onto the shoulder when I came up behind him (my cruise was set to 77 in a 75, and based on closure rates, I"m guessing he was doing 60-65) and waved as/after I passed.

An hour later, I did the same for a DPS trooper who ran up behind me just the other side of Doole. He moved into the opposing lane to pass me right as I eased over to the shoulder. By the time he was level with my expedition, he started moving back into our lane.

If I ever get a ticket for it, I may reconsider, but for now I think there are more advantages to it than disadvantages.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have no doubt, per the actual wording of current texas motor vehicle laws, that it's technically illegal. I know there's parts where it defines legal roadways, and a solid line means, basically, that you can't go past it... so for sure any cop who wants to could write a ticket for pulling onto the shoulder.

Most won't. And for as long as that's the case, then I'll continue to pull to the shoulder and let faster vehicles pass me with as little risk to everyone potentially involved as possible--- I only do it on straights long enough to see any reasonable risks. In west texas, there are a LOT of those places.

Driving from Nacogdoches to San Angelo this past Friday, a Sherriff's deputy outside of Gatesville pulled onto the shoulder when I came up behind him (my cruise was set to 77 in a 75, and based on closure rates, I"m guessing he was doing 60-65) and waved as/after I passed.

An hour later, I did the same for a DPS trooper who ran up behind me just the other side of Doole. He moved into the opposing lane to pass me right as I eased over to the shoulder. By the time he was level with my expedition, he started moving back into our lane.

If I ever get a ticket for it, I may reconsider, but for now I think there are more advantages to it than disadvantages.
    Using the shoulder to:
    - allowing faster traffic to pass
    - to slow for a right turn
    - to pass traffic turning left

Are all specifically allowed by Texas's Transportation Code.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

A friend once got a DPS ticket for doing 71 in a 70mph zone on US 77 on the King Ranch. Couldn't believe it.

leVieux

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I drive 90 between Sequin and Luling ALOT. I have several times actually had a DPS who is running about 60 in the 65 zone PULL RIGHT and let cars pass him.
    Wonder if he writes hisself a ticket.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    I’m in Southeast Texas, near South Texas, for the first time in a few months.

Yesterday, on US59 approaching metro Houston, I was driving over limit, but vehicles kept tailgating & “pushing” for faster.

Even above posted construction zone limit by 22mph, they were passing me “like I was going backwards”.

This wasn’t just one or three, but numerous vehicles of all types. It was so bad that I just got way over to the right & slowed to the limit, like it or not.

I estimate that many were driving 100+ in the CONSTRUCTION ZONE.

is everyone crazy or what? I spent decades in Texas, but never experienced that, even on the DALLAS freeways.

This is extremely dangerous.

Please comment.

leVieux
    Remember what Jeff Foxworthy said:

If the speed limit is 55 and you are doing 80 and people are passing you like you are sitting still, you ARE in Houston Texas.

The wife and I used to live in Fort Worth and visited Galveston at least 3 times a year. We moved to the Galveston area in 2019. Now when I get on I45 north to head to Houston, I immediately put it at 75 to 80 mph and people pass me all the time when I am doing 80. Most are doing 85 to 90 mph but every once a while I see a fast mover and they are doing at least 100 mph but those are kind of rare. It sure is a weird feeling that I am doing 80 and a cop passes me doing 90 and he is not chasing anyone, just going with the flow of fast lane traffic.

Now one thing, if you are ever on the southwest side of 610 near NRG and the Astrodome, a lot of Constables like to hang out there and they usually will pop you of you are doing over 65 to 70 so beware in that area.

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Welcome to Houston. Everyone here drives bat shit crazy, and unfortunately if you drive any other way you won’t get anywhere as they just won’t let you in. Join or die.

Though we probably have the worst drivers in Texas, Atlanta has hands down the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in the USA when it comes to speeding and getting cut off dangerously.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Welcome to Houston. Everyone here drives bat shit crazy, and unfortunately if you drive any other way you won’t get anywhere as they just won’t let you in. Join or die.

Though we probably have the worst drivers in Texas, Atlanta has hands down the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in the USA when it comes to speeding and getting cut off dangerously.

That is the truth! I lived and worked in Houston off and on for some years.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    That is the truth! I lived and worked in Houston off and on for some years.

It’s crazy when you’re driving in DFW and people are actually being courteous on the highway. The Houston driver in me just sees it as an opportunity to get ahead of everyone else lol.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It’s crazy when you’re driving in DFW and people are actually being courteous on the highway. The Houston driver in me just sees it as an opportunity to get ahead of everyone else lol.

I noticed the same thing years ago. Both Dallas and Houston are very large cities with lots of drivers on the road at any given time, but driving styles are totally different.

Top Bottom